Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

GoPro Advice

Off Topic Comments, Help, Tips and Trick

by spinmaster3000 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:34 am

Great vid...looks like fun!!

Interesting point on the battery life when using remote...thanks for sharing.

BigD wrote:I bought a 3+ Black for about $250 on craigslist with a bunch of mounts and accessories. Just keep looking and you'll find a good deal. I've used the super wide view for all my snowboarding and windsurfing vids, haven't bothered with the other views.

The biggest weakness IMO is battery life. The remote is basically useless for what I want to use it for (windsurfing/snowboarding) becuase it affects the battery life so severely. Just use the automatic start feature and you just have to push one button to start filming.

Here is a little vid I made of my trip to La Ventana this March. It was mostly done with GoPro, some of it is from my phone. If you haven't been you need to go.

https://youtu.be/KQUhR5N0KZI
spinmaster3000

by C36 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:02 pm

C36 wrote:Fish bowl. Waited for the sun to burn through and the tide to flood. Afternoon glass-off (a real one) and afternoon light made looking through the clear water a treat. Whales spouting (from afar), schools of fish, crabs, seals and lots of other ocean creatures from atop my SUP! Smooth glassy waves and flat ocean made for lots of rides and a sweet session! Fun in the sun at Long Beach!

Slappy wrote:With all this SUP you've been doing lately you need to get a GoPro to strap to your paddle.

Check out this Melbourne guy's videos he does, it's such a good setup for making surf vids having the paddle to attach to.

Slappy: Awesome long rides in the video, and likely some stuff that is of interest to others too (like the kneeling stance), but WAY too much YELLOW for my liking (I have a high school friend who LOVES yellow and he would likely really enjoy this one).

As for GoPro, I would like to experiment with one when I have a little more money and time. From what I have seen, those that use them spend a healthy amount of time on: set-up (which often goes wrong), battery issues (which often are dead when the 'good stuff' happens), software learning curve (I have heard its not too bad) and editing hours of footage (I barely have enough time to do course edit of photos). The wide angle also seems to have a tendency to flatten wave height making good wave days look like Squamish.

I also try and enjoy my time on the water as time for me and try and savour the moments for what they are. Using his paddle as a GoPro mount also strikes me a touch 'selfie-stickish' (and my photography really is about capturing the feel of the day, not about me). :? But some of M's shots from his clew view and stuff Ulu captured in Tofino made me curious for sure.

Its not the first time its been suggested. Maybe I should start a crowd sourcing page? Or if there is anyone out there that has spare silver or black that they are willing to loan me for a bit, please let me know. Happy to give one a try and share the results. :D ;)
C36

by mjamero » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:30 pm

I highly recommend the SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi. It is essentially a very good quality GoPro clone. The eBay link for the seller I purchased from is below. (Beware of fake SJCAM's) See links below. I bought two SJ4000 WiFi. The SJCAM includes all the accessories including a waterproof housing.

For mounts nothing else beats the Flymount! They are not cheap but they are worth the money. It seems the Flymount was designed with Windsurfers in mind. With the Flymount you can mount the SJCAM (or GoPro) ANYWHERE, even at the top of a mast!

For the price of ONE GoPro you can buy TWO SJCAMS and TWO Flymounts. If you end up loosing one at the bottom of the drink you don't need to feel as bad as with an expensive GoPro. However the Flymount and a safety leash should ensure you never loose one over board. Plus it should float worse case scenario.

LINKS:
SJCAM ("Authentic" GOPRO Clone)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/WIFI-Original-SJ ... SwyQtVrd42

FLYMOUNT (Canadian Source)

http://www.onboard.tv/specialitems/flym ... mount.html
mjamero

Previous

Return to General