Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tides WTF

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Faceplant » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:37 pm

How is it possible that on Sunday we have near 15 foot tide at Bbay and also at horseshoe bay. At locust it is only 9 feet? Different gravitational forces combined with rare anomoly of iscostatic rebound?
Faceplant

by Slappy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:48 pm

That's just tides, different areas get different tidal swings. The Bay of Fundy gets like 50 foot tides. Most of the world gets much smaller tides than we do. It's all about how the water likes to slosh.

Look at the variation around Cape Cod:
http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/czm/storms ... e-wave.pdf
Slappy

by Faceplant » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:03 pm

Ok, Thanks. I lived in NB when younger. I witnessed the entire bay we lived on empty during really big tides.
I think I'll head to Locust this weekend. If it had been king tide, it would't be possible, but a 9 footer is doable.
Faceplant

by letsflykites » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:21 pm

What does the tide matter anyways?

I mean, sure I can see how a really low tide might mean a longer walk at 3rd Beach but other than that....???
“Excitement is the more practical synonym for happiness, and it is precisely what you should strive to chase. It is the cure-all.”
― Timothy Ferriss, The 4-Hour Workweek
letsflykites

by Alton » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:29 pm

letsflykites wrote:What does the tide matter anyways?

I mean, sure I can see how a really low tide might mean a longer walk at 3rd Beach but other than that....???

High tide can limit the area to safely launch your kite. For example, launching at White Rock East Beach above 3.7m is very sketchy. Also above 7 ft at Locust Beach is sketchy.

High tide launches are challenging with marginal onshore wind. Sometimes shore break is nasty.

Waves in Boundary Bay after often disorganized when tide is above 3.5m. My favorite Boundary Bay waves appear when tide is well below 3m. I heard Columbia Beach is the opposite - better waves when tide is high.
Alton

Return to General