Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Surfer Saved

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Faceplant » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:57 pm

Surfer hit bottom at pipeline the other day, knocked out, and saved by pro body boarder.
The strength it must have taken to hang on to the lifeless body and also the presence to give the dude breaths while trying to get him in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5sea-icynE
Faceplant

by gabrielb » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:01 pm

My respect goes to the local Hawaiian people, and lifeguards. They are exceptional; nature will kick your ass in different ways.
Eddie Aikau was the ultimate, giving his life, lost at sea,at the end to save others, his spirit lives on.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Aikau
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:37 pm

Faceplant, I have limited experience in that kind of surf. But one thing I know is that you never take your sweet time with that size. You have to be at the right spot and be able to move in front of the crashing wave and to do so you need speed.

There was something wrong to what he did, he bottomed out by choice and slowed even more instead of being ahead of the wave, at that point in the video I knew it was going to end up terribly, closing out on the guy on shallow water. By the time he is inside the barrel, he is 10 ft behind with no speed trying to keep up and he did not bail out! (2nd mistake, he probably wanted to save face) and he was caught by the wall sucking him UP and then full force down to shallow water ...

error.JPG
error.JPG (34.58 KiB) Viewed 8707 times
gabrielb

by Faceplant » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:52 pm

He bit off a little bit more than he could chew for sure. One tiny miscalculation!
Faceplant

by Jaybrown » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Damn....this vid was a real wake up call for me.
He is VERY lucky.

The number of times I've been out sup surfing in the winter on the island with no one around...makes me wonder if I take too many chances. Last winter I broke a leash at JR and also at Punta De Mita (MEX). It's terrifying when the shit hits the fan like that; your board disappears in the white wash, the water temp is frigid,there's a rip sucking you out....and worst part...no one around to help you. On top of that you quickly discover how out of shape you are when you're board is gone and you have to swim!
Jaybrown

by C36 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Jaybrown wrote:Damn....this vid was a real wake up call for me.
He is VERY lucky.

The number of times I've been out sup surfing in the winter on the island with no one around...makes me wonder if I take too many chances. Last winter I broke a leash at JR and also at Punta De Mita (MEX). It's terrifying when the shit hits the fan like that; your board disappears in the white wash, the water temp is frigid,there's a rip sucking you out....and worst part...no one around to help you. On top of that you quickly discover how out of shape you are when you're board is gone and you have to swim!

JB: You using a surf leash or SUP leash?

Sorry about the thread jack FP. :oops:
C36

Return to General