Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

English Bay – Who What When Where Why?

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by mjamero » Tue May 03, 2016 1:14 pm

Spring is here. Summer is coming. With the warmer weather more predictable westerly’s are beginning to flow in to English Bay.

My hope is that this thread can be a reference for information on the various English Bay launch locations and how they relate to each other.

As far as I am aware, the viable sailing spots in English Bay are all on the south shore. From West to East they are:

Acadia
Spanish Banks
Locarno Beach
Jericho Sailing Center
Jericho Beach
Kitsilano?

To begin: When and why is one location preferred over the other?

I usually launch from the Sailing Center. My last windsurfing session from there was a good one. As usual though, once I sailed further out I could look west and see windsurfers ripping in and out from Locarno. Further west I could see several Kiters at Spanish Banks (too far to see windsurfers). I usually do Jericho because it’s where I learned and it’s familiar. It is also convenient, safe, accessible even on low tides, and has a good following of other windsurfers for camaraderie. However, I am very much aware that the pier on the west side can cause a wind shadow. I have launched from Locarno a few times but it can be a chore getting in and out on a low tide. Also now that they have those new signs in the water there is not as much room.

So what are your thoughts on English Bay?
Last edited by mjamero on Tue May 03, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjamero

by LeopardSkin » Tue May 03, 2016 1:27 pm

Mid to high tide, Acadia is my favourite. Nice swell. Occasionally people mistakenly refer to Acadia as Spanish Banks.

Low tide, Locarno is my go to. Choppy water though. Free parking at Locarno too. There's a food concession. Short walk to the Jericho Sailing Centre for food and beer. Lots of people consider Locarno and Jericho to be the same Beach.

I've never heard of people launching at Kits Beach.
LeopardSkin

by Roxstock » Tue May 03, 2016 1:38 pm

I never see windsurfers at kits but I kite there when I can. It gets a few more knots than Jericho but it's on shore and usually busy, so not the best launch and landing. You can get some nice big swell out in the channel which is fun.
Roxstock

by mjamero » Tue May 03, 2016 1:56 pm

Jericho Sailing Center (JSCA) more pro's and cons

Pros.
+Convenient washrooms.
+Usually easy to find parking during busy times.
+Environment Canada Marine forecast posted at the entrance to the Sailing Center. (Just in case you forgot to check. Not usually an issue with members on here. :D
+Lots of grassy areas to rig up on.
+Hose if you need to rinse gear.
+Jericho rescue if REALLY needed.

Cons.
-Pay Parking April 1st - Sept. Day parking is kind of expensive. Recommend the season parking pass for about 85 bucks. Or drop your gear off, then go park at the free Locarno side and walk over.
-On an increasing tide and strong westerly you can drift towards the city and out of site pretty quickly. Watch you do not drift in to the rocks on the east side of the beach.
-It can get VERY busy on the water. Especially in the summer on weekends. Windsurfing lessons, paddle board lessons, sailing lessons, regattas, kayakers, etc, lazers. With so much traffic at times it can be difficult to get back to shore. Many people on the water do not know right of way so be careful.
-No Kiteboarders aloud at the sailing center.
mjamero

by mjamero » Tue May 03, 2016 2:00 pm

Do many Windsurfers go to Spanish Banks or is it mostly a Kiter's spot?
mjamero

by C36 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:04 pm

mjamero wrote:Spring is here. Summer is coming. With the warmer weather more predictable westerly’s are beginning to flow in to English Bay.

My hope is that this thread can be a reference for information on the various English Bay launch locations and how they relate to each other.

As far as I am aware, the viable sailing spots in English Bay are all on the south shore. From West to East they are:

Acadia
Spanish Banks
Locarno Beach
Jericho Sailing Center
Jericho Beach
Kitsilano?

To begin: When and why is one location preferred over the other?

I usually launch from the Sailing Center. My last windsurfing session from there was a good one. As usual though, once I sailed further out I could look west and see windsurfers ripping in and out from Locarno. Further west I could see several Kiters at Spanish Banks (too far to see windsurfers). I usually do Jericho because it’s where I learned and it’s familiar. It is also convenient, safe, accessible even on low tides, and has a good following of other windsurfers for camaraderie. However, I am very much aware that the pier on the west side can cause a wind shadow. I have launched from Locarno a few times but it can be a chore getting in and out on a low tide. Also now that they have those new signs in the water there is not as much room.

