Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by gabrielb » Mon May 06, 2019 9:20 am

yesterday's max 0.9mHB

today's max 1mHB
waves.JPG
waves.JPG (41.33 KiB) Viewed 19179 times

tomorrow's forecast is 20% higher than today's, expecting 1.1mHB... it may last until 11am.
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Tue May 14, 2019 11:16 am

td.JPG
td.JPG (40 KiB) Viewed 19111 times

what else is on ...

gabrielb

by keeldude » Tue May 14, 2019 11:45 am

World surf league contest at Keramas, Bali, Indonesia:

https://www.worldsurfleague.com/

My guess is they won't resume til the swell picks up on Saturday
keeldude

by C36 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Session 1 – SUP – Long Beach (2019 May 17)

Rise and shine. Surprise blue bird sky, light crowds and some south swell made for a fun warm up session. Got cut short by morning after late night arrival registration at Green Point (gate house doesn’t open until 10 am now). Thanks to Tsawwassen for the GoPro (all water shots).

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Session 2 – windsurf – Long Beach (2019 May 17)

Rejected. SE wind teased, but strong current, side-on wind, and low tide walls of foam made for lots of rejections and a few LONG swims. Jan said one clearing set (that cleared me out) was logo high. Still nice to try and get in some ground swell practice.

Slideshow

Session 3 – SUP – Cox Bay (2019 May 18)

Bombs. Rain stopped in the night and sun had returned. Long Beach was rolly and confuse, Rosie and South Chesterman had four rows of whitewater (big sets were breaking a long way out on the low tide), North Chesterman was flat, Cox Bay was clean and was offering up variety. Jan and I spent the morning here and just about had one party wave. Saw Jan connect with a few multi-hit rides (even though he was wishing he’d brought the long board instead of his shortboard). There were a few bombs rolling through mid to north beach. Caught a few of the smaller bombs mid-beach. Better than expected, much better.
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Tue May 21, 2019 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by gabrielb » Sat May 18, 2019 11:04 pm

Nice surf, peeling left. You seem to be in good company, nieces ;)

NW 8-11am Tuesday. WB. Likely.
gabrielb

by Michael » Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am

Hey Dave, glad you got to use the gopro. :D Looks like you scored a few nice days, I can't wait to get back out there. Thanks for the pics.
Michael

by C36 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:17 am

Session 4 – SUP – Chesterman – North and South (2019 May 19)

Mini to Maxi. After a frustrating afternoon of wave shopping (stirred up conditions everywhere) yesterday afternoon, I started the day with a hedge – small wave SUP at North Chesterman. Then walked over to South Chesterman just as a marching band of south swell cleared out the cove. Then the swell spread out on the rising tide. Came in to text the others (it was that good). More than a few solid waves rolled through. Jan and David joined in. Super fun swell angle that let you ride them down the beach. Jake mentioned he saw me catch a few solid waves.

Slideshow

Session 5 – windsurf – South Chesterman (2019 May 19)

Surprise. I didn’t think there was going to be any way I was going to get parking again, but decided to head off to the bakery and ice cream and I got my spot back! Wind had filled in and slog n’ ride was on offer. Wind backed after some bobbling and then filled in for ‘dinner’ and Tony joined in making it four. Super fun. Even better when the surfers thinned out. Jesse mentioned wave quality and Matt seemed to be enjoying his first SUP-sail session on the stubby. Thanks to Jan for shooting some pictures! This session was the Ice cream on the cake! Dinner beach side grill at the Pacific Sands Resort.

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Wed May 22, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by C36 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:59 pm

Session 4 – SUP – North Chesterman – GoPro water shots (2019 May 19)

Slideshow

Session 6 – SUP – Long Beach (2019 May 20)

Demo. Surfed Fanatic Stubby (120 litre x 8’6” x 29.5”) and a traditional shaped Fanatic AllWave (120 litre x 8’4” x 32”) head-to-head in the same conditions (same beach, same day, same swell, same tide). Both Fanatics were surfed with their stock tri fin set-ups. I had also previously surfed a Starboard HyperNut (106 litre x 7’4” x 30”) and will offer some comparisons to it as well.

Swell was bigger and shore break poundier than it looked from the parking lot. The west swell was fairly tightly spaced and ranged in size from small to XL, which made both getting out and wave selection challenging. Thanks to Matt for the Stubby demo.

Fanatic Stubby 120 compared to Fanatic AllWave 120

The two Fanatics are more similar than different. This is a little surprising as even with similar volume the Stubby is 2” longer, 2.5” narrower, has more area in the nose and tail, and has more parallel rails. That leaves the differences listed below as shades on a theme rather than stark differences.

Similarities
  • Agile for large boards
  • SUP sail well (I didn’t SUP sail the Stubby but saw Matt SUP sail it the day before)
  • Both tend to push the water more than narrower boards like our ProWave (119 litres x 8’10” x 29.5”)

Better
  • Dropped in easier
  • Quicker rail to rail

Worse
  • Seemed to push more than glide
  • Harder to paddle out against the white water
  • More prone to ‘log roll’ (still stable)
  • Tail is a little ‘corky’ (harder to set rail for tight turn)

Fanatic Stubby 120 compared to HyperNut 106

The difference between the HyperNut and the two Fanatics is greater than difference between the two Fanatics.

Better
  • Tracking on the way out
  • Less energy required to paddle out and position
  • User friendly (jump on and go)

Worse
  • Not as loose on the wave

Slideshow
C36

by gabrielb » Tue May 21, 2019 10:33 am

I probably had my longest ride in North Chesterman beach, like 300+ meters, peeling left, waist high ... it just kept going and going and going (3 years ago). North Chesterman is a better wave to have fun. Great shots of you guys windsurfing.

South Chesterman, close to rocks, not so good... :?
eh.jpg
eh.jpg (21.32 KiB) Viewed 18779 times
Last edited by gabrielb on Tue May 21, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gabrielb

by Craig » Tue May 21, 2019 2:22 pm

I was surfing on the south end of chestermans and walked up to watch you guys catch some waves. Will have to bring some gear next time. It looked really fun!
Craig

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing