Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Waist Harness WARNING

For sale, wanted and promotions

by C36 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:51 pm

Anyone have a spare Men's windsurfing SEAT harness (size medium or large)? Not too proud to accept the use of a loaner harness, but also willing to purchase.

BACKGROUND

Seems like my ribs are bruised (not fractured), but still tender to the point where they are rejecting even the tension of a waist harness across my back. So I am looking for a seat harness to use as 'physio therapy equipment' during the latter stages of healing.

In chatting with Kus at CB a while back, he thought his rib injury may have been caused by the top edge of the harness tucking under the bottom rib. Strange part is I am beginning to suspect that mine may have been caused the same way (inclined to left during gybe to port, hips rotated to the inside of the turn, right side extended and exposed, when harness was engaged it 'hooked' under the bottom rib and compressed ribs upward and in). My family doctor said bottom rib is 'hanging' and is more flexible than the others and this could have produced the sensation I had of the rib cage compressing and pressure on my organs (and the relief I felt once I released the harness on shore).

WARNING

I really liked the more compact design and flexibility of T3 I was using, but with this experience I will likely return to using the bigger, stiffer, more supportive T7. If you use a waist harness, please take a moment to check to the fit of your harness to make sure there is no way the top edge of your harness can tuck under your bottom rib. If it can, seriously consider shopping for a new harness.

Many thanks.
Last edited by C36 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Chuck » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Hey man,

Just packing for To-fun-no and Nitwit lake and came across a used once (by Richie no less!) Da Kine XT Seat harness with spreader bar in my gear locker. It's an XL tho but usuable if cinched up tight, you're welcome to try it anyways and see if it works. Either that or start eating cheeseburgers and pinting with gusto :D
Chuck

by C36 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Chuck wrote:Hey man,

Just packing for To-fun-no and Nitwit lake and came across a used once (by Richie no less!) Da Kine XT Seat harness with spreader bar in my gear locker. It's an XL tho but usuable if cinched up tight, you're welcome to try it anyways and see if it works. Either that or start eating cheeseburgers and pinting with gusto :D

Thanks Chuck! 8-)
C36

by Craig » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:23 am

Hi Dave. I have an old north sails seat harness in Squamish if you still need one. 6049020246.
Craig

by C36 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks Craig. Think I am good for now - thanks to FOLO and Chuck! :D :D

[read in announcer's voice]
"This is a test. This is only a test of the emergency harness procedure. If this was a real session the sailor would be released to try tricks, jump and have full freedom of movement."

Choose what I thought would be a gentle big gear day to test the donated seat harnesses (shown from left to right - 1. medium DaKine seat (thanks FOLO). 2, XL Dakine XT (thanks Chuck), maybe my own - 3. medium DaKine T3 (the 'perpetrator' :twisted: ), and 4. large T6 (well padded but a touch stiff and bulky). Steady gentle wind, warm/flat water and sailing regatta in full swing - 49'ers. 29'ers, Lazers and Optimists (I think). Perfect!

Took to the water on 6.1/115 and in 1. (medium DaKine seat) thinking I would do a quick spin in each. Some initial pain in back ribs to the point I just about stopped the whole test, but keep sailing tried different body positions and loads, kept breathing (always a plus) and body seemed to clam down and the "floating bone" feeling seemed to fade. Sailed up to the river and saw Simon (river) and Max.Spock (spit) and felt comfortable enough to sail in the river for a while. Though it best to head back and try 2. Then sailed to far east out into a huge lull and thought I would be swimming back to Nexen. Just enough wind to keep moving, freshened enough to make it them derigged on return (didn't want to push too hard and looked like formula/12m wind). Graph looks like there was a solid evening rebound after I left, but happy with test and to be out on the water.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by C36 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:34 am

Hard shell harness review by Kitesurfing Magazine.

I picked up a Ride Engine Hex Core and a windsurfing bar and will report back on my impressions once I have had a chance to use it.
C36

by C36 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Based on the suggestions of Winddoctor and Chuck (thanks to both), I purchased a used medium Ride Engine and a 8" windsurfing bar. I have had a chance to use the harness about 6 times now (both flat water and small summer swell) and really like the way it locks into lower back (lumbar).

photo credit: Ethan Clutton

photo credit: Nicole Gerbrandt

Shortly after it arrived I realized I misread the Ride Engine sizing chart - at 33" pant waist I thought I was a medium, but they measure at belly button so I am a 36" (one inch over a medium and just into a large). I liked the medium so much I ordering a 2016 large and a 10" windsurfing bar on clearance. When the large arrived, I comparison sailed the two and the large was more comfortable for me (although a touch bigger than I would like while wearing summer wetsuits).

The medium really locks into my lower back (in a good way) but would pressure the bottom edges of my ribs when I was twisting. The large doesn't lock into my lower back quite as well, but offers full mobility without riding up at all. I am going to shorten the inner belt on the large and see of that helps.

More specifically here is my evaluation of the way these harnesses perform:
• Form fitting - comfortable, high-performance, low-profile.
• Small, compact, low-profile design allows for full mobility (while offering great support).
• Distributes load evenly across the lumbar and hips.
• Locks the harness low on your back (where it’s supposed to be)
> No shifting or riding up.
> Will not rotate, slide or compress.
> Bar also stays in place.
> Allows the harness to loaded like a racing hip harness, if desired.
> No more constantly ‘adjusting’ your harness or bar position and no more crushed ribs.
• Speed-lock attachment loops are lightweight, simple and allow quick entry and exit and switching of bars – rope to hook - if you want.

I'm keeping the large ad my go-to harness. The medium is now for sale and is listed here.
C36

Return to Buy and Sell