Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by gabrielb » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:28 am

Whidbey.JPG
Whidbey.JPG (33.01 KiB) Viewed 16418 times

nothing else.

Dave, nice and sunny, a great getaway.
George is demanding head-high waves :? , it may take a while.
gabrielb

by C36 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:58 am

gabrielb wrote:...Dave, nice and sunny, a great getaway.
George is demanding head-high waves :? , it may take a while.

I'll let you know if I see any. :D ;)

VI 5 – SUP at Long Beach (July 24)

Practice. Morning walk around Shorepine Bog. Rumours of a black bear in the area looking for their `day bed`. Tour-de-look-see: Chestermans, Cox, Wick, Flo, Long Beach. Settled on LB and warmed leftover ramen for lunch. Guy on motorized Walden and shark repellent suit was scoring tonnes and Ethan and I were left competing for second on the wave count chart. Perfect day for Ethan to gain more confidence paddling in standing up and working the wave left and right. Really fun session. Off to check the wind at South Chesterman.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
slideshow

VI 6 – windsurf + kite at South Chesterman (July 24)

Independence Day! Arrived to find sand blowing and flat water at South Chesterman. Perfect set up for Ethan to kite! But first things first. Rode bikes down North Chesterman to grab ice creams, then got set up. Once we got minor rats nest of strings sorted, impressed to see Ethan rig, drift launch, ride, return to beach, drift kite on water back upwind walking the beach, and repeat. Awesome to see him enjoy his first independent session! Special that it happened at South Chesterman! Proud parent moment for sure! Three days in a row holding a sail in my hands and Ride Engine felt good – pleased so far for sure! Late dinner at Jamie`s Rainforest Café – Ethan said `better than White Spot`. Yet another great day!

No pictures – focused on setting up, shadowing Ethan and enjoying the moment.
C36

by gabrielb » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:06 am

Forecast was mild for JDF yesterday, even then, 1.2m waves (24km away from beach).

Hein bank is about 24km from the beach, I imagine when wave height is 1.2m it's still building for 24 km.
hein.JPG
hein.JPG (40.02 KiB) Viewed 16351 times

the fetch distance is 100km+, and JDF is 20%+ windier than Georgia strait (getting 27knots is an exception locally, @JDF it's normal).

1.2m waves at 24km away from beach, probably head high waves hitting beach...

whidbey.JPG
whidbey.JPG (106.29 KiB) Viewed 16351 times

3 hour drive ... will keep an eye for a glassy morning and give it a go. Analyze a few more wind days and drive when Hein gets around 4ft :)
whidbey2.JPG
whidbey2.JPG (57.08 KiB) Viewed 16351 times

lots of beach and breaks, no need to bother locals
whidbey.JPG
whidbey.JPG (40.92 KiB) Viewed 16330 times

Hyde beach.JPG
Hyde beach.JPG (63.18 KiB) Viewed 16330 times
gabrielb

by C36 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:58 pm

VI 7 – SUP at Long Beach (July 26)

Board shorts and rashie. Fog until about 11 am. French toast for brunch at the campsite. Short hike and view at Radar Hill. Longer hike and more scenery from Visitors` Centre to South Beach. Quick SUP at Long Beach (parking Lot 5 again – free day use seems to have really increased the demand at Incinerator). Took to the water in board shorts and rashie for the novelty factor. Brisk at first, then pleasant (likely body core temp dropped). Waves were modest and round out in front of Lot 5. Better (steeper, cleaner and longer) in front of Incinerator Rock. Pretty sure a few waves were shared with Catherine Bruhwiler (surfing). Bike ride from Mackezie to town on `new trail` via Middle Beach, Third Beach, Tonquin Beach. Dinner and Soho and ice cream on the ride back to camp. Another fun day of exploring new places and enjoy familiar ones!

Slideshow
C36

by gabrielb » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:08 pm

fyi, some NW upgraded. 8ft-6ft tide, 0.8mHB (18knots) should be enough.
gabrielb

by C36 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:17 am

VI 8 – SUP at Long Beach (July 27)

Arrived at the `line up` at Long Beach, but it was outside the gate at Incinerator Rock parking lot (summer time). Once inside enjoyed my breakfast atop Incinerator Rock while Ethan napped in the back of the van. Decided to wait for the tide to hit bottom and try and walk out to Lovekin Rock and then surf the `better` waves on the flooding tide. The walk out was fun (crabs, starfish, shorebirds), but a micro low caused the wind to puff just after we took to the water to SUP. The couple from North Carolina on wave SUP’s were making it work early on, but it was a lot of work for what we were able to get out of it. Decided to try a SUP sail while there was wind.

Slideshow

VI 9 – SUP sail at Long Beach (July 27)

Mixed bag. Lullish wind, wind shifts from side onshore to side offshore, round waves, wind/no wave, wave/no wind, a few light backside cruisers, a few frontside one hit wonders. Strange setup for sure. Bike ride up to explore the islands at Schooner Cove. Saw Thelaw and Mercer taking to the water in more settled and more promising waves. Went into town for ice cream, supplies, a share plate at the Wolf and the Fog and then a sunset look-see at Cox Bay. Lots of white water and the occasional clean face. A few of the surfers on shortboards were working it. Campfire. Another full day – this one a little bitter-sweet.

