Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Recommend a beginner Surfboard

When there's absolutely no wind

by mjamero » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:53 pm

Skimming through Craigslist recently I noticed there seems to be quite a few surfboards at the moment. Must be the winter season.

What type and size of board should I keep my eyes open for? I'm 5'6, 138lbs. Surfed once.

My passion is windsurfing however, I would be open to a surfboard in my collection if the price was right and was a good size. No rush, but if I see a smoking deal it would be good to know what to look for.

I rented a surfboard in Tofino a couple years ago. After one lesson I was up and had a blast.
mjamero

by gabrielb » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:57 pm

all depends on your intentions.

For example:

WB has soft waves 80% , I would use a 9ft thin longboard then. 20% has a high and long ramp, I would use what I presently use, 6'8'' volume, mini-gun shape because it flies once planing. Point Roberts has a steeper wave, 6'8'' works better when it's not glassy and too windy. But a 6'' light surfboard on a steep 6ft wave is a much better feeling when not as windy.

A 5'11' (24 litre) is your advance surfboard. To get to that point you already have to be in shape, shoulder/back/core surfing core muscles are already there to help catch/ride the wave.

If I surf 5 days straight, I much prefer the 6ft surfboard, even for small waves as it responds quickly as the wave changes. When I had too many cookies and I want the ride not the effort so I get my 6'8''.

I still love the HIC 6'10' mini gun on any kind of wave (narrower, faster), just position yourself more in the center and enjoy the ride. If I were a beginner I would get a 6'10' mini gun, narrow, no volume surfboard ... you get into any wave faster, lots of speed with a shortboard feeling. I still like longboards when the wave breaks softly and it's a long ride.

2c.
gabrielb

by keeldude » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:41 pm

As your first board I would opt for a funboard 7'6" or longer, 2.5" or thicker, 20" or wider. Something with lots of volume to get that wave count up. A 7'-8' soft top is not a bad call for your first board either because even once you progress to a shortboard, they are very versatile and fun when the waves are not cranking.
keeldude

by mjamero » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. So how often can a beginner realistically surf locally? Or is it pretty much west coast only thing? If the conditions overlap at all I will choose windsurfing every time. :D

Is this board worth checking out?
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/spo/5929679599.html
mjamero

by letsflykites » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Someone posted that they logged 60 days surfing in 2016?
“Excitement is the more practical synonym for happiness, and it is precisely what you should strive to chase. It is the cure-all.”
― Timothy Ferriss, The 4-Hour Workweek
letsflykites

by gabrielb » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:17 am

7'4" looks good.
Locally will work, send me a private message with your email, I'll add you to my local surf email list. Yes, you can surf locally at WB & PR.
gabrielb

by bandito » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:55 am

In my past experience, a small surfboard is normally really hard for beginner and even intermediate to catch a wave , stay on the board standing without falling , and ride the wave. I would vote for over 7' for normal weight (155 to 180lb). I was a slow learner and wasted way too much waves wt a 6'8"
but its much easier to duck dive a small board under n incoming breaking set then a bigger board. I used to bail my 7'2" if overhead + and breaking, Man did my right legs get pull drag as im underwater holding on sea bottom.
I thought Gun boards were normally use on like double to quadruple overhead at my what use to be my favorite point brake spot Barra Nexpa in Mexico, They where not really design for doing round house in waves and such but to drop fast wt acceleration in waves as they are shape longueur and narrower .
Its seems thought that Gab is the great person to give advice and follow in surf on this site, I would follow is lead and advice above the rest. and he offer to tell you where and when.... most good greedy surfer wouldn't do that. a light person under 140lb can probably learn on a much smaller board then a tall 160lb one like me.
I wouldn't recommend soft board as they waste power of wave and don't respond to your input as well as a hard one . epoxy is much more durable then resin in general but little less absorbing of shocks,or use to be. I believe the board stringer is a big deal, I use to have a board from Puertorico indestructible wt a thick stringer, nice. I bought a new one and it broken in half 2 times, stringer was crap wood too thin, piss me off .
I basically quite surfing in 2003 when a surfer let me try is kite on the beach, I was Hook on the Power! plus I hated they were like 40 people waiting for a set of 7 waves and getting snake at, not able to catch anything unless I would dare to drop on someone,wich I didn't. too many surfers for a point brake, no wonder so call locals slash tires , snake you on the water, get feisty.....
Surfing is the real stuff and harder sport I learned, way more rewarding to wait for a set of waves as sun start go down and riding the Power of the Sea only, not using winds and sail to cheat out . I may get a 9' sup and pissoff the short n long boarder at South Shesterman one of these days lol n don't forget to Yellow out you wet suit when its get cold ! mmm, that feel good...
bandito

by Faceplant » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:47 am

Lot's of opinions. At 5'6 and 138 lbs you can use a much smaller board. If you are just looking to catch waves then your best bet is volume. A short board (like a fish) that is wide and thick will get you into as many if not more waves than a 7'6 gun.
I've surfed locally many times, and several seasons on the west coast. I'm 6'4 and 190. The only board I own now is 6'2 that is wide and has a big rounded pin tail. Catches waves easy, duck dives easy. Once waves exceed overhead, it's too small of a board.
SO, if you see yourself going and playing in head high and under, I'd go for a short fun board with lots of width and volume.
If you are looking to go to west coast more, and charge bigger waves then something in the 6'6-7'6 would be good and still easy enough to duck dive.
A long board, will be good for all conditions, but harder to transport, easy to ding.
Faceplant

by bandito » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:33 pm

at 140lb , duckdiving a 7'6" is not easy after n hour in cold surf. I try turtlling (is that a word) long boards before , not with great success on breaking waves. Bailout the board n dive under worked better, but tuff on leg n boards, still I do that on big surf. man, my feet where frozen HARD last time I hit Jordan river in winter, have great booties n a working car heather, mine was broken n booties holy!
bandito

by gabrielb » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:46 pm

6/5 wetsuits, the 6mm is in legs, that may help you keep warm. 6/5 is 1-10 degrees, no issues, 7mm gloves, 5-7mm booties.

Duck diving, I find it funny most duck diving videos, in perfect conditions and a clean wave , they go "ok, let's place your leg here, keep your form like a princess", etc ...laughable. I plough through whitewater when there is no time to duck dive and lose forward momentum. That's why a narrow 7' minigun (with no volume) will allow you to duck dive if needed, get waves that a normal shortboard would not catch.

http://www.ericarakawasurfboards.com/mr-200.html
from page: "Had a few sessions on my 6'10 MR200. Had it out in double-overhead, powerful surf. The board is amazing. Super drivey and reliable in high-speed turns on powerful waves. Definitely in the top 5 best boards I've ever owned. And I've owned dozens."
3150082_orig.jpg
3150082_orig.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 20424 times
gabrielb

Return to SUP and Surfing