Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Cypress Rental Skis

When it's absolutely too cold

by Slappy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:08 pm

I'm heading up to Cypress tomorrow and I'm going to give skiing a try. I switched to snowboarding about 26 years ago and haven't tried since. I was a decent skier before I switched though.

I'm wondering if the performance rental is worth it vs. the regular rental, I don't know too much about skis, here are the available performance skis:

http://cypressmountain.com/performance-rentals

I'm going to have my son with me so it's all groomers, greens and blues, no pow. That's why I'm thinking it's not worth it for the performance setup.
Slappy

by C36 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:39 pm

Depends if you want to just cruise around (go with the standard rental) or crank turns and see how much fun a shaped performance ski can be (go with the upgrade). In their list of performance skis, at a glance, the two that look most adapt for on-piste carving are the Rossignol Experience and the Head Supershape Magnum, but I haven't ever skied either so best to ask the rental shop staff for their recommendation.

My own experience: my 13 year old son was having his bindings remounted on his Surface Next Life double rocker fat skis and we had to rent a day at Seymour - he took their 'performance' upgrade and found it was a step down from his daily divers. ;)

Enjoy the day on the mountain! :D
C36

by gabrielb » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:36 pm

Best weather and conditions yesterday. I was at Seymour today snowshoeing while friends skiing. Warm, there is still lots of snow but snow gets melted and hard packed on top while soft under. Not a skiier or snowboarder but it's like a postcard.

If you have time drive to seymour, park and take the Seymour trail(left of last parking) all the way up (free as well),with just hiking boots will do. You ll get higher than highest chair lift ... do it with your son, amazing view.

$16 snowhoes at sport junkies per day.

Worth doing it on a sunny day like today.

You can even hike to dog mountain(free), frozen lakes in between , etc. (Left trail to dog, straight to Seymour trail). Exhausted after those 2 trails, did not have time to do the Seymour paid trails (i guess i paid $10 for nothing).

Parking, half lot empty by 530pm, everybody is skiing at cypress.
gabrielb

by Jerry » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:28 am

With the freeze thaw conditions , today should be great for bluebird carving on groomers as the temps warm up. ETA 1020 lower lot . day 51
Jerry

Return to Skiing and Snowboarding