Slideshow

VI 10 – SUP at Cox Bay (July 28)

Leftovers. Low tide exploring of `tunnel` from Rosie Bay to Cox Bay and the `blow hole` at Rosie Bay, but Ethan wasn`t too keen to surf the modest waves at Rosie Bay/South Chesterman. The leftovers at Cox Bay looked good so we walked Ethan’s surf board and two SUP’s down. Ethan caught a few rides on the surf board (paddling looked way better) then switched to SUP. Ethan found the smaller, softer clean waves a little tough to catch, but he caught more than a few and I can seem big improvement. It was all fun for me. Way better than yesterday at LB.

Slideshow

VI 11 – SUP sail at Long Beach (July 28)

Fun. New day, new energy. Clean rows of knee-high waves and enough wind to catch them. There was enough wind I almost jumped the first wave on the way out – could have been windsurfing most of the time. Three kites out below Lovekin and a few surfers out off Incinerator Rock, but I had the section between Incinerator and Lovein to myself for the most part with the pick of the litter. Ride Engine performing well. Easy, pesy, lemon squeezy. Walked down to TinWis for dinner. Another beauty sunset!

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by gabrielb » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:45 pm

C36, that's great! Warm temperatures too
gabrielb

by C36 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:46 am

VI 12 – Kite + Windsurf at China Creek (July 29)

Lake-like. Broke camp in Tofino and headed inland. Picked up lunch for the road at the Ukee Bakery and more supplies in Port Alberni. It looked like 4.5 weather in town at the harbour when we ate lunch. Arrived mid-afternoon at China Creek at our beachside campsite and quickly arranged for a Jet Ski shuttle upwind for Ethan. The good folks at Girl on a Board Kite School kindly fit us in. Wind was steady at first and then got a little patchy, gusty and shifty. I was only able to make it up to the next fishing dock and maintain my ground (6.1/115). Ethan was able to get ride but had to power stroke the kite at times (12 m) – we estimated he did about 25 to 30 reaches in total before he came down to sail with me above the main beach. The only assistance he needed was I had to retrieve he board once while on the far side near a massive log boom. He then was able to drive back upwind and land at the main beach. Well done! Fun to sail together! As Kus said this place has beauty, camping and water quality. Warm water, friendly people, spectacular scenery, hot indoor showers, LTE, warm, dry – this place is a gem hidden in plain sight. First time for both Ethan and I and I sense we will both be back here again.

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by gabrielb » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:50 am

C36, that chocolate brownie is everywhere :shock:

George is getting a stress rash ... no waves. Emergency Seaside OR trip this Wednesday .

I have a feeling tomorrow 5-7am there will be something at WB (need Ballenas to be at least 18 knots to drive), HB still down.
gabrielb

by C36 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:37 pm

gabrielb wrote:C36, that chocolate brownie is everywhere :shock:

George is getting a stress rash ... no waves. Emergency Seaside OR trip this Wednesday .

I have a feeling tomorrow 5-7am there will be something at WB (need Ballenas to be at least 18 knots to drive), HB still down.

Are you sure you`re not just seeing things. :D ;)

VI 13 – Windsurf at Nitinat (July 30)

Solo. Windy all night at China Creek and sailable on big gear by 8:30 am. Broke camp and headed off to Nitinat by Ethan`s choice. Arrived at the lake around noon to find the campground ‘long weekend’ busy (despite not being a long weekend) and gentle 12 m conditions and thought it was going to be a quiet day, but the wind ramped up pretty quickly driving most of the foils from the lake. Found a parking spot beside the ‘Windfest complaint department’ (outhouse near the west beach entrance) and claimed a beach site way up the beach. Ran into one of our neighbours taking the first day of lessons with the good folks at Elevation. Seems I have tired Ethan out and he wanted to take a day to rest (despite the best kiteboarding conditions of the trip). It looked pretty windy so decided on 4.5/92 but it wasn’t enough to keep moving all of the time so came in for 5.3/115 – that was better. Saw Maryam, Winddoctor, Fish, Windude, and others out on the water. Fun playing down in the windsurfer’s playground until most cleared the water for the commute home. Sailed up and around the island match racing a Sailworks Retro unwind. Rounded the island to find a narrower channel than I remembered and a deadhead on the leeward side of the island. Stopped at the river mouth to scope a spot on the gravel bar for Ethan to launch on tomorrow. Set up camp on a second row site in the trees with peak-a-boo water view that opened up just as I came off the water. Glad to see everyone is following the fire ban restriction, but sad to see some don’t get the practice of a ‘bare’ campsite. Thankful to have a place to rig, a place to stay and air in all four of my tires!

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing