Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by george » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:36 pm

Gabriel, the wind was south at Saturna, not SE today, so I think that's why the jetty wasn't working so well, and higher tide also.
It picked up again after nine, Dave, Darrell and I had a few more nice ones for an hour. Dave had a loooong wave... rivaled some of yours, but they started to break quite close to the beach, and the water was getting lots of flotsam around 10am.
Dave/Darrell had some deep swell windsurfing , on the outside too, heads below the wave tops!
Nice and warm, cannot complain.
Hope for more this week.
george

by gabrielb » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:00 pm

G, you are right, S on Canada website, no wonder I had some lefts.

Tues, is the same deal, at the same time.
Thurs, it's the best forecast I've ever seen for the last 6 months for SE. Be prepared for 8 footers, from the first marker at 9 ft tide. :twisted:
gabrielb

by C36 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:40 pm

gabrielb wrote:7-9am. By 9am tide too high, wind weaker.

Saturna delivered a nice 31-39 knots for those 2 hours, but still we had better last February, and I am still waiting for the 150 meter right break that shows at 10 ft tide and 40+ knots at Saturna.

Dave, no more photos unless you SUP first. Local waves don't last long, if I could hero pro a few rides from 2016 it would make cool movie, but you guys windsurfing that break on extreme wind/surf would make a cooler movie (page 53 of thread has a PR video of break, full on)
Lately it's just 45 minutes of great surf.

More this week, we have to accept the short sessions given the high tide. It s hard to leave a fun break that went flat, expecting more.

Hope the wind delivered, but checking area seems to be weakening surf-wise.

george wrote:Gabriel, the wind was south at Saturna, not SE today, so I think that's why the jetty wasn't working so well, and higher tide also.
It picked up again after nine, Dave, Darrell and I had a few more nice ones for an hour. Dave had a loooong wave... rivaled some of yours, but they started to break quite close to the beach, and the water was getting lots of flotsam around 10am.
Dave/Darrell had some deep swell windsurfing , on the outside too, heads below the wave tops!
Nice and warm, cannot complain.
Hope for more this week.

:D :D :D

Reunion. Arrived to 3rd to find light wind and flat water. Headed off to Point Roberts for a look-see. Found GB and George out enjoying the morning swell. DB and I rigged windsurfing gear and popped out for a few runs in the building onshore wind and swell. Wind backed and switched gear for SUP and surf board. Caught a couple of rides (one right, one chicken run straight in, and one left) but is was hard work in the rolly water and rebounding wind. Saw George drop into a nice one up close! Decided to pack-up and head for Centennial as the shore break was likely to start getting a little poundy here. Fun start to the day.

Pre-Launch Look-See OSR at Centennial

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by Vero » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:26 pm

Just came back from La Ventana last night. I was still on Mexican pace and got to Centennial a little too late in the afternoon. The wind dropped just as I went on the water on my 4.1/90L. I did a few reaches and decided to come back and check out Point Roberts instead.

I surfed from 3:30pm until sunset. Looking at the pictures, I think the surf was smaller than what you guys got in the morning but it was big enough to catch good rides. I had it all to myself.

Tough to adjust to the cold water after two weeks of windsurfing in my bikini!
Vero

by gabrielb » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:30 am

The BB space photo came true...
bb.jpg
bb.jpg (13.36 KiB) Viewed 19889 times

In the meantime George shrugged off the wind and had a few...
g.JPG
g.JPG (44.81 KiB) Viewed 19889 times

some video of conditions (when all done, first marker had breaks, less, South?) from a friend of a friend (very windy)...

friend was bouncing like a beach ball on wave faces after taking off (too much fun last night :? )
gabrielb

by george » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Great day. Some big slabs of water moving around out there! Ate a few, took a few on the melon, and snagged a few...like the friend, and Grant. Brock will torture a few next time! Good times. Must've been cranking for the Baby crew, too.
george

by gabrielb » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:41 pm

in surfing there is a lot of waiting for the right wave.
Might as well give some insight about wind swell. some of you may have noticed.
Can't recall NW's sessions anymore but on SE's, last few sessions, in general:

. Sets come every 10 minutes, everything else is half size.
. Sets come as 4 waves. 1st waves I never take. 2nd wave is the best of the set, 3rd wave is steeper but 3/4 of the size of the second wave, 4th wave is half size.
. 2 minutes later you ll get a second set sometimes better than the first set.
.you miss those 2 sets, you'll wait 10-15 min for the next one.

Last session was too South, set size was there but didn't last long (7-830am), head size, sometimes better. George got a few after. More SE would've been better for PR.

For costal surf the above does not apply, I usually take the first wave.

Wind swell vs coastal surf. Every session has some waves that match coastal surf if you follow the above, surf those, miss the rest :| and save the ferry ride & time. You'll get bored locally otherwise.
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:51 am

PR. Tide flat at 11-12ft . Looks good. if nothing else.

frid.JPG
frid.JPG (70.31 KiB) Viewed 19740 times
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:43 pm

George, a slightly bigger version of today...
eh.JPG
eh.JPG (70.67 KiB) Viewed 19706 times

-sun, +wind. tofino like.

friend got a nice wave. :D
gabrielb

by george » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:10 pm

GB delivered again. Nice tide, and good wind gave nice waves. Yes the 'friend' stroked into more than one nice wave today. Good times, 1130ish-3ish. Sweet wind spot seems to be 30+; <12 ft tide, and -5° to 10° help to give 6ft+ faces.
Some flotsam in the water, and twice my foot struck something in quick succession...I convinced myself it was my leash, but it didn't feel like my leash...perhaps just some kelp...
If one is patient, there sure are some nice waves to be had.
Next time can't come soon enough. See you guys out there.
George
george

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing