Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by C36 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:56 pm

gabrielb wrote:Cox bay photo from 200 meters above water. is there a trail?

keeldude wrote:Yeah, I believe there is a trail to the lookout above the bay. I've never been but I've seen lots of photos from up there. Probably isn't too hard to find.

There is an informal trail, but it is rough (think Grouse Grind with mud and roots). Trail head is in the chute near the high tide line. It is so steep in one section I didn't think the dog was going to make it up/down, but she did (think chain section of The Chief). There are three peaks very close together at the top (one facing north - view shown in the photo, once facing west, and one facing south toward Radar Hill/Wick). Its worth it.
C36

by C36 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:03 pm

LDW1 – SUP sail – Long Beach (2019 Aug 30)

Sloppy. Looked more like Lake Ontario wind swell than Long Beach from the shore, but there were a few ground swell to be had. Mainly backside pinching given the side-on wind/wave angle. One other wind person out trying a 12 m OR Roam but losing a lot ground, walking the beach and repeating. Nice to get out after being land bound on the travel day the day before.

Gallery (to view slideshow hit the screen icon in the top right)

LDW2 – SUP – Wickaninnish Beach (2019 Aug 30)

Glassy. Small, predictable and glassy. The clean min-walls that usually are found in the cove had migrated down the beach to Lot D given the modest size, but it was a fun all the same. Redbaron and Nanmoo out too. Campfire bar-b-que dinner.

LDW3 – SUP – Cox Bay (2019 Aug 31)

100. Counted about one hundred people in the water from the north access to the north end of the beach (where all the waves were). Clean mini-walls, but limited to only one hit before you entered the hoards. Dunkinguy and crew out too.

LDW4 – SUP – Wickaninnish Beach (2019 Aug 31)

Golden. Looked larger but more variable than last night. Looked like two background south swells had arrived. Too round to catch off Lot D and lots of double-ups rolling through. Finally relented and went down to the next peak and caught a few bombs but even these rounded off on the inside. A few memorable moments. Golden evening twilight session! Tailgate dinner in the walk-in parking lot (hiding from the mist).

LDW5 – SUP – Wickaninnish Beach (2019 Sept 1)

Rounder. Similar to last night but more variety with some larger (and the cove was back in play) but generally rounder and harder to catch down at Lot E. TheLaw and MiniLaw were out enjoying the cove.

Last edited by C36 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by C36 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:50 pm

LDW6 – SUP – Cox Bay Beach (2019 Sept 1)

Open. Wanted something with a little more distance than three turn peaks and mini sets in the cove at Wick so opted for an evening cool down at Cox Bay on a falling mid-tide. It seemed to work – had Maltby peak pretty much all to myself and was treated to some nice long open rights. Two pieces of Cod (one grilled and one fried) and green salad at Oceanside Grill as the sun went down. Campfire to warm up. Another full day.

LDW7 – SUP – Long Beach (2019 Sept 2)

High Noon. Blue bird morning with delicious sunshine (but off-shore fog bank and fog cap in effect at Green Point all day)! Breakfast atop Incinerator Rock in some light fog pondering if the glassy round waves were worth the dumpy shore break. After chatting with a few others decided to be patient and wait for the softer waves to arrive on the early afternoon flooding tide. This proved to be a good decision – lots of soft open rights (but a few full spins on waves that were jacking and dumping faster than the `gentle giants` at Wick). Paddled down to Lot 4 to see if the right was still there and it was (super fun, but irregular and lots of wind chop today). Paddled back up the beach to catch a few more waves off Incinerator Rock. Fun session. Beach was busy today with lots in swimming in the warm summer water.

LDW8 – SUP – Long Beach (2019 Sept 2)

Glow. Afternoon NW sea breeze was steady and just about drew me out for a SUP-sail and then it backed. Besides I was looking forward to at least one warm sunny summer evening glass off and this was going to be the only chance. Waves dropped a little on the ebbing tide and less water over the outer bar the rides were a little shorter, but there were still some pushy drops followed by long rights just off of Incinerator Rock. Lots of rides to be had followed by my first Shed take-out burger for dinner over an evening campfire.

LDW9 – SUP – Wickaninnish Beach (2019 Sept 3)

One and Done.
Morning breakfast at Long Beach to see if the SW 5’ @ 15 seconds had started to show itself. There were some larger sets waking up the otherwise mellow morning, but nothing serious yet and what was there looked to be a bit dumpy and right on the beach on the low tide.

