Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by C36 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 am

gabrielb wrote:...Dave, nice and sunny, a great getaway.
George is demanding head-high waves :? , it may take a while.

I think I found a few. :o :D ;)

VI 16 – SUP + surf at Rosie Bay (August 9)

Velvet gullies. Low tide dawn patrol at Rosie Bay served up easy to catch velvet gullies. Sweet lefts off the third head. Chest-high-plus sets arriving in pulses. Better than the ‘one star’ forecast. Great way to start the day (especially after not getting out on the water the day before on our travel day)!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

VI 17 – SUP + surf at Long Beach (August 9)

Two new surfers! Afternoon high-tide session for the whole ‘team’ (five in all, two longboard surf, two prone SUP, and one paddle SUP) that didn’t look like much to start, but turned out to be fun for all! Average gentle waist-high, but some head-high sneeker sets. One set that had the guy on SUP near us say “This is a big one, start paddling kids!” Nice way to end the session – with a clearing wave!

Slideshow

VI 18 – SUP at Rosie Bay & Cox Bay (August 10)

Rounded the horn. Launched at the pavilion at South Chesterman to access Rosie Bay at low tide again. Similar conditions to the day before but the slightly higher tide softened the waves a touch. Then was drawn around the ‘horn’ into Cox Bay and caught a few open rights with speed on the upper half of the wave – super fun! When I came off the water it looked like someone ‘important’ in town (six vehiulce security motorcade and police boats out on the water). Justin maybe?

Slideshow

VI 19 – SUP + surf at Cox Bay (August 10)

Sunshine and fog. Afternoon session with the team (six in total this time). Started in the sunshine, lunch break and then finishing in on glassy waves in the fog. Lots of northbound current, dumpy waves and whitewater mid-beach, way less and cleaner waves north beach. Everyone caught rides, my daughter caught her first rides on a true shortboard, everyone traded boards and everyone learned something. Time well spent!

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:45 am

VI 20 – SUP + surf at Long Beach (August 11)

Big crew. Day started with school assignment online and mini golf waiting for the air to warm beyond thirteen degrees and trying to will the sun to show. Arrived a Long Beach to find parking but small waves. Things started to improve on the mid-flood tide and a crew of five took to the water with a full range of tools – everything from the `banana boat` (10` yellow Bic long board) to the `potato chip` (5`8"+ shortboard). They all worked! Four surfing and one on SUP (me). Fog kept most off the water so it felt like we had the place to ourselves. More trading boards and trading learns. Fun day at LB!

Slideshow

VI 21 – Windsurf at Long Beach (August 12)

Kona rain drop kisses. Broke camp and took a low tide walk around Rosie Bay with the family to show them the canyons, blow hole and tunnel – they were all impressed. Then swung by Long Beach on my way to SUP at Wick for a look-see and found SE wind, white caps and playful waves. Decided to follow the lead of the guy from Hood River with the 11 m kite. Took to the water I stop/start conditions and was joined by Redbaron and BFD. Mainly backside pushes in the sideonshore wind, but a few soft frontside rides too. Whales spouting out on the water. Funny walking across the rain pitted damp sand and returning to puddles in the parking lot. Silly me left of the ‘sun’ roof open (but luckily protected by for the most part by the boards on the roof).

Slideshow
C36

by C36 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:13 pm

VI 22 – Windsurf at Long Beach (August 13)

Icing on the cake. Decided to delay my departure by a day. Had to weather the rainy night but awoke to blue bird sky on the coast and northwest flow pushing the fog inland. The Chestermans were teasing early and I watched for over an hour but there just wasn`t enough swell on South to draw me out. Ran into town to run errands and returned back about an hour later to find it looking better (more wind and some traces of swell now) so checked in with BFD at Long Beach (light) and started rigging. Then word came back that Long Beach `was on` so threw the gear back in the van and headed down.