So what are your thoughts on English Bay?

A few points below, to the best of my understanding.

There some info on Acadia here. Acadia and Jericho are the two most popular windsurfing beaches (although Lacarno often sets up with an interesting looking little wave).

There are two beaches west of Acadia (shown as Pt. Grey on the map below) - Tower Beach (only accessible to sailing from the water) and Wreck Beach (can be accessed from both water and land).

source: http://www.eye-on-vancouver.com

Beach names according to the City of Vancouver are listed here (they used to have a helpful map, but I can't seem to find it) and the different section of Spanish Banks are listed here (note what is shown as "Spanish Banks Extension" is often called "Dog Beach" as it is an off-leash area). "Dog Beach" has been officially designated by the City of Vancouver as kitesurfing launch as shown here under "For Your Safety" and is used by windsurfers when the tide/swell makes launching at Acadia too sketchy.

When the lifeguards are not on duty and the beaches are quieter in the colder months kites can be seen launching at a several other spots as well.
C36

by Brian C » Tue May 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Good to see this thread developing. In addition to the Vancouver sites, there are several in West Van: these include Ambelside Beach, Dundarave Beach, and Stearman Beach. Here's a bit of local knowledge on each:

Ambelside - only works on a strong SW wind, but gets nice waves on those rare occasions. Generally more popular with kiters because of weaker winds than at sites further west, although Rob Mulder and friends have windsurfed there a few times on large gear. Shore break can be very challenging on storm days. An alternative windsurfer's launch, with less shore break, could be John Lawson Park a few blocks east of Ambelside. Not enough room and too many kids there for kiters though. Primary hazard from both locations is the shipping channel, fairly close to shore. It is illegal to sail there and there is a wicked rip current with huge standing waves - stay out! If you want to windsurf at either location you should stay close to shore and play in the waves.

Dundarave - Sailing is west of the pier. Nice grass rigging area and washrooms (like Ambelside). Again, gets large surf-quality waves on strong SW winds, and has big shore break due to a steep beach. Safest launch is if you walk as far upwind (west) as possible to the small rocky point. Dundarave used to be a popular windsurfing area for advanced sailors living on the N Shore, but that gene pool is small now and it's rare to see anyone sail there.
I don't think the locals would tolerate kite launching there because of the high family quotient.
Dundarave often has stronger SW wind than Ambleside and is worth checking out. There is plenty of room for long reaches before you intersect the active shipping channel. If the shore break looks bad, there is also water access at a street end about two blocks west. The beach there is bolders (you need booties) but a much gentler slope, so I think it would be an easier launch.

Stearman Beach - Much further west, this beach is (totally) in the wind shadow of Lighthouse Park on a SW, but can be really good on an easterly or SE (due to a much longer fetch than Ambelside or Dundarave). There is a small public parking lot and very short trail to the beach, but no washrooms. Rigging is on the cobble beach. Stearman is a very gently sloped beach with easy cobble access to the water and no shore break. It can be really fun on those rare days when there's an easterly in English Bay; usually you need big gear but the nukin day in Aug 2015 produced 4.0m windsurfing conditions with great waves. When the tide is mid to low there is also a suitable kite launch from the large gravel beach.

Surfers - both Ambelside and Dundarave have good potential
Windsurfers - Dundarave and Stearman, depending on wind direction. If you want to try them on a good looking day, let me know and I'll try to join you.
Kiters - Ambelside with big kites works quite often, and Stearman on the occasional easterly

Hope this helps,
Brian
Brian C

by Alton » Tue May 03, 2016 6:25 pm

mjamero wrote:Do many Windsurfers go to Spanish Banks or is it mostly a Kiter's spot?

Spanish Banks is a longer walk to the water than Locarno. Often SB is too shallow for windsurfer fins. However, November 15 had a big windsurfer turn out at SB.

More important than where, is who. Whenever possible you should join the windsurfing crew and share the stoke. You can learn so much from sailing with the boyz (and a few girlz). Trash talk goes a long way.
Alton

Return to General