Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SUP,Surf

When there's absolutely no wind

by gabrielb » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:47 am

The Scary Reason This Vancouver Beach Town Has Only One Resident ...

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/smar ... ailsignout

"
A few years ago, the beachside town of Jordan River was identified as one of the most earthquake-prone (and, therefore, most flood-prone) areas in Canada. The hamlet lies below a diversion dam that's likely to fail in the event of high-magnitude seismic activity.

"It was built in the wrong location, knowing what we know now," said Ted Olynyk, a spokesperson for BC Hydro, which owns the dam. "There's no other dam built so close to such a large earthquake area."

It's feared that the dam may break without warning and the cost will be human lives. In a move to ensure safety, the electric services company bought 10 of the community's remaining 11 homes. But Hugh Pite, 72, is the sole remaining resident who refused to give up his cottage. "
gabrielb

by keeldude » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:19 am

Sisters and ballenas lights up 23/18kn... hoping for some action this afternoon
keeldude

by Michael » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:17 am

Nico @ Kalama Beach Park. Fun day with the kids.
Attachments
Nico_SurfingKalama.jpg
Nico_SurfingKalama.jpg (430.43 KiB) Viewed 14564 times
Michael

by ShonanDB » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:00 am

Michael wrote:Nico @ Kalama Beach Park. Fun day with the kids.

Great pic Michael! I showed it to my daughter and she asked when can we go...?
ShonanDB

by C36 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:39 pm

GO Nico GO!!! 8-) :D
C36

by george » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Awesome to see the youngins surfing! Moar pictures please. Even with the longboard, I see she snagged that green puppy very early...strong swimmer perhaps? Will she become a regular visitor to GB with the SE's? Great to see!
george

by Michael » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:19 am

george wrote:Awesome to see the youngins surfing! Moar pictures please. Even with the longboard, I see she snagged that green puppy very early...strong swimmer perhaps? Will she become a regular visitor to GB with the SE's? Great to see!
Thanks George, Dave and Darrel! She loved it, it was her first lesson and the instructor gets them going on the outside with a nice push and the waves just keep going like that, super easy. Don't think I can convince her to surf in the winter yet but Long Beach for sure this spring I hope.
Michael

by keeldude » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:19 pm

Wreck beach today 10-1245. HB steady at 0.8m, just touching 0.9m , but super high tide kept anything from breaking until about 10am, when the main sandbar started finally started working. surfed the outgoing tide all the way out to the far right buoy near the rocky spit until the low tide cut off the swell. surprisingly consistent, but the lack of local wind meant the waves did not exceed the 3ft (Canadian) range. No wind at the beach at all until 11ish made for some glassy rides on the 7' softop, and were mainly suitable for trimming a floaty log but occasionally there would be enough to make a couple small turns. would have been excellent SUP conditions, wind at the beach barely broke 5-7kn i would say, until I left at 1245 when I am quite sure I rode the last possible wave of the day.
keeldude

by gabrielb » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:32 pm

KD, that's great. It was hard to predict, but when I saw the 0.9m knew it would be good enough. 11ft tide was needed (10am).

By then it was hard to drop everything and drive. You got 3 sessions in the last couple of weeks. I'll try to join next time.

In a few weeks I'll be talking to myself (I hope Australia delivers for you). 8-)
gabrielb

by george » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:16 pm

GB. 5 surfers. Wind. Waves. Warm. No sharks seen or felt... though we know they are there somewhere. Few birds and seals.

Some great waves, nice rights by the jetty, lefts, and some big mofo's out by the markers.

My favorite day at GB, or locally. Good stuff. Great to hear all had fun in Bbay! Way to go get it.

Maybe some glass in the am, but that may be a bit greedy. :lol:
george

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing