Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by gabrielb » Sun May 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Yes, 6pm to 9pm
gabrielb

by C36 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:53 am

Shot over to the Pacific Rim again to take advantage of ocean view campsite reservation at Green Point (#Canada150).

SUP - North Chesterman (2017 May 13)

Wave machine. Leisurely start to the day that included pancakes at the camp site and walk to the rocks/tidal pools at Green Point passed by Long Beach (roly but reports of it had been 'good' earlier) and Cox Bay (crazy busy with surfing contest) to arrive to a pleasant surprise at North Chesterman - knee-to-waist-high-perfect practice waves on the rising tide! Ethan choose to SUP and his catch percentage and wave count were both personal bests! Even though it was just the two of us out for most of the session (two others showed up with long boards near the end), there were at least four 'official' party waves, and a few more 'unofficial' ones! Fun session for sure! Summer suit and summer-like swell. After the wave-machine-like consistency of North Chesterman, Ethan was not feeling the love at South Chesterman so we called it day, grabbed Red Can Gourmet and 'dined' on the two red chairs atop the rocks at Green Point and enjoyed being surrounded by the high-tide surf show! Not bad for a day that was forecast to be non-stop rain. :D ;)

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Wind SUP + SUP - Long Beach (2017 May 14)

Goldilocks. Rain rolled through late in the night a awoke to a clearing sky. Stopped for a quick look-see at Long Beach, but the Ethan wanted to check on North Chesterman before committing to Long Beach, but brothers Chesterman were in a flat somber mood, so it was back to Long Beach and freshening breeze. Decided to start on SUP sail and after the last wide-eyed SUP sail attempt at Long Beach (wind too light, waves too big), this one was 'just right' (steady side-onshore wind) and gentle, playful waves). Ethan started on SUP and later switched to surfboard. I switched to SUP while Ethan was on surfboard. Second nice surprise of the 'weekender'. Redbaron took the 'land-side freestyle machine' prototype to a test run, then BFD and Redbaron took to the water just as we were headed out. Grabbed Tacofino on our way out of town and ate one-handed while driving like I was at a pie-eating contest. Fun trip! Glad Ethan came along! :D

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by gabrielb » Mon May 15, 2017 11:05 am

C36, I am very close to drive my crappy car and head your way for a full week of surfing (sleeping in car next to my board ;) ), no shower for a week, like old times.

Locally it has been ***. very much ***

just look at this SE...

eh.JPG
eh.JPG (55.72 KiB) Viewed 14255 times
gabrielb

by C36 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:29 am

gabrielb wrote:C36, I am very close to drive my crappy car and head your way for a full week of surfing (sleeping in car next to my board ;) ), no shower for a week, like old times.

Sometimes the simple approach is the best approach. :D New hot indoor showers at Green Point are luxurious for sure, but that and power at the campsite feels a little 'odd' somehow. :oops: :lol:

Conditions were far from epic, but were perfect practice waves for Ethan and I to share together! No fear (well except one 'reminder' set of mini-bombs at LB), all fun! :D ;)
C36

by C36 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:30 am

Cross-posted for convenience.

roydpm wrote:Heading with wife to Tofino In June. First time to SUP surf there. Any suggestions on best locations for intermediate level? Thanks
Staying Cox Bay

• The good news is Pacific Rim (Tofino-Ukee) offers lots of options - the bad news is it can make it harder to choose as conditions can vary greatly day-to-day even hour-to-hour.
  • There are some general observations here that ring true from what I have seen. Not listed are Long Beach (dial-a-wave conditions - smaller north and larger south Incinerator Rock) and Wickaninnish Beach (in the cove at the south end right outside the visitors' centre) which can also offer up great SUP conditions, but they are further away from where you are staying.
  • June will likely offer up some smaller summer swell.
  • If you are staying at Cox Bay its worth a look/try for sure, but it can be a volatile/difficult spot (as different swells can converge creating 'concentrated' conditions).
  • Check out the surfcams (make sure to check the date stamps on the images to make sure they are 'fresh').
  • Ask for "pick of the day" at the local surf shops (their suggestion will likely be 'busy' with schools and/or rentals).
Hope this is of some use to you. Enjoy the trip!
C36

by gabrielb » Wed May 17, 2017 4:26 pm

gabrielb

by Slappy » Wed May 17, 2017 6:08 pm

It looks like people are paddling back in that video, why wouldn't they just walk? It's like a 1 km break!
Slappy

by C36 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:08 pm

gabrielb wrote:

:shock: GB: NICE! I think you posted this one in the wrong spot. It should be in the "favorite videos" thread! :D ;)

A little distracting seeing the drone 'air traffic' though ~

Slappy wrote:It looks like people are paddling back in that video, why wouldn't they just walk? It's like a 1 km break!

Could be the same reason some mountain bikers ride up the hill and forego the 'shuttle', or skiers hike up for their turns - they want to earn them. Or it could be for the exercise to stay in paddling shape. Or maybe it's the principle of it. Or it could be the challenge. Or maybe pride/ego. Or maybe they are just enjoying the view from the water (big smiling surfers totally barreled). Like many things in life, it's all about the perspective of the person making the individual decision.
C36

by Tony360 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:38 pm

They paddle cuz the wave is good all the way up and down the point and not just from the top and lots of good spots to catch it along the way. And for the view.
Tony360

by Slappy » Wed May 17, 2017 11:11 pm

While it's surely a wave you could catch at any point you'd probably be dropping in on someone unless you go all the way back up though.
Slappy

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing