Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Seymour

When it's absolutely too cold

by C36 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:17 pm

Sunday (Dec 28)
More family fun. Got my wife and daughter out and my daughter Paige was charging. Skied everything I showed her without hesitation. Not sure how that works (not skiing but somehow got better - not technically stronger, but doing more). She only lost a ski once and only found one tree well and there was lots of laughter. Fun session with the stashes full to overflowing at times! Snow on and off piste was cottonie soft!
C36

by C36 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:26 pm

Sunday (2016 Jan 1)
Campaign powder (and squeaky snow on-piste). Lots of float and light crowds. North wind was strong enough to blow my poles over and -6 made it brisk on the face riding the chair up, but I'll take it for the cold, dry snow. Yet another fun session. Today was the 'tipping point' (earned the face value of pass so its all 'free' skiing from here for me - Ethan still needs a few).
C36

by C36 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:02 am

Monday (2017 Feb 6)

Funny day. On-piste they groomed EVERYTHING last night. :shock:
Off-piste there were pockets of fresh (over some solid 'surprises') but most of the slack country had been tracked out by the Sunday crowds. Did a little bit of exploring. Less than expected, but nice to get out.
C36

by C36 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Saturday (2017 Mar 4)
Great day today - over a metre of snow in the last 48 hours, cold temps and blue sky! I even had company with Ethan along! Some stiff snow down below, floating up top, and great at Brockton! Busy (especially after Mystery's opening was delayed by an hour), but untracked snow on Brockton (closed on Friday) was worth the wait. Fun half day on the hill.
C36

by C36 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:23 am

rabbit tracks (right side of photo)

Sunday (2017 Dec 3)
Nice surprise. Way better than average opening weekend snow conditions for Seymour (seemed like the snow line had hung just below the parking lot all week). Good coverage (freedom to ski almost anywhere, but still had to pay attention). A little chowder-like, but still pleasant to ski both on and off piste. Only downside was variable visibility later in the day (more of an issue low down off Lodge chair).
C36

by C36 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Wednesday (2017 Dec 20)
Father-son 'snow day'. Clear and colder than normal (good), but the snow felt 'thinner' than the 23 cm reported due to the layer of crust less than half way down in most spots (bad). It looked like the night skiers had likely got the best of it late on Tuesday the day before. Some 'floating', but the high speed corduroy on the groomers surprised us by proving to be the most fun (for us). The sunshine was a nice treat, but the light snowfall had me missing the 'big dumps' we thankfully usually get and had me looking forward to the next one! Well worth it, just 'different' than expected.
C36

by gabrielb » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:33 pm

looks amazing. we are lucky to have ski slopes so close to us :)

Go easy on the drive up :shock: (like putting a wetsuit when conditions are just right and can't be fast enough) :?

More snow tonight and next week as well. Sunny.
gabrielb

by Adrian L » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Great Dave! Nice shots. Such a good little Mtn that is... Between windsurfing, and, mtn biking, I've pretty well given up skiing/ snowboarding these days. But shots like those really gets ones "itch" going again.
Hmmm, makes me want to shoe up diamond head with my board some time... lol
Awesome! Happy Holidays.
Enjoy the snow!
Adrian L

by C36 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Saturday (2017 Dec 30)
Whole famb dambly was out today. Arrived just before 9 am and got middle of the lot parking. Only problem was the unbreakable crust pretty much to the top of Mystery. Once Brockton opened - problem solved - soft snow, fresh tracks and lighter crowds. Left around 1 pm when the cloud rolled in and saw there was a long line of cars being held in the "waiting line" at the bottom of the mountain on our way out. Glad we had got an early start and were treated to the sunshine. Happy New Year all!
C36

Previous

Return to Skiing and Snowboarding