Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by ShonanDB » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:28 pm

It looks and sounds like you guys are having a great time!
DB
ShonanDB

by gabrielb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:22 am

Ballenas:
ballenas.JPG
ballenas.JPG (13.36 KiB) Viewed 14404 times

Sisters:
Sisters.JPG
Sisters.JPG (13.19 KiB) Viewed 14404 times

Tide 8-6ft (just right).

North Van camera shows ripples.
westCamera.JPG
westCamera.JPG (44.97 KiB) Viewed 14404 times

== some waist surf at WB. fyi. Next session, probably in 2 weeks.
gabrielb

by C36 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:28 pm

VI 14 – Kite + Windsurf at Nitinat (July 31)

Cat and mouse. Looks like the day of rest yesterday paid off for Ethan as he had lots of energy to burn today! We waited for the peak of the wind and he took out a 9 m launching from the main kite beach around 2 pm between the two kiteboarding schools (Strong and Elevation). He looked a little unsettled at first and lost some ground, but quickly got into a groove and was charging upwind and quickening his transitions. Fun to go from being his shadow (watched two board retrievals early on but didn’t have to assist) to match racing him upwind and trading turns! The wind was a little gustier and shiftier than yesterday and I was struggling to keep going in the end so Ethan stayed out longer than I did. I asked Ethan if he wanted to head in and he said no, he was having fun. Nice! I was now pretty comfortable leaving him out on the water and watching him from shore. Nice to see him out playing on his own too! I was there to catch his kite when he finally came in just below Strong. Well done buddy! Saw three kites in the trees today – glad none of them belonged to Ethan.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by Michael » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:18 pm

C36 wrote:I was now pretty comfortable leaving him out on the water and watching him from shore.
That's great Dave! Sounds like you guys are having a fantastic trip.
Finally got the kids out surfing behind the boat the last few days. Lots of smoke in the valley this morning tough and you could hardly see the other side of the lake. Hope the rest of your trip is good!
Michael

by Slappy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:56 pm

Enjoy those balmy 30 degree days David! Forecast drops to 20 by the time I arrive Friday :(

How are you posting these trip reports? Paying for wifi at the store?
Slappy

by gabrielb » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:13 am

Ballenas 23 knots , about 1m. At WB, 4am reading, HB about 20 knots.
Tide is good.
5-730am
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:16 am

Small surf 5-7am at WB today, with Adam. He said yesterday was better. I would say about 0.7mHB today, probably 0.8m yesterday.

(driving to work after in my rust bucket, waiting for a light downtown, Tom -shadymorels - was next to me) ... Tom, great to see you. yes! not a good 2017 for Vancouver surfing, but you have to join us at Point Roberts, winter time, as waves have more power there than WB, bigger, not far away either. Oswalt West (Shortsands) OR would be your kind of wave, fast and quick but tide has to be low there for a mean break. Hopefully see you next time when HB gets over 1.2m :) .

George at Seaside today, couldn't wait any longer :shock:

I would say 5:15am-7:15am Friday morning, next mild NW. Tide looks ok at under 10ft
gabrielb

by C36 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:46 am

ShonanDB wrote:It looks and sounds like you guys are having a great time!
DB

C36 wrote:I was now pretty comfortable leaving him out on the water and watching him from shore.

Michael wrote:That's great Dave! Sounds like you guys are having a fantastic trip.
Finally got the kids out surfing behind the boat the last few days. Lots of smoke in the valley this morning tough and you could hardly see the other side of the lake. Hope the rest of your trip is good!

The 'father-son' tour was fun for sure (including the brownie)! :D ;) Last installment below. :cry:

Slappy wrote:Enjoy those balmy 30 degree days David! Forecast drops to 20 by the time I arrive Friday :(

How are you posting these trip reports? Paying for wifi at the store?

Yup (its pretty fast). Good folks at the store. Note the 'new' hours (they close at 8 pm now).

VI 15 – Kite + Windsurf at Nitinat (August 1)

Travel day. Broke camp and waited for the delayed start. There was considerable speculation on the beach about how much of an impact the `high heat` inland would have on the wind. Most of the anxiety evaporated when a well-defined wind line appeared about 11:30 am. Ethan wanted to ride his 9 m again, so that`s what he did. I was pleasantly surprised he could make it work as I took 6.1 and a 28 cm fin for more power and drive. Ethan had sailed up to the river by the time I took to the water. We played together and then Ethan decided to head in and I shot down to ride with Adrian for a short stint, then also called it a day around 4 pm. Drive out on north shore was uneventful (thankfully) accept for one rough section on both sides of a bridge crossing. Wildfire smoke from the interior over Lake Cowichan. Ethan was saying his legs are sore and I`m sure he will sleep well for the next few days. Nice to get out on the water one last time together!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by gabrielb » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:40 am

Again, looks like 0.9mHB.
At 7ft tide, looks good.
Eta 515am and strong coffee after.... Adam, 3 in a row, in zombieland, looks better than monday ;)
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:26 am

went down. Sisters 15, Ballenas 17knt, felt like 0.5m.

Chris & Adam suping these ultra small waves today.

So we have 0.8,0.7,0.5 in 3 days.

I am guessing tomorrow will be around ~0.4m :?

camera doesn't lie, @ north shore
flat.JPG
flat.JPG (46.55 KiB) Viewed 14227 times

but head high for this fellow...
headHigh.JPG
headHigh.JPG (60.65 KiB) Viewed 14225 times
gabrielb

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing