Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

GoPro Advice

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by Slappy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:42 pm

I'm considering getting a GoPro, but don't really want to spend $400+ on it. So that leaves the Hero, Hero3 or maybe buy a used Hero3+.

I would be mostly interested in using it to shoot from a bit of a distance so I'm wondering if I would want to be using the Ultra Wide FoV all the time that the Hero3 and Hero are stuck with. How often do people shoot in Medium or Narrow FoV?

With the built in case a scratch to the lens of the Hero means the whole camera is junk so the $80 extra for the Hero3 might pay off if I have to replace the housing.
Slappy

by Michael » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:01 am

Slappy wrote:I would be mostly interested in using it to shoot from a bit of a distance
It depends on what you are planning on filming and where?

Slappy wrote:With the built in case a scratch to the lens of the Hero means the whole camera is junk
If you could get a good deal on a 3+ I'd go for it.
There seem to be a few out there.
Michael

by spinmaster3000 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:17 am

Hey Slappy,

Good call on the camera - it's always fun to capture memories from fun sessions! I'm of the belief that with technology, you should generally get the latest as it changes so quickly...that being said, I'm still using at Hero2 - the old body shape - and still capture good clips!

I haven't played around with shooting from a distance, but if I were to do so, I would want the narrow and medium field of views. I have always just done helmet, boom, and nose of board cams.

If you want to shoot from a distance, I wouldn't go any lower than the Hero3+ as it offers wide, medium, and narrow FOV in 1080p video at 60fps. It just gives you more options...

In terms of accessories, which I really don't have for mine, the remote is really cool. GoPro's website says that it will work with Hero3 and Hero3+, but not the Hero (which, personally, I wouldn't even consider). Here is the benefit of the remote. I took my GoPro out on my SUP for a session in Maui. I was out for maybe 2 hours and ended up with 4,000 photos - 6 of which (at most) were worth keeping. The rest were mostly of me gazing off into the horizon with my paddle in the air or adjusting my board shorts. It took me a lot of time to scroll through the mundane and useless photos before I selected the few good ones when I was actually on a wave. One of the other guys had a newer GoPro with the remote (which is waterproof). He had it on his arm with an arm band. As a set appeared on the horizon, he would push a button, then go for the wave. At the end of the wave he could turn off the camera again. It saves you SO much time in filtering out your pictures / video. Additionally, if you plan on shooting from a distance, the remote may well be a good investment for you.

App compatibility may be worth considering (Hero is the only one without it). It's cool to be able to look at the photos/video you just shot on your smartphone without waiting until the session is done, when you might find out it was pointed at your ankles the whole time.

So, I'd say go with Hero3+ (for all the FOV options), then Hero3 (as it supports useful accessories, just without the FOV), then....don't bother (sort of kidding, but not really).

I guess my recommendations really support my "get the latest" when it comes to technology...but personally, I'm not sure I'd get much value out of 4K video. I don't have a 4K TV!!

Hope that helps. :)

Slappy wrote:I'm considering getting a GoPro, but don't really want to spend $400+ on it. So that leaves the Hero, Hero3 or maybe buy a used Hero3+.

I would be mostly interested in using it to shoot from a bit of a distance so I'm wondering if I would want to be using the Ultra Wide FoV all the time that the Hero3 and Hero are stuck with. How often do people shoot in Medium or Narrow FoV?

With the built in case a scratch to the lens of the Hero means the whole camera is junk so the $80 extra for the Hero3 might pay off if I have to replace the housing.
spinmaster3000

by jtorva » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:38 am

I would at least get the Hero 3. I have the Hero 3 and its a great little unit. If you are wanting to shoot from a distance though i would steer away from GoPro. The GoPro is built with a wide angle lens so anything in the distance will be very small looking. Even with the field of view options with the new GoPro's you still will get less than ideal results because of the design of the actual glass.
Attachments
G0020472.jpg
Shot with GoPro 3 at White Rock
G0020472.jpg (3.34 MiB) Viewed 17700 times
Jordan
jtorva

by Slappy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:54 pm

I see the Garmin VIRB can be had for only $120 USD, anyone have any experience with it? It's another $38 for the Dive Case though so it would be $190 CAD which is about what I'd have to pay for a GoPro Hero after tax.
Slappy

by Michael » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:47 pm

Slappy wrote:I see the Garmin VIRB can be had for only $120 USD, anyone have any experience with it? It's another $38 for the Dive Case though so it would be $190 CAD which is about what I'd have to pay for a GoPro Hero after tax.

I like how that one captures true wind speed, apparent wind speed and wind angle as well.
Looks interesting.
Michael

by jtorva » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:27 pm

I see the Garmin VIRB can be had for only $120 USD, anyone have any experience with it? It's another $38 for the Dive Case though so it would be $190 CAD which is about what I'd have to pay for a GoPro Hero after tax.

My Dad has the Garmin VIRB and he really likes it. He says it is very user friendly and he really likes the image stabilization that it has. It also has built GPS along with elevation readings. Can't beat the price either.

Jordan
Jordan
jtorva

by C36 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:52 pm

jtorva wrote: My Dad has the Garmin VIRB and he really likes it. He says it is very user friendly and he really likes the image stabilization that it has. It also has built GPS along with elevation readings. Can't beat the price either.

Jordan

Is it just me or do the VIRB sample videos seem to have less optical compression / 'fish eye' effect. Sure would be nice to get an image that doesn't make the Oregon coast look as flat as Squamish. :D ;)
C36

by BigD » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:22 pm

I bought a 3+ Black for about $250 on craigslist with a bunch of mounts and accessories. Just keep looking and you'll find a good deal. I've used the super wide view for all my snowboarding and windsurfing vids, haven't bothered with the other views.

The biggest weakness IMO is battery life. The remote is basically useless for what I want to use it for (windsurfing/snowboarding) becuase it affects the battery life so severely. Just use the automatic start feature and you just have to push one button to start filming.

Here is a little vid I made of my trip to La Ventana this March. It was mostly done with GoPro, some of it is from my phone. If you haven't been you need to go.

https://youtu.be/KQUhR5N0KZI
BigD

by Michael » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:35 pm

If you haven't been you need to go.
Nice vid Dallas!! :D I really want to go, looks like you had a blast!
Michael

Next

Return to General