Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

windfoil board that could function okay for winging

For sale, wanted and promotions

by arg » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:32 pm

Anyone have experience windfoiling and winging with one board that works really well for windfoil and okay or better for winging? Goya Bolt 105 ? Slingshot Wizard 114 L ? Other ?
arg

by Michael » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:00 pm

arg wrote:Anyone have experience windfoiling and winging with one board that works really well for windfoil and okay or better for winging? Goya Bolt 105 ? Slingshot Wizard 114 L ? Other ?

Are you going to use it as a way to get into winging or do you want to windfoil more than wing?

You need a large deck pad, to save your skin or wetsuit from being shredded, and something with a track option for mounting the foil. You will need to reposition the foil to do both. Plus something with lots of footstrap insert options. The new Goya Airbolt looks sweet!
https://goyawindsurfing.com/boards/y202 ... lt-carbon/
Michael

by JonathanP » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:46 pm

I think any of those would be great for windfoil and ok for winging. I'd probably focus on what will work best for windfoil for the conditions you want to ride. Should be great for mastering winging, but I'd plan on eventually getting a wing specific board once your hooked? One of the best things about winging is being able to use a much lighter, smaller board
JonathanP

by adam2 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:41 pm

Great points above. I started winging on my 125L windfoil board and it was great for getting me started. My hope was to have a one-board quiver (ha!), but the allure of a smaller wing-specific board was too great. I could still use the windfoil board for lightwind winging I suppose, but I pretty much prefer windfoiling in light wind and winging on a smaller board on the windy days.
adam2

by Richi » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:08 pm

The JP 5’8” 100l looks awesome, the long tracks would make winging and windsurfing both feel great. I believe Silentsports was selling them in Toronto.

https://jp-australia.com/p/sup/composit ... foil-2021/
Richi

by ZeroR2 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:59 am

I would want a real mast track and US box for precise settings. The 114 Slingshot would work or the new Fanatic Stingray looks interesting.

https://www.fanatic.com/windsurf/boards ... y-foil-ltd
ZeroR2

by BigD » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:53 am

I debated the same thing last yr and ended up buying a Wizard V3 130L

I had an easy time learning the basics of winging on it with a large front wing 2000cm2 and the mast moved all the way forward.

At the end of the day it's a windfoil board which is what I do most of. The 114l at least has footstrps way forward in the proper place, the 130 doesn't have wing straps.

I think anything can work to learn wing basics but to progress in winging you'll soon want a dedicated and lower volume, narrower board than your windfoil board. You have to stand in a completely different spot(forward) to wing. A do it all board will have tradeoffs.

For me it was too much gear so I am sticking to windfoil for now. Lots of people ndonthe opposite. Different strokes.
BigD

by arg » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:36 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I've reached out to a few shops, and their feedback aligns well with what has been contributed above. For me, yes, I'd like to learn windfoil first, then maybe dabble in winging in the future. Boards that are being used for that include the new Fanatic mentioned above, the Goya bolt, slingshot wizards, and anything else similarly shaped and sized. Yes, everything points to using a decent volume board whilst learning to wing, and plus I've seen kids playing with wings on a beach much like trainer kites were/are being used, and then with some experience morphing to a smaller board for winging. A review of the sailing logs for winging on windisgood confirms that. Cheers everyone.
arg

Return to Buy and Sell