Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by gabrielb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:15 pm

Tide at 15ft Sat morning 6am. This tide is too high for Ambleside and WB.

But at 7am Sat morning is 14ft and going down which is a little better for WB and waves may start to break to have some ride. I prefer 13ft (as Dave mentioned) on the safe side, just wait 1/2 hour and assess.

In my mind: If on Sat at 6:45am hb (website) is 0.6m then I'd go (my drive is 10 minutes). I expect downgrade at the last minute, same as the last 5+ NW forecasts (I am with Richi on the skunkage galore on NW).

But I don't know everything about it, it's just my personal view. Hope that info helps if feeling like SUPing and Acadia does not have wind in the morning.

I'd keep an eye on Friday late afternoon and Sat morning, 0.6m@hb is my limit, but If I need the exercise I would go with 0.5m. SUP is good with 0.5m if you like small waves. Don't expect much, I am still waiting for 1.1 readings, like it used to be.
gabrielb

by Michael » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanks guys, if I don't get to sail Friday this will be my backup plan. I might even check out Point Roberts first. My few SUP sessions in Maui brought back the stoke, I had forgotten how much fun it was! Check out the break in front of my condo in Maalaea. Some small south swell came in for a few days and it was great until the wind came up, it was off shore and gusting about 20 knots. This wave is small, about waist high, but super fast and the reef is really shallow. I had one good day on a Starboard 9' x 30" and another on my inflatable 10' x 31". I also got a day at The Cove with my kids and one at 1000 peaks.
Attachments
MaalaeaBreak.jpg
MaalaeaBreak.jpg (228.05 KiB) Viewed 10186 times
Michael

by gabrielb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:57 pm

you'll have those kind of waves here. If I can stand up on it, a small wave, SUP's can have a better time than I do:

@ pebble ambleside, small surf:
Last edited by gabrielb on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gabrielb

by Michael » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:04 pm

gabrielb wrote:you'll have those kind of waves here. If I can stand up on it, a small wave, SUP's can have a better time than I do:

@ pebble ambleside, small surf:
DSC_9179.JPG

Looks like fun!
Michael

by Uluwatu69 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:09 pm

Hey boys and gals.

Hope it's gonna work out for you this Friday. Unfortunately I'll,be in northern BC until late, but I might be able to check what's going on at departure by 1630 at WB. It might be a bit early but who knows.
For me my best bet will be early Sat, and will probably give a try at Acadia with my SUP unless WB works... Won't be able to wait for the tide before I get back to work so I'll see.

Let's just that Neptune and Zephyrus will be nice to us
;-)
Uluwatu69

by C36 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:11 pm

gabrielb wrote:you'll have those kind of waves here. If I can stand up on it, a small wave, SUP's can have a better time than I do...

Your assuming we can stand up on our SUP's! :lol: :D ;)

gabrielb wrote:...I'd keep an eye on Friday late afternoon and Sat morning, 0.6m@hb is my limit, but If I need the exercise I would go with 0.5m. SUP is good with 0.5m if you like small waves. Don't expect much, I am still waiting for 1.1 readings, like it used to be.

Michael wrote:Thanks guys, if I don't get to sail Friday this will be my backup plan. I might even check out Point Roberts first. My few SUP sessions in Maui brought back the stoke, I had forgotten how much fun it was! Check out the break in front of my condo in Maalaea. Some small south swell came in for a few days and it was great until the wind came up, it was off shore and gusting about 20 knots. This wave is small, about waist high, but super fast and the reef is really shallow. I had one good day on a Starboard 9' x 30" and another on my inflatable 10' x 31". I also got a day at The Cove with my kids and one at 1000 peaks.

Glad you got some fun SUP sessions in Maui! :D
I have only tried to wave-SUP a couple of times at Point Roberts (very small sample size), but from what I have seen of the waves at WB its a much easier break. Even on 0.5 they are very workable for SUP and yield a decent length ride. I had pretty much given up on wave-SUP in the Lower Mainland after coming back from second trip to Tofino last Aug :oops: until riding at WB. It's a fun wave (it has the feel of ground swell - except for the spacing). I still need lots of practice, so its perfect for me. A few shots here M if you missed them while you were away.
C36

by Richi » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:42 pm

gabrielb wrote: I expect downgrade at the last minute, same as the last 5+ NW forecasts (I am with Richi on the skunkage galore on NW).

This little girl is responsible for the disappearance of our forecasted storms. If your down at WB at 6:00 am one day and there is no wind or waves, and you happen to see this little girl dancing around the beach, destroy her she is the Wind reaper.
Attachments
XKVmQ4G.jpg
XKVmQ4G.jpg (292.75 KiB) Viewed 10141 times
Richi

by Michael » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:50 pm

Richi wrote:
gabrielb wrote: I expect downgrade at the last minute, same as the last 5+ NW forecasts (I am with Richi on the skunkage galore on NW).

This little girl is responsible for the disappearance of our forecasted storms. If your down at WB at 6:00 am one day and there is no wind or waves, and you happen to see this little girl dancing around the beach, destroy her she is the Wind reaper.

I've seen her sister around Boundary Bay as well
Attachments
the-ring-o.gif
the-ring-o.gif (1.39 MiB) Viewed 10137 times
Michael

by Uluwatu69 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:23 pm

Let's hope for the best and join Wilbur...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.9 KiB) Viewed 10126 times
Uluwatu69

by gabrielb » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:36 am

fyi: it's a windsurfing/kite day today, on the surfing side of things today (5pm-dusk):

I expect Wreck Beach to be windy, HB on the high side (0.9+meters), at high tide 14ft I am expecting a sweet left break at the UBC spit (walk 200 meters to the right of the stairs), hope to remember where those damn rocks are located at that tide.
gabrielb

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing