Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

San Juan Islands kiting

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Alton » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:19 am

Jack1587 wrote:From a dock I found that letting out all the lines just gets them tangled so I let them out as it drifts away so they don't clump up. If anything is going wrong grab a centre line and you can just pull the kite in or whatever you need (like try to untangle some lines).

Jack - Great topic. I tried drift launching (as shown in the video below) by feeding the line underneath the kite then letting the kite drift LAST. However, as you described my lines clumped up.

Do you think it's safe to allow the kite to drift as you simultaneously feed the lines out?

Alton

by Jack1587 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:23 am

Alton wrote:Jack - Great topic. I tried drift launching (as shown in the video below) by feeding the line underneath the kite then letting the kite drift LAST. However, as you described my lines clumped up.

Do you think it's safe to allow the kite to drift as you simultaneously feed the lines out?

The main problem would be the kite spinning around and powering up while your lines are still wrapped around your bar. I have used the method you explained many times now and haven't had any problem with the kite spinning around although just to be safe while you are unwrapping your bar you can keep a centre line in your hand and let it feed through your hand. That way if anything went wrong you just squeeze on that centre line and pull it and it flags the kite out and you can pull it in. If you have one centre line you are pretty much fine in near all situations. Drift launching really helps you with figuring out situations even just on the water. After learning all this drift launching I am realizing it's easier and cleaner with less trouble to just grab a centre line and pull it in and wrap your lines up rather than pull your safety in the event of a self rescue.
Jack1587

by Patrick » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks for the tips on drift launching. I saw a couple of good videos on the methods you mentioned, I'll be sure try them out! Good luck on the rest of your trip!
Patrick

Previous

Return to General