Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by gabrielb » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:20 am

Tom,
sadly formulas don't work anymore. Look at today, 25 knots in strait and not a ripple in Norh Van camera.
It's because system has moved to the other side. From aside in 2010 to wb in 2014 to Nanaimo in 2018. We are mostly out of luck for NW.

SE have now always a downgrade and not a crank on them. Sessions are rare, sadly. But it was good while it lasted :)
gabrielb

by mtb » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:05 pm

gabrielb wrote:Tom,
sadly formulas don't work anymore. Look at today, 25 knots in strait and not a ripple in Norh Van camera.
It's because system has moved to the other side. From aside in 2010 to wb in 2014 to Nanaimo in 2018. We are mostly out of luck for NW.

SE have now always a downgrade and not a crank on them. Sessions are rare, sadly. But it was good while it lasted :)

hi gabrielb,

is it possible for you to expand on your last post? i've been watching conditions and heading to wreck to take pics when i think there will be waves. you're right, sisters was cranking for hours and i expected bigger for sure - but i thought it was due to the tide. hb read 0.8m at 8am and tide was around 12.5ft and rising. if tide was around 10ft there would've been something worth getting in the water for (if you felt like braving the cold). you're saying sisters historically should've yielded bigger and better surf today? still learning so would love to get more details

i also went to have a look last saturday the 17th. the buoy/sisters readings were even weaker, and met a guy out there surfing. he surfed out to the right of the spit for about 45 minutes. first pic is from the 17th and the other 4 pics are from today. i assumed both these saturdays had some element not lining up quite right and had they, there would've been fun waves.

here's some pics (mostly 200-300mm)
Attachments
IMG_2698.JPG
IMG_2698.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 16253 times
IMG_2737.JPG
IMG_2737.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 16253 times
IMG_2718.JPG
IMG_2718.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 16253 times
IMG_2725.JPG
IMG_2725.JPG (2.05 MiB) Viewed 16253 times
IMG_2720.JPG
IMG_2720.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 16253 times
mtb

by gabrielb » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Matt,

you remind me of KD. Yes, HB gives you a hint but it's not always the definite factor.

At 8ft tide and 06mHB I had glassy waves and waist size with power (left of spit)
At 12ft tide and 0.7mHB I had chest size waves at right of spit (just be careful with rocks).

Yes waves are there, HB buoy helps (80% of times) but not always is the same size at WB.
Adam is the one with most WB sessions (SUP). Tom needs 1mHB+, shortboard and youngest in group.

Search WhatsApp (VanCity Surf Addicts), Keelan may add you. We go back and forth, they are more positive than I am, more stoke :), they motivate me to get my lazy ass to some fresh ocean air. We are about 8 people, always ready for a local freebie.
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:27 pm

fyi, because I met people at WB today with questions, here is a summary:

. Aside session per year have gone from 25 per year to 2 per year.
. NW 's are more at Wreck Beach, 5ft tide to 13 ft tide (don't follow Halibut bank when there is a strong local wind, otherwise sister/ballenas has to be over 20 knots with 15 knots at HB to get surf).
.SE's you need Saturna over 25 knots, and sandy shores(WA, real-time sensor) over 18 knots to get surf at marina PR.
.SW only works at Olympic trail (130&13), 4 to 9ft tide only, or 1001 steps.

hope that helps.

Wednesday, there is SE at PR.
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:10 pm

1220... alone, got a few rides waist high, fun before tide got over 13 ft. Then it was waiting for sets to get a ride. Longboarder joined at 1 pm. By 230 George joined , Saturna tanked some and wave size did not help with high tide.
Of course Saturna is now 40 knots 2 hours too late.
gabrielb

by C36 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:31 pm

S1 – SUP – Wickaninnish (Mar 10)

Against the grain. Started at the Visitor’s Centre (gentle, clean, playful waves) and exited at Lot E (some size and power). Nice warm-up session. Kona (SE) wind was working against my ‘regular’ take-off position. The sunshine was so nice!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

S2 – Wind-SUP – Wickaninnish (Mar 10)

Try. Redbaron and BFD got a few rides while there was still wind. Then the three of tried to will some wind with mixed results.

Slideshow

S3 – SUP – Wickaninnish (Mar 10)

Evening session with some wind, roll and larger waves. Turned mean on the high tide. Dinner at the Floathouse and campfire at Redbaron`s – thanks!

Slideshow

S4 – SUP – Wickaninnish (Mar 11)

Variety. Fun morning session with variety. Took first warm-up waves at the Visitor’s Centre then worked down to the main peak off Lot D. Bigger. Redbaron, BWD, Udder, BFD and myself and about 40 others, including two kayaks.

Slideshow

S5 – SUP – Wickaninnish (Mar 11)

Bombs. Looked good, but hard to catch. BWD caught a bomb at the peak and got treated to a long left! Seemed like there were three swells in play – peak bombs, fat waves (hard to catch and then dumped, and fun size easy rides (not too many of these). Low tide pound on the inside was punishing at times. First time I noticed the large dunes to the north. Beautiful day in a beautiful spot. Diner at Cedars and overnighted at the clear-cut.

Slideshow

S6 – SUP – Long Beach (Mar 12)

Wreck Beach. Or at least that what it felt like. Two second period, confused sea, but there were some clean glassy faces on the inside. Four rides at Tinnies and then decided to head up to North Chesterman for a look-see.

S7 – SUP – North + South Chesterman (Mar 12)

North Chesterman
Cool down. Nice clean ground swell in the side-off-shore wind. Even got a mini-floater. Breeze teased , but waves melted away before the wind was enough to SUP-sail.

South Chesterman
Mixed. Looked pretty good from the beach but felt almost as confused as Long Beach. Swell felt like short period wind swell with chop on top. Still nice to catch a few waves here again.

Slideshow

Seven sessions in three days. Ground swell, warm temps, and sun all three days. Great spring training SUP wave camp!
Last edited by C36 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:54 am, edited 6 times in total.
C36

by ShonanDB » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 pm

Looks like a fun trip. Great pics Dave.
ShonanDB

by Michael » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:06 pm

Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for the pics! Hope we get some days out there this spring. :D
Michael

by C36 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:07 pm

LV1: SUP/surf – Old Man’s, Cabo (Mar 22)

Got a fun evening session in board shorts and rash guards with Ethan in Cabo on arrival. The next day one of the staff at the Cabo Surf Hotel said that was some of the cleanest A-frames he had seen (didn’t mention how long he had been working there). Grocery shop then nice dinner out very close to hotel.

gallery (better for mobile devices)
slideshow

LV2: SUP – Old Man’s, Cabo (Mar 23)

On water at 7:30 am solo. Similar to last night but smaller, more consistent size, few people out.

slideshow

LV3: SUP/surf – Old Man’s, Cabo (Mar 23)

Second session at noon with Ethan and it was sweet, pumped up a notch and he was all smiles catching clean rights! Headed to La Ventana now via the waterfall at El Zoro. Later Ethan said the surfing was the best part of the day, Nice!

slideshow

Off-Day (Mar 24)

Wind was flowing today but only kites on foil were out in town. Decided to go out to snorkel Ensenada de Los Muertos and was surprised at how many different types of fish and the number of fish we saw. When we got back to town there were rumour of 9 m kites working early up at the Hot Springs.
Last edited by C36 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by gabrielb » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:43 am

Sunny and warm, surf to add. Good size waves, nice and easy. The -1 temps on Friday didn't bring a single body to CNL. Monday afternoon another SE locally, 25 knts.
gabrielb

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing