Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Cypress 2016/17

When it's absolutely too cold

by Brian C » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:42 am

Alton if you go to Cypress can you post an OSR. I am curious if it's raining up there or not. Trees on webcam look suspicious. There are some blue patches over Georgia straight though, so it may get better.
Thanks
Brian C

by Alton » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:50 am

Day 65 - Snowboarding with Rob F, Marc, Jerry and Benito (Rob W on skis). 10-15 cm of HEAVY pow. Bottom of runs were super sticky and challenging on a snowboard ... had to side slip at the bottom. Surprisingly, top of Rainbow is soft and enjoyable ... even better than Sky Chair in the woods (a little crusty and bumpy).

Brian - conditions are getting better (not as heavy as earlier) because of new snow falling now (instead of wet snow/rain earlier). A little foggy but probably worth coming up now.
Alton

by drh » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Well, I thought it might be a waste of time to go to Cypress today because there was a good chance it would be pouring rain, but driving up it turned to heavy snowfall before reaching the nordic area. They opened Eagle at 9 AM but the first run was tentative as the visibility was poor. The fog largely cleared on the second run so I could get into the powder on upper and lower Fork. They opened Lions about 9:10 so I booted it over there and had all fresh tracks on three laps of Slash. Went to Moons next for four runs with untracked snow for all but the last one. A couple of times I stopped on the middle of Moons for a breather and stuck my pole in the snow to see how deep it was - and it came up to the middle of the pole. By 11 AM most areas were skied out, although there were surprisingly very few people there - especially during the first hour. I waited at Sky chair for it to open. Ski patrol came by to say that a lot of areas were sliding and to stay out of the backcountry. Got the first chair up Sky when it opened just before noon. It was foggy on the top but better visibility half way down. Did three laps on Tomcat and Ripcord, then T33 followed by Top Gun. When I got home and checked the Cypress 3 pm report it said that they had received 65 cm in 24 hours. It was basically like a great heli skiing day but without having to pay $1,000.

When I left at 1:30 it had turned to a mix of snow and sleet in the parking lot. The forecast is calling for the freezing level to rise tomorrow but maybe fortune will continue to smile on us and they will be wrong. :o :D :D
drh

by Roxstock » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:46 pm

65cm! That's insane, how do we get them to stay open longer? We could ride until mid may with all that snow.
Roxstock

by bandito » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:28 pm

was backcountry 1till 4. was great,lighter then yesterday,i say 60 cm in 36 hours with some deeper n shallower zones. by 4 lower mountain freeze rain . the type of avalanche in 2blacks is chunky snow but not the hole side . I never go to the Bowl since the time I screw up and walked the Crest trail, that may be risky business like in the movies if it give up.
will be snowboarding back first thing wt rain parka(long garbage bag) unless theres big winds n decent waves, yeah right.
I doubt they extend the ski season period, most mountains are extremely cheap. they should extend evening till9pm till end of season for daytime workers and kids, they don't care. But you never know, maybe they will sell The Ducky Pass,good mid april till mid may.
Sunshine in Alberta open till end of may 2 years ago! they sold pass February till end of may for like 400$
Great Cartoonish kungfu movie wt 193Os gangsters to not miss in HD ,mandarin wt subtitle better: Kung Fu Hustle 2004
bandito

by Brian C » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:05 am

OSR Cypress. Mostly sunny. Not much groomed and just softening now. Ungroomed runs are treacherous due to rain soaking. Groomers should be really nice soon.
Brian C

by bandito » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Brian C wrote:OSR Cypress. Mostly sunny. Not much groomed and just softening now. Ungroomed runs are treacherous due to rain soaking. Groomers should be really nice soon.

cheap suckers didn't groom properly again! good thing I was jumping on my 9.5m today!im ready for the waters now, bring me a steady 30knots p-lease.Or 10cm powder miam miam.
bandito

by Alton » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:06 pm

Day 66 - After 1 week of kitesurfing (4 sessions) finally returned to Cypress on skis. Made the mistake of starting too early. Grooming was terrible, firm and lumpy so had to ski cautiously with Rob F and Marc (snowboarding). Went for an early lunch allowing the sun to soften the snow. Returned to slopes at noon - so much better!

Later (and smarter) arrivals included Jerry, Benito, Brian and Mokka.
Alton

by Brian C » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Yes, Spring skiing is so dependent on the timing. We had nearly perfect soft snow from 2 pm to closing. Conditions on Sky, Lions and Eagle were all the same: a few inches of spring corn over a slightly firm but not icy base. Never got sticky.
Run of the day was Top Gun, with Bowen Face a close second.
Hope we get a few more sunny days before they close. The base is so good that we want some more spring skiing!
Brian C

by LeopardSkin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:25 am

Cypress OSR. 5 cm freshies. Overcast. Come on out!
LeopardSkin

PreviousNext

Return to Skiing and Snowboarding