Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary Bay Fundraiser for FREE Cam /Wind Meter at 3rd Av!

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by bandito » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:51 pm

I just talked to a owner at Centennial beach close to 3rd av at Boundary Bay. He is all good with it. I will install Wt help the post to mount the device on the property corner or even possibly close by on the beach. The sensor/cam from Weatherunderground plugs on their system easy, check it online. .Money is needed!!! IM me for info / discussion/donation(money,labor/material/knowledge) Thanks to all Windsurfer, kiters, and wind friends. I vision more of those FREE sensor all over ,like one in Tsawassen ferry /white rock, ,Locus Usa and who knows. Thanks for your support and cooperation. Let's make it happen for all of us.
Last edited by bandito on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
bandito

by BCKiter123 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:12 pm

Awesome, thanks Ben! Which one were you thinking?
https://www.wunderground.com/weathersta ... gguide.asp
BCKiter123

by Faceplant » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Good Job. I'll contribute some cash-o-la.
Faceplant

by bandito » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:35 pm

A decent system battery solar powered and wi fi. We need to keep low bandwide Mb to be free and please the owners. We need only wind data and cam, so probably fix,maybe automatic sweep pics, every 5 min or so data sent. Maybe you analyse the different systems n options ;) Geeks analyst welcome !!!! Again, low bandwide for free. I believe we can easely setup many that way if low MB . Also $ issue , so a decent system wt fix cam is probably cheaper by a lot and trouble free. my concern on those is they seem a bit too wide angles, Make sure it easily connect to internet And Weatherunderground!!
bandito

by telus022420 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:43 pm

Devise an implementation & maintenance plan (timeline, cost, internet access, web interface) and submit to the SWS. This should be a list of volunteers and their contribution to the effort. Keep it simple.

Also get a list of SWS members who support this effort and submit with your plan.

I think you will have a good chance of getting funding. Good Luck.

Dont forget to post your request on Kiteboard BC Forum.
telus022420

by Slappy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:01 pm

Why setup another camera when we already have a good one?

I would just focus on quality wind data, the weatherflow "sky" station looks great but I don't think it's shipping yet:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/weat ... stations#/
Slappy

by BCKiter123 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:31 pm

telus022420 wrote:Devise an implementation & maintenance plan (timeline, cost, internet access, web interface) and submit to the SWS. This should be a list of volunteers and their contribution to the effort. Keep it simple.

Also get a list of SWS members who support this effort and submit with your plan.

I think you will have a good chance of getting funding. Good Luck.

Dont forget to post your request on Kiteboard BC Forum.

Good thinking. I believe SWS has most of our email addresses and they could send an email blast to all members.

Probably many companies selling these weather stations but some features of interest to me:
-reliability and accuracy (if it's blowing 20 knots SE, sensor reads 20 knots SE)
-real time graph/data similar to SWS has at the spit, and mobile-friendly (BB/iOS/Android). Maybe host the graph on SWS website (or wtfbc / kiteboard bc forum)
-Forecasting? (we all probably use multiple sites for this)
-reasonable cost (shouldn't be a problem if a bunch of us chip in)
-others?
BCKiter123

by bandito » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:40 pm

Slappy wrote:Why setup another camera when we already have a good one?

I would just focus on quality wind data, the weatherflow "sky" station looks great but I don't think it's shipping yet:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/weat ... stations#/

I think for the diff of price,if not too much,the cam is nice and it ensure that we got that covered for sure, no matter what, as long that station is on.I will start investigating options. as for data avail on phone, you can access weatherunderground anytime. as graph and such , I believe those are 3rd parties prog that take data and regurgitate them . I know a kiter who made such a program and I will talk to him, he can use data like from weatherunderground, and put on a graph form. im not a geek btw.
Last edited by bandito on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandito

by bandito » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:00 am

the installation is labor extensive and $, I figure I will do it. Pour a slab of concrete thick n wide n deep enouph .hammer drill and bolt on galvanise plate for 4x4 or 5x5 post if pressure treated wood or same with receptacle if 1 3/4 to 3 inch metal pole(which id prefer for durability and strength ) is use. I think its have to be high enouph to detract from vandalism and better wind reading . like 12' or more tall . on weatherunderground they got deals on complete solar setup for decent price and I like they are free wt other people like us, they even rate the diff systems and there is promotions, so far I think they are my first choice. As support from SWS ,I will consider that option. btw, are they lowering the exorbitant 20$ a day ,165$ a year fees? I bet not.
bandito

by Michael » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:03 am

Slappy wrote:I would just focus on quality wind data, the weatherflow "sky" station looks great but I don't think it's shipping yet:

I agree we should focus on wind data as we do have a good camera up. I talked to the guys at iwindsurf about using the "sky station" but it will not be ready for a long time.

If we have found someone willing to host a station why not get the iwindsurf one installed there. I know you guys want a free access station but we need money up front and if anything goes wrong with it we have to fix it and that costs more money. The other good thing about the iwindsurf one is it uses a 20W solar panel so no power and we don't need a phone line, it has a GPRS modem which means no cost to the host or us. It's also on another level as far as equipment goes. This is the new one and it cost $5000..... they will also install it for us.

Please consider this??
Attachments
CLM_example.jpg
CLM_example.jpg (68.42 KiB) Viewed 16859 times
Michael

Next

Return to General