It was a touch light on arrival and looked more like SUP sailing weather to me, but that was fine it gave me some time to put out all of my rain soaked camping gear to dry in the sun. Followed BFD (windsurfer with 6.9) and Redbaron (windsurfer with 5.0) out with SUP sail (5.3 and 120) and was beginning to think I should have started with windsurfing hull right away as walked across the beach to the water`s edge. But once out on the water it proved comfy in the early lulls. Hood River kiter and his partner rigged. HRK took to the water, but his partner derigged once she saw the challenges on offer (shorebreak and gusty wind). Nasty low-tide shore pound combined with non-optimal inside lulls had me rolling with my gear in the shore break more than once, but there were some sweet rewards to be had once past the line of sandy brown churn. Multi-hit down-the-line rides and many smiles were had. Switched to windsurfing hull and shared an-all-smiles party wave with RB. Hood River kiter`s bob-n-weave through the pack of surfers near Lovekin was making me nervous (spoke to him after). Then the McNubb`n showed it`s mean side and bit RB`s knee – sorry to see his session cut short with a trip to the hospital. One down and Hood River kiter left water saying “That was a little hectic!”, but BFD and I carried on and were soon joined by Dunkinguy (slashed waves, threw forwards, and released the hate). Pretty clear out in front of Incinerator Rock until the flash mob of boogie boarders arrived on mass. Swell kept building on the rising tide and pumping wind. Lots of swell to choose from including a few clean mini-bombs! Kus and Jelly arrived on a day trip. Jessie returned from the hospital with four stiches and winced at the sight of the clean high-tide waves while being forced to remain on the beach with his four new stiches (my guess more painful than the cut or the stiches). Glad RB got most of it early on and hope he heals fast. So glad I stayed on for this one – classic Long Beach day and icing on the cake for this SUP trip!

Passed by whitecaps on Kennedy Lake (common on `good days`) and on Taylor Arm (first time I have seen anything but glass on Taylor Arm) on the drive out.

Slideshow

VI 23 – Windsurf at China Creek (August 13)

Evening cool down on big gear and flat water with just enough daylight left to sail, set up camp and cook dinner before dark.

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Michael » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Nice score Dave! Sorry to hear about Jesse though.
Michael

by gabrielb » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 am

At least someone is getting some, no action around here :|

funny pic...real:
eh.JPG
eh.JPG (92.56 KiB) Viewed 15604 times
gabrielb

by C36 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:16 pm

gabrielb wrote:...NW's look very weak. George, Tom & myself have given up until October; SE, NW's for 2017 are not there, it's a lost year. Maybe 5 good session for 2017... it's that bad.

NW's have changed (not aligned). Last good Acadia session? memory fails....

GB: Any thoughts on this coming Saturday (Aug 19)?
C36

by gabrielb » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:19 pm

...upgrade
sisters.JPG
sisters.JPG (41.01 KiB) Viewed 15484 times

water by 5:30am

--------------------------
Saturday : 10ft to 6ft (6am-8am), tide is good if any surf(wind) during that time, closer buoy then last buoy.

Sisters, same as ballenas, sand heads a little less wind, they haven't fixed HB.
Sisters.JPG
Sisters.JPG (24.81 KiB) Viewed 15551 times

At 5:15am take a look at sisters & Ballenas
https://weather.gc.ca/marine/weatherCon ... tionID=WGB
https://weather.gc.ca/marine/weatherCon ... tionID=WGT

If you see 18 knots and higher on both, give it a try. It shows rain at yvr at that time but still NW (no NE helps).

Anything under 18 knots, I would not bother (HB should be over 15 knots, but no sensor).

If I see anything worth going I`ll show up, but need to leave water by 7am, other plans.

We did not have any fun in the summer (except you, C36), hoping for some fall storms.
gabrielb

by Slappy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Surf forecast for WB tomorrow morning looking very good.

Don't think I can make it though as I'm heading south for the eclipse.
Slappy

by gabrielb » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:05 pm

seems like a good SUP day from 6am-8:30 am ... tide too low for WB after.

1 break at 6am.
Slappy, enjoy Oregon (full eclipse) :) 10:20am Monday 8-)
gabrielb

by Slappy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Planning to surf Pacific City on Sunday, anyone have any experience there?

Then it's off to Bend to hit up the whitewater park, look for me on the webcam:
http://www.bendbulletin.com/outdoors/we ... romoId=519
Slappy

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing