Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Snowboard Tuning / Sharpening

When it's absolutely too cold

by BCKiter123 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:46 pm

New to snowboarding, and I already have a good idea on what I need for waxing thanks to help from Bandito and others here.

For tuning I've read:
1) get an 'edge guide'. Some of these edge guides are adjustable, some fixed. Some are for Side Edge or Base Edge only. Side Edge more important to sharpen/tune than base edge. Base of snowboard will be ground down when sharpening base edge, so do only if necessary
2) use diamond stone (or gummi stone) first, to de-burr, then a normal file to sharpen, then finer grit diamond stone to polish?
3) my board comes from factory with 90 degree bevel on both side and edge, and that for recreational riding that should be fine to keep it that way without changing the angles
4) de-tune tip and tail to make less 'catchy'
5) every time you tune you take a little metal off, can't get it back, so only tune when necessary

amazing resource here: http://www.alpinecarving.com/tuning.html#edges

So what do you guys use / how often? Do you notice increase in performance?
BCKiter123

by bandito » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:13 pm

THe Best: I think it made by Swix, mine is green plastic multi sided guide where you slip in a piece of reg file or a squares buffer finisher, I lost the square so I only use included file(its like 2inch long file) . you can EASELY sharpen bottom edge(0.5 or 1 degree) n do side edge( like 99 to 95 degree, I forgot) . ITS A SWEET TOOL FOR DUMB ASSES N PRO ALIKE!!!! buy it, or make one.i luvvvvv mine.

instruction: 1.use a black fell pen and color the 2 side of edge.
2. start filling BOTTOM edge(.5,1)toward or against you(start at beginning of board to figure degree it was . YOU cAN change the angle to your riding styles or conditions :) probably set at .5, ALSO, YOU will likely NOT file that side as often, its the so call FLAT side. if edge is fairly good, leave it alone
3. file the 99 to 94 degree side(again check at beginning if correct angle by watching fell pen marked edge removal). JUST remove what you need. remark wt black felt if badly spitted edge n filings a lot. you likely not.
4(optional)REMARK wt blak felt pen edges.use the finishing square or maybe cover file wt a piece of black 600 wet n dry sandpaper wet n reinsert in gig n finish edge. I didn't do that one yet, only used file!
by the way, you can only use black WET n Dry sand paper to sharpen n finish ANY edges including carving tools! if bad start wt 60 , you finish wt 1500 . I used only 1500 and staple to wood , wet it wt bit of oil wt gas n refinish my carving tool edge every 10 min to razor cut finish in like 6 pass that way :) old school trick.if edge good , maybe just cover file wt 600 n edge will last longer n be sharper. mmmm , I think I will start doing that now, THANKS!

**** you shoud DETUNE the beginning and end edges of ski n snowboard because you don't need it n it catches !!!! WATCH U TUBES VIDEOS. wt this tool itsd sooooooo easy n cook proof .
Last edited by bandito on Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
bandito

by BCKiter123 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:13 pm

thanks again Ben!

Just curious on the tool that you use, is it for BOTH side edge and base edge? Models like this one at MEC seem to be only for side edge:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5026-775/ ... File-Guide

Although this looks like a good one where it will fit file and different diamond stones. I couldn't find Wixx model you mention.
BCKiter123

by bandito » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:02 pm

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1 ... 0sharpener lol, got it on first E search under ski sharpener!
bandito

Return to Skiing and Snowboarding