Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Cypress 2017/18

When it's absolutely too cold

by Alton » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Day 37 - Ok morning skiing at Cypress. Foggy and hard packed on most runs except Panaroma and WindJammer so stuck to that. Packed up at 10am when Roxstock mentioned wind at Jericho.
Alton

by bandito » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 am

Alton wrote:

o my god, scarrrrrrrry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W-VrZ80Cos
also chek this version .i think i watched those now 10 times, just unbelievable there is no better safety on those!!!

maybe the chairlift attendant got fired
bandito

by drh » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Things didn't look promising this morning as the Cypress report (and the snow stake cam) said there was only about 4 CM of new snow. As there are only a few days left I figured I should head up anyways. They had electrical problems with the Lions Chair so we had to go on Easy Rider for 45 minutes. Not too exciting but there was a layer of fresh snow on Midway which was ok. When they finally opened Lions I had some deeper turns on Upper Bowen, then a pretty good run on Rainbow. Went down Slash next which was very good, followed by two runs on Moons which were amazing - very smooth and deep! I thought about hiking Top Gun but the sun was out and I figured I'd be sweating by the time I got there so I did several laps on Humpty Dumpty instead. Quite nice grooming on Humpty (until the last section) and fresh snow on the sides for the first couple of runs.

There were big differences in the depth and qualities of the snow depending on where you were on the hill. When I got home later I checked the Cypress website and they reported 30 CM of new snow in 24 hours (they measure that at their mid-mountain weather station). :D
drh

by drh » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Another fantastic powder session at Cypress today. Started off with about 10 CM of fresh snow at the bottom and around 20 CM mid mountain with snow continuing to fall all morning. Skier Bob and I did four great laps on Moons, along with lots of fresh tracks on Slash, Upper & Lower Bowen, Rainbow, Midway & Horizon. Around 11 AM we hiked up to Top Gun were there was about 40 CM of fresh snow that had accumulated over the past 48 hours. It was a slow hike up the T33 ski-out as there was about 15 to 20 CM on the trail but I figured I'd better go for it as there's only two days left in the season.

I was really surprised at how few people were at the hill today. When I skied to my car in the Lodge Lot at around 11:30 AM there were still a few empty spots in the lot, and nobody (except staff) in the #1 Lot.

I saw some ski patrollers going up the Eagle Chair late in the morning and was told they were planning to open it tomorrow. The forecast is calling for the snow to change to rain this afternoon so the conditions may be questionable tomorrow, but keep your fingers crossed! :D
drh

by drh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Well it's been a great season overall and it was only fitting to finish it off with another powder session. The new snow was a bit moist but still excellent on the fat skis. The run of the day was Moons, as the snow was quite deep and smooth - perhaps no one skied it yesterday.

I ended the day getting fresh tracks on upper Crazy Raven then went down the bottom half of the Olympic run. Lots of fun with Skier Bob, Jerry and Chris. :D :D
drh

by LeopardSkin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:44 pm

What was the lunch special for the last day?
LeopardSkin

by drh » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 am

Shocking news. There was no lunch special Tony!
drh

Previous

Return to Skiing and Snowboarding