Off to Flo (too small and fat), but Wick was a surprise – WOW! Wick was pumping at Lot B and there was a lot of water flowing out the rip and waves thumping and boiling in the cove. To make it even stranger the waves were biggest right at Lot B (not at the dunes and beyond like a SW swell would). These were big and looked like they were acting with authority on the inside, but there were lulls, so I decided to give it a try (although a beat down with a ton of swimming was not really the way I wanted to end the trip). I just about made it out the first time and then got rejected (likely aborted and rode the reform back in a little too soon) so decided to check out the cove – waves were confused and those coming in had more heft than usual and were thumping on the beach in the mid-tide. Another lull signalled a window to give the peak off Lot B a try. Paddled across the river of a rip and then waited. Waited. And waited some more. The wave angle now seemed to have shifted SW and was now delivering larger waves along the beach starting at the dunes. The pack of surfers grew restless and started paddling north. I saw another set rolling into Lot B on the horizon so I stayed put and along with one shortboard surfer. He dropped into the first wave (being a little further north and closer to the peak) and I took the second slightly bigger and steeper to the south where I was. It was travelling with power and speed so just made the drop into what felt DOH (double over head) and then speed right as fast as I could away from the throwing wall chasing me. It let me ride as far as the inside sandbar then collapsed. This whole set-up made me really uneasy so that was it for me – one and done on the main peak. Nice that the biggest wave of the trip was the last one. Funny part was guy parked next to me said he saw that wave and he seemed pretty impressed by my ride.

Took a quick look at Flo on the way out to see if my theory of the SW kicking in was showing up at Flo – not - it was still too round and being hampered by a lot of double-ups so I started the trip home thankful for all I was able to get out of the ‘rainy’ weekend.

C36

by gabrielb » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:46 am

surf.JPG
surf.JPG (50.34 KiB) Viewed 17962 times

11-3pm @PR. Any kitesurfer is welcome (@marina, right side), as I've been having a few solo sessions the past weeks.

2 kitesurfers are always at WB, nice to know they are getting some waves (wind shutdown happens but it's shallow and easy to swim, + you can drag for a while).
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:19 am

sandy shores just spiked....2 hours for PR to build @11am. 4 hours for Columbia beach 1pm peak for halibut bank..

sandyShores.JPG
sandyShores.JPG (15.24 KiB) Viewed 17955 times
gabrielb

by C36 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:06 pm

MB1 - Cox Bay (2020 Mar 16)

Summer swell. Treated ourselves to a few days at Pacific Sands – ocean view, fireplace, kitchen, hot outdoor shower, and break right there. Popped out for sunset session at the end of our travel day. Local working at the resort said it looked like summer swell – but that was fine with me. Flooding mid-tide small wedge in the cove at the north end of the beach and some lines at the north trail head. 5/4 summer suit, no hood or gloves. Stepped off the water and sat down to nice meal with family. Feeling pretty spoiled.

Gallery to view as a slideshow hit the “screen” icon (top, right)
C36

by C36 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:09 pm

MB2 - Cox Bay (2020 Mar 17)

Morning hedge. Frost at dawn. Larger peaky west swell this morning. Took to the water after breakfast once the air temp came up a little and the bonus was the waves cleaned up a bit and it was still glassy. Returned to the wedge in the south cove. More rides scored then lost.

MB3 - Cox Bay (2020 Mar 17)

Father and son. Ethan finally joined in the fun. Choose new summer 3/2 front zip, no hood, and no boots - just right once my feet went numb (just as warm as my old 5/4). We had to paddle to the south end of the beach on the low slack tide, but got the goods!

C36

by C36 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:36 pm

MB4 - Cox Bay (2020 Mar 18)

Wedge. On the water by 9 am as I waited for the air temp to come up a little. Paddled out in the light off-shore wind to join the pack of four surfers on the high slack tide wedge in the cove at the north end of the beach. Got lucky and scored set wave right off. Then a few more in rotation. Fun to watch what the skilled surfers can do – ripping it up like George! Then waves at the wedge seemed to melt away so paddled down to mid-beach getting treated to a few of what seemed like the background south swell along the way. Caught my exit wave left pretty much back to the path just in time to cook brunch.

MB5 - Cox Bay (2020 Mar 18)

Closing Time. Ethan and I got in a late afternoon session. We spent most of time at the far south end of the beach riding the more consistent background swell – there were a few memorable sets (some ridden and some taken on the head).

Tofino is closing down business-by-business and emptying now. Feels like an eerie version of the first school day after the Labour Day weekend – hardly anyone on the beach today. Pre-planned return home on Thursday.

C36

by C36 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:57 pm

MB6 - Cox Bay (2020 Mar 19)

Travel day. Up at dawn and surprised to see some of the nicest conditions of out brief mini-trip – glassy clean peaks under mixed cloud (so air temp was much warmer than previous mornings). Took to the water by myself so got to use Ethan’s ProWave for the first part, then joined by Ethan. Spent most of the time on the wedge and caught a few on the first peak in front of the Cox Bay Resort. Fun while it lasted.

The two top floors of the building we stayed in were now empty and it sounded like they would be closed outright by the end of the weekend. I also heard chatter that they would be setting up a kitchen to prep meals for those in need. Entrances to the Esowista reserves had both been barracked with logs when we passed. I also heard chatter that the construction crew at the Kennedy curves had ‘gone home’ so there would be no closures and the construction site was empty with the exception of the crew alternating the traffic when we drove through. Most people on the lower deck of the ferry stayed in their vehicles. Hope the changes are all helping to flatten the curve.

C36

by telus022420 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:52 pm

The board with the handle is at the end and it didn't work.

https://youtu.be/0Gs-cIeHWbc
telus022420

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing