Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Need advice SUP surfing

When there's absolutely no wind

by roydpm » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Been SUP surfing in Hawaii, now hooked.
Looking to do so at home now in Vancouver.
Need advice on board type/size for surf here and locations... hoping Wreck
Thanks ^' 185lbs
roydpm

by Slappy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Well first of all you'll need to get used to the fact that our conditions are not Hawaii conditions. You do get a few days a year with no wind, glassy water, and decent swell but it's like 3-4 all year.

Usually you'll be in 10-20 knots of wind that matches the wave direction, so you'll do most of your paddling on your knees or prone.

On the plus side the wind makes catching waves super easy.

For WB you'll have more options if you have a board that can take a bit of abuse. I've washed up on the rocks a few times with my inflatable. Inflatables kind of suck though.

Aside from worrying about damage I'd say something like a Naish Nalu 10-6 would be best suited to WB, but I'd probably get something like a Starboard Hypernut because it'll work at WB and be more fun at Tofino.
Slappy

by roydpm » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:03 pm

Yeah I know this ain't Hawaii :(
How do you know when and where to surf? I'm open to surfing but prefer to paddle surf. I also have an inflatable that I surfed in Maui but preferred the rental hard boards. Going to invest in one and a wet suit. Thanks
roydpm

by Slappy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:40 am

Basically you look at the wind forecast.

For WB you want a NW wind lining up Sisters and Halibut Bank, at least 15 knots.
For PR you want a S wind at Saturna, at least 20 knots.

If you can surf it's a bit better for here, because usually you are out in the wind and paddling is easier prone.
Slappy

by Michael » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:06 am

roydpm wrote:Been SUP surfing in Hawaii, now hooked.
Looking to do so at home now in Vancouver.
Need advice on board type/size for surf here and locations... hoping Wreck
Thanks ^' 185lbs

What size of a SUP were you using in Hawaii? I also got hooked on SUP in Maui but it can be frustrating here. I have a 9'2" Fanatic Prowave but I find it challenging at Point Roberts, I haven't been to WB yet. However it was a great size for the coast for my first few years. Now I'm looking at getting a smaller one. I think you need to be careful not to go too small too soon as it can be very frustrating :evil: falling in all the time instead of catching waves. :D
Michael

by gabrielb » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:03 am

true. SUPing locally can be frustrating.

I find that in almost every surf session (80% of time) there is a 45min/1hour of no wind, it gets glassy and it's good for SUPing ... it means you have to seat and wait, as you see the wind calming down, it's your time.

Glassy clean sessions can be forecasted looking carefully at wind, when the epicenter of wind is farthest from beach.

Windsurfers have an advantage, in that they can windsurf and when wind dies they switch to SUP. Surfing in windy conditions is not a problem.
gabrielb

by roydpm » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:12 pm

Sounds like I need to invest in a board and stash the SUP for perfect conditions or travel :(
Michael, are you looking to sell your 9'6? Maybe that would be a good entry board for me here. Thanks guys. The itch is killing me, going to buy a wetsuit this weekend and then find a used surfboard and wait...
roydpm

by gabrielb » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Roy send me your email by private messaging.

I don't post surfing stuff anymore because of time. I'll include you in my email list when a session is near.

No surf for a while... but Saturday/Sunday something is brewing. If you are into surfing/SUP then you'll have fun.

Need 6/5, 7mm gloves, 5mm booties, board over 6'6''. Surf will be 4 times/month. There is space at WB/PR.
gabrielb

by Slappy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:30 pm

If you are going to SUP and you don't need to prone paddle it you can get away with much smaller gloves. I routinely use open palm gloves to SUP.

With the wind here though having the option to prone paddle your SUP is a good option to have.

I also wear 7mm booties in the winter and my feet still get cold at times.
Slappy

by keeldude » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:26 pm

I have to disagree that a SUP is less practical than a longboard/surfboard around here. It would be awesome to have both. Most of the time it is flat anyway until the wind events (maybe 50 events/yr have rideable waves for a couple hours, sometimes at night, and 5/7ths of them fall on weekdays) so a SUP would be useful on the typical calm sunny day for flat water paddling. Above 15kn, paddling the sup may not be as much fun, but you can always wait for the wind to drop and the waves to clean up (as well as become smaller). I would say about half of the events have wind <=15kn, especially at wreck in the wind shadow of the bluff. I will one day pick up a SUP, as there have been many local sessions where I wish I had a SUP instead. Pick up a beater longboard and a SUP from a friend exiting the sport ;). Realistically, however there is not much surf unless you head to the coast!
keeldude

Next

Return to SUP and Surfing