Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

JR this weekend

When there's absolutely no wind

by Jaybrown » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:39 am

Hey Slappy

Are you serious about that story? That actually happened to me at JR too. Maybe it was me your talking about...who is this friend you speak of? Seriously though it happened to me about 7 years ago. An older gal about 60 came out to inform me it was a surfers only wave. She actually put on a suit and paddled out to let me know. This was on a crap day too and there was no one else out there...just me. I refused to leave as I wasn't in anyone's way, wasn't going to run anyone over etc etc. She told me I should respect my elders then she paddled back in. I guess she was a retired logger with spare time on her hands ;).

Anyways, aside from that I haven't had any issues there but I don't SUP on the right hander. Too busy for my tastes anyways. I stay north of the river mouth or ride the left off the point. If I go to JR and it's tiny then I hit Sombrio and it's always bigger. I love JR though and being able to camp right at the break and watch the action. It's absolutely perfect! Lots of space and never gets too busy.
Jaybrown

by Slappy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:41 am

Yeah, it was probably you. I couldn't remember who told me that story, just that it was someone. I've heard of a bunch of other localism incidents there too though.

JR looks amazing when it's on, I've never actually surfed it though as it's always been flat while it's chest high at Sombrio 30 minutes down the road.

That was 20 years ago when I used to surf there though and we didn't really have much in the way of wave forecasting. I'm sure with today's forecasting you could get a few decent JR sessions a month if you were flexible.
Slappy

by gabrielb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:34 pm

SUP can surf he rolling wave, longboards after, short boards on the breaking wave.

SUPs can select any wave of their choosing, then longboarders, the scraps are for shortboarders.

Here is what SUPs and longboarders forget, sometimes you have to let good waves pass you by to make shortboarders happy down the line. I had cases where longboarders hog all waves ...shortboarders get upset and localism starts.
J, the 60 year old is now 70, she is probably SUPing that break by now.
gabrielb

by tweegster » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Those pics and video are awesome. I have never surfed JR proper, just the break straight out from the Bend in the road as you enter.

Had a bunch of good times at Sombrio back when friends were at u Vic.

I also have enjoyed staying in Port Renfrew. Neat to catch clean surf in fresh water, and the river current can make it easy to do laps .

Too bad about the ferry, is a magical place.
tweegster

by Faceplant » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:41 pm

I spent several years travelling to JR. First heard of it from an american while I was down in the Baja. Made it my quest to find it after I got back. Had some really awesome times out there. Spent xmas one year. Lots of camping right in the trees looking out at the water.
Clubbies didn't want to talk to anyone outside of their group. I always went there alone and never har any major problems. I'd get right in the lineup and knew that if I blew one takeoff then my chances of getting any set waves were gone for that day.
Passed up JR on one trip to go to Sombrio and paddle out in solid double overhead or more. Major beating, epic hold down and lucky to be alive. Went back to JR to see it was firing solid overhead. Rockpiles is my second favourite. Finally, even on busy busy days, if you are patient sometimes wind comes up, people get tired, conditions change and at mid day after everyone has had their fill and paddled back to the beach you go out to pick up windy scrap waves to have the wind go back off shore, waves coean up and score the most epic 90 minutes of your life. Can't wait to get back.
Faceplant

Previous

Return to SUP and Surfing