Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by C36 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Just enough. Swung by Wreck Beach for a look-see after dropping someone at Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal to see if the mid-day NW push forecast was going to generate any waves. I saw someone was launching an 11 m and a foil just as I was leaving TFT.

Waves at Wreck Beach looked waist-high and glassy from the cliff but were knee-high on the water. Only one spot - south end of the beach against the break wall - had enough shape and energy to ride. First time using the AllWave 8'3" (120) locally and it worked just fine even in the mush.

Felt strange parking in a parkade to go SUP (crazy busy day at the beach).

Pre-Session OSR
Post-Session OSR

Mini-Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by roydpm » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Must have missed you. Arrived at 6:45 after coming off ferry at 5pm from Parksville...funny coincidence. Caught 15-20 waves until 8pm on the 9.2ft Riviera Nugg. Mainly over by the right bouy. 20-30 yard rides. Enough for 2-3 buttom and top turns. Looked like a nice shore break also but too many naked swimmers in the way
Attachments
IMG_8098.JPG
IMG_8098.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 16974 times
IMG_8083.JPG
IMG_8083.JPG (2.23 MiB) Viewed 16974 times
roydpm

by gabrielb » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:08 pm

Looking at ballenas&sisters (under 16 knots), I am surprised you had some small waves at WB late afternoon. C36 at midday.

6am at Wb tomorrow Monday, I am there if 19 knots+ ...
Ballenas.JPG
Ballenas.JPG (17.63 KiB) Viewed 16959 times

After shortsands 7foot walls (shortboarding) ... :? not easy.

Ulu in Toronto (mia), Keelan in Australia, George surfs Seaside (I must say the waves at Shortsands OR are addictive), hoping for stronger winds locally; it's just you guys, Roy and David, motivating people to get out there, even if naked people are in the way :) .

19 knots at ballenas @11pm, we'll see
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:54 am

sisters 15, ballenas 19 knots @6am. I gave it a try, next to rocks at the ubc spit (right side) at 6am . A few waves, short ride, but it needs more (that's my limit). Tide was 7ft, good to see rocks for next time, sandy bottom.
gabrielb

by C36 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:19 am

roydpm wrote:Must have missed you. Arrived at 6:45 after coming off ferry at 5pm from Parksville...funny coincidence. Caught 15-20 waves until 8pm on the 9.2ft Riviera Nugg. Mainly over by the right bouy. 20-30 yard rides. Enough for 2-3 buttom and top turns. Looked like a nice shore break also but too many naked swimmers in the way

2017 Aug 27 - wind graph.JPG
2017 Aug 27 - wind graph.JPG (85.98 KiB) Viewed 16925 times

Nice! :D Looks like you got the second pulse of wind/waves. Makes sense you were over at right bouy, as the tide was about a meter lower by evening. If you got 2-3 bottom and top turns in you got better waves than I did.

Higher tide earlier on made shore break at the main beach and right bouy too round and soft while I was there (just as well as there were a LOT of 'swimmers' off the main beach). The section I was riding was a sand bar with slightly deeper water inside and a gentle rip in middle, so you had a narrow window for dropping in, confused water in the middle of the wave and then the wave would melt away and loose power so it was pretty tough to link turns. I may of had one wave that offered up three turns. :oops: Still nice to get out and enjoy the warm water.

gabrielb wrote:Looking at ballenas&sisters (under 16 knots), I am surprised you had some small waves at WB late afternoon. C36 at midday...

...After shortsands 7foot walls (shortboarding) ... :? not easy...

Glad Shortsands has been treating you and George both so well! :D That spot is on my 'to-do' list. Look forward to us all sharing some rides there (or elsewhere) together. :D ;)
C36

by C36 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:05 am

Those who enjoy rights might enjoy this ("Jbay and An Endless Run of Swell") and those that enjoy lefts might enjoy this (Gerry Lopez First to Sample Left at Kelly Slaters Wave Pool).
C36

by C36 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Session 24 - SUP at Cox Bay (2017 Sept 2)

A little disappointed not to get out on the water in Port Alberni after look-sees at HQ and Canal Beach, but just as well as Saturday was full day that started with SUP at Cox Bay - mix of too big and too small outside and a bit of beat down on the inside turned into more consistent waves on the rising tide. Session sharing with BWD, Udder, Shaggy and Lisa. Fun sharing with friendS.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Session 25 - Windsurf at Long Beach (2017 Sept 2)

Sunshine and fog. Fog rolled into Cox Bay after morning SUP in the sun. Was getting ready for second SUP when Udder mentioned there was wind at Long Beach. Went down for a look see and yes there was! Seems the fog at Cox Bay and sun at Long Beach were turbo charging the sea breeze. Parking was CRAZY as the birthday party was in long weekend full swing. Found a spot in lot 3 and as I was rigging Shaggy rolled in. Blowing sand on the beach and wind in the parking lot had me taking out windsurfing hull right from the start. On and off wind was enough to work upwind just past Incinerator Rock and jump three times on the inside. Enough power to catch most target waves of choice, but some lost opportunities too. Waves were soft and round for the most part until you were right on the beach (got folded once and rolled twice so there was some size at times). Waves were fun at times to nice to pretend! Busy day, but surfers, boggy boarders and swimmers stayed close to the beach in the beach break for the most part. Tried to be respectful and only got asked to keep-further-away once. Wind softened mid-session, then rebounded. Nice to have a playmate and impressed to see how Shaggy was able to make 5.0/85 work in the light stuff! Saw him hit one memorably vertical lip smack with prefect timing! Sorry to later see the first dent in the BWDmobile (courtesy of a couple of 'soft'-tops at Cox Bay). :-(

Slideshow
C36

by Slappy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 am

Slappy wrote:Lots of fun ripping on my son's Wave Bandit 4-10. Really impressed with this board can't wait to try it behind the boat.

