Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Surfing / SUPing next weekend

When there's absolutely no wind

by Jaybrowner » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about heading to the coast for next weekend (Friday Jan 24-26) to ride some swell. The forecast is looking great..even sunny! I'm not sure whether it will be Jordan River/Sombrio (on Van Isle) or Cresent Beach (on Olympic Peninsula). It all depends on the swell direction. Either spot you are camping steps away from the surfing.

I'll be taking my VW Westfalia so I'll have room for 1 or 2 more with boards. We'd split the cost of gas and the ferry. I'll also have a spare SUP if anyone is interested in trying it out in the waves...which btw is super fun and relatively easy compared to surfing. I'll be camping in my van with my pooch, so unless you're a hot girl you'll have to bring your own tent. :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Jaybrowner

by C36 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:49 am

JB: What size are your SUP's? I've just ordered one for myself and am curious what your using. Thanks
Last edited by C36 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Cam18 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:07 pm

how long does it take to get to crescent beach? do you think it will go off on tues/ wed?
Cam18

by Richi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks for the heads up Jay, will follow the weather this week and see if I can get out this weekend.
Richi

by Jaybrowner » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Ah crap! I'm cancelling for this weekend...the forecast has downgraded and the swell is too small now. Time to go fly fish'n.

To answer your questions:

C36...I have a Naish Mana 9'5" which is 170L (good all round board for small to med surf)
and I also have a C4 Subvector 9'6" which is 130L (good for glassy med to large waves). What size board did you order Dave?

Cam18...Crescent Beach is about a 5 hour trip but it really depends on border line ups and how well you time the ferry crossing from Coupeville to Port Townsend. It's a beauty beach though...never crowded and pretty good waves. Because it is on the inside of the Olympic Peninsula it needs a LARGE west or med to large NW swell to happen. For Tues/Weds there is too much south in the swell forecast. Your best bet would be Sombrio or Jordan River. Or, Westport, Washington.
Jaybrowner

by Brian C » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:15 pm

Was desperate for some kind of ToW so I took the kayak out at Ambelside Sunday morning. Beautiful day for a paddle around the Capilano estuary and along the W. Van shoreline. I wondered where the SUP crowd was.
First time I've ever paddled in January, but it was a nice warm morning and much better than sitting at home complaining about no wind and no new snow! Next weekend maybe I'll drag out the mountain bike.
Brian C

by Jaybrowner » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:30 am

Right on Brian! I agree. There's always something to do on the water. I went for a paddle (SUP) on the Fraser River on Sunday morning. Paddled down the river to my new favorite breakfast spot...Tugboat Annies :). :D
Jaybrowner

by C36 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Jaybrowner wrote:C36...I have a Naish Mana 9'5" which is 170L (good all round board for small to med surf)
and I also have a C4 Subvector 9'6" which is 130L (good for glassy med to large waves). What size board did you order Dave?

Thanks Jay. I went slightly shorter and mid-point of your two on volume. 8'11" x 31" and 150 L as shown here:
http://www.fanatic-sup.com/content/products/sup/allwave/index_eng.html
Hope it works for me and the other 'kids'! ;)
Last edited by C36 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by Brian C » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:05 pm

Nice new toy Dave! Looks like a versatile wave paddling size AND a good light wind sailing toy for the family. Did you see the pics on BWD this fall of one guy sailing his SUP at Tofino in the waves? - another thing to aspire to. Now that you and Richi have the same boards you may be in for some friendly competition.
I like the look and features of that board; where did you buy it from?
Brian C

by C36 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Brian C wrote:...Did you see the pics on BWD this fall of one guy sailing his SUP at Tofino in the waves? - another thing to aspire to.

The pictures you saw may have been of DaveM - to my understanding he is using a 9'5" Starboard wide point (9'5" and 155 L). I had the pleasure two years ago of watching Morewind sail his 10'2" x 30" SUP at Cape Sabastian and it looked like a LOT of fun in the light breeze. 8-)

I can make my 110 work in light air, but he was out in the really light breeze and catching really nice rides with a medium sized sail (maybe sub-5.0 from memory). :shock: ;)

Sent you a PM on the purchase.
C36

Next

Return to SUP and Surfing