Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Beginner AKA how can I stay out of the way and learn?

When there's absolutely no wind

by squared » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Hey,

I just started surfing, and I absolutely love it!!! However, it would be awesome to get out more locally than the island/Wa/Or to get more time and practice in. Seems there are some places to catch waves locally based on the threads here, but what would you all recommend (other than a long walk off a short pier! ;) )?

Thanks!

Edited to add: local to Vancouverish area
squared

by Faceplant » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:55 pm

I used to surf at Ambleside a lot of Dunderave in West van. I had a few buddies who would let me know when they saw whitecaps out past the Lions gate. IF it was white capping (i.e. windy) it was usually surf able. Not the best waves for learning. Usually super short rides, sometimes into shallow shore break with the odd log. It is rewarding even if you only catch a wave or two.
Check out dundrave web cam if it looks windy.
Faceplant

by squared » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:15 am

Ok, thanks for the tip! I'm hoping for winds then. I really want to get some time in, getting used to the water etc. As much as I love the island and all, the gas/ferry will add up quickly.
squared

by Slappy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:14 am

Wreck Beach has a few magic days per year, and a bunch of just surfable days.

You'll want tide below 4m or it's shorebreak, better surf above 2.5m but you can still surf low tide. Check Halibut Bank for NW above 0.6m, better if Sister's and Halibut Bank line up.

All the spots on the North Shore require exact tides and tidal ebb/flood so they are more of a pain to hit. They are also more fought after breaks with loads of people.

For south winds there are two spots, both in the USA on Point Roberts.

One is at Lighthouse Marine Park, when it's really windy people do the conveyor belt there and walk upwind then surf downwind. It's very tide ebb/flow dependant.

The other is the west jetty for the Point Roberts marina.

Both need 25+ knots at Saturna to work.
Slappy

by adam2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Good advice here from many. Most good surfers I have known in Vancouver didn't get good by learning on local wind swell breaks, they learned elsewhere in places with reliable conditions. It takes a long time to become a good surfer, especially if we're talking shortboards. Three days a year on closeout shorebreak at Ambleside and the rare Wreck Beach day are not going to get you progressing well. If i was young and looking to get into the sport i would get a holiday work visa and go to Australia for a year to surf every day, and then come back and surf WA and OR breaks as much as possible. I used to surf, but found its not worth it in Vancouver, especially when i can kite a few times a month.
adam2

by gabrielb » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:28 pm

We are going through a brief dry spell, given the NE bs of the last month's, they put out a halt on any SE spike.

If you can drop everything and head to WB/PR at a short notice then you'll get 40 sessions per year. If you can't you'll get 20 sessions per year.

Read the SUP thread. The problem is that local surf is very specific and tide dependent.

Only George and myself remain, Keelan is gone to Australia. You can easily learn at WB, PR is more wind but better waves, and loong rides :D .... George is the only guy that knows how good it can get.
Ambleside break is sadly gone, maybe twice per year there. WB you'll double the sessions. PR
gabrielb

by shadymorels » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:45 am

Hey now! I'm still here, just silently lurking at all times! LOL!
shadymorels

by squared » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:24 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I had replied but it seems to have not actually happened...

Unfortunately I'm not as young as I once was, so it'll be here where I do most learning so I can take it somewhere else. This also can happen when it's raining, of which my main deal is not so forgiving. I mostly just want to get out, learn something new, and end my long water hiatus. Thankfully I am fairly flexible with time, so I might actually be able to get some time in. Psyched!

I had a flick through the other threads, seems like if you're patient and available it's possible. Reality is, if I'm always waiting for something better or a trip I won't get out all that much, so I might as well go for it.

Thanks again, you've given me some hope!
squared

Return to SUP and Surfing