Had the Wave Bandit 4-10 out this weekend behind the boat and it delivered. It runs a bit slow until you start slashing with it, then it generates lots of speed. Very fun to ride just to slash turns or pop airs. Zero back leg burn with this board.

Because of the sluggishness when cruising I'm a bit less hopeful for it behind a kite though.
Slappy

by C36 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:49 pm

VI S26 – SUP – Cox Bay (2017 Sept 3)

Melted away. BWD, Jason, and Udder decided on Cox Bay. I joined in after beachside breakfast at Long Beach and scored second shift rock star parking. I arrived just in time to catch the last of the easier waves at the north end of the beach (seems we had all graduated to the ‘Ivy League’ today). Then spent the rest of the session working my way south searching for steeper faces as the waves seemed to melt away. Fun moments for sure and way less punishing inside then yesterday.

VI S27 – SUP sail – Long Beach (2017 Sept 3)

Almost. Watched the wind at South Chesterman tease, but it was too flat to draw me out. Kite out NC and another riding skim board in the trench and his feet on the sand. Finally decided to head to Long Beach for the promise of waves. Scored an open spot in Lot 4 (BWD was down in Lot 2). Wind looked good enough to SUP sail and waves looked gentle. Caught a few one hit rides while there was enough wind. Was surprised by some long period sneakers once out on the water. Then it turned soft. Shaggy rigged, but never got wet. BWD manned mission control from the beach. Showed a lot of promise at times, but never really happened.

Slideshow

VI S28 – SUP – Long Beach (2017 Sept 4)

Sea Foam. Earlier start this morning. Quick look-see at Green Point – better than Long Beach last night. Sprint down to Incinerator Rock to grab parking spot with a view by 7:30 am. Looked inviting – glassy faces and shoulders. Housekeeping and breakfast put on hold. Full crew of four headed out including myself, Shaggy, Lisa and BWD. I started just south of Incinerator Rock (short clean faces followed shortly by “KABOOM”) then followed Lisa and BWD past Pete north up to Tiny’s. Long period south swell was wrapping in creating point break-like conditions (gentle getting out and steep clean open faces in). Our foursome had the place to ourselves until ‘the pack’ of eight others joined in (in hindsight, maybe I shouldn’t have been yelling “WHOOHOOO” so loud). BWD’s leash broke on a gentle little wave late in the session. Jason Joined in. Everyone scored memorable rides! Then the waves seemed to lull on the rising tide. 5/4 was too hot (had to flush the suit). Time for breakfast!

Slideshow

VI S29 – SUP – Long Beach (2017 Sept 4)

Really? BWD mentioned (about four times) that he was really hoping for a repeat of the morning session. I thought it unlikely, but we all waited – hiding from the heat of the sun, glassy mid-day sets and shore pound, gentle SE wind, peak of the high tide and ebbing tide. Then finally around 4 pm my patience were exhausted and I decided to head out as the wave at tiny`s looked to peeling right again even though the waves looked to be smaller now. Much smaller. Paddling out was not what I expected the first two sets were big, maybe even bigger than the morning. One wave took me out – this was not the gentle `cool-down` session I was expecting. But waves settled in and so did myself, BWD and Shaggy (Lisa took the afternoon off to give her shoulder a rest and shot some amazing pictures). There were lots of smiles, lots of banter and a few party waves! There were even a few sets, one in particular that rivalled the Cape on a `good`south swell day. We had the place to ourselves (seems everyone else decided to head home early in time to catch the accident on the Malahat). Saw Shaggy smack the lip like he was on a shortboard on his longboard and BWD was ripping as always! Blasts of late afternoon NW breeze where hot – odd feeling for Long Beach. I stepped away from the wave buffet first and caught a memorable clean right all the way from the crab trap to the beach almost all the way south to the pathway to the washrooms with the roar of the breaking lip chasing me the whole way! That was fun! BWD and Shaggy left it all on the water. Saw Shaggy tuck into the ‘brown room’ and get barreled in the shore pound pound and BWD said he was pleased to get a wave that was walling up ‘to take him all the way to the beach’ until the nose of his board hit the sand in the shallower than expected low tide. Turned out the afternoon was so good some were having trouble remembering details of the morning (too many waves ago). Quick look-see at SC on the way north looked flat and calm. Dinner at Jamie`s to cap it off and BWD broke from tradition and ordered fish tacos! Much talk of sand in strange places courtesy of the shore pound.

Slideshow

VI S30 – SUP – Long Beach (2017 Sept 5)

Rounded out. Travel day. Full crew of four again. SW swell was still hanging in – for now. Flat, grey morning light. Glassy swell and super low tide. Stoke seemed a little tempered this morning. Everyone wanted breakfast before taking to the water. Started off good then tide started to flood, swell eased a bit and waves got round and hard to catch. Still some great rides, but expectations are higher now. Strange way to end such a good run of summer swell. See you next time!

Slideshow
C36

by gabrielb » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:12 pm

David, tofino seems to be dishing some good surf. Brownie is still there. Busy lately and waiting for some local wind. Joined George to Seaside a few weeks ago. Haven't windsurfed once this summer. SE's soon. You had a great summer and good waves :)
gabrielb

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing