Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Whidbey Island Monday

When there's absolutely no wind

by Chris Klohn » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:40 pm

Great West Beach vid from March 31st, 2016.........

https://vimeo.com/161143009
Last edited by Chris Klohn on Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:55 pm

13 Consecutive hours of 20-30+mph winds, chest to head high breaking waves and still going :shock: Looking forward to hearing the reports from the lucky few that could chase wind today with a clear schedule :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
Looooong Day
image.jpeg (60.35 KiB) Viewed 10631 times
Chris Klohn

by george » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:17 pm

Yeah Chris, bedtime at 0300 because of work, so a wee bit behind. Also when I went to bed, it hadn't really picked up, and some models, like BWD, weren't predicting cranking wind through the strait.
Anyway, when I saw your posts, and Keeldude's Hein Bank stats, decided to go.
There were early guys, just getting off the water after the early session, 8-10m kites, said it was good with the occasional lulls. Cool though, 10°C, and when I got there at 1, there was wind and waves, a bit choppy. I went out on 8m, and surfboard. Two others out then. About 3pm, it lulled, and they left, leaving me all alone with the beachcomber's.
I put up a 10m, and it was great, but I started to get depower creep, and the next thing I knew, it was cranking!
Waves growing steadily, and getting smoother, seemingly a bit out of proportion to the wind...I went back to the 8m, and besides a waterbird, was solo from them on, too.
I think the falling tide, and maybe the waves from the west started arriving, because there were now huge waves, like couldn't see above them, big smooth troughs, and on a depowered 8m...was not too bad, I have to say!
I came in around 5 as was getting a bit spooky, by myself with slowly rising wind and waves, and also getting a bit cool and wanted to check out some surf. Was a great afternoon of kiting though.
Looked at a few beach breaks, the nicest was Ebey park, but wasn't compelling enough to grind my shoulders, as surfed 5x last week, and going again in a few days. Having said that, there was some nice surf, with the conditions as they were.
So that's it. Looking forward to some more W winds!
Cheers.
George
george

by Chris Klohn » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:38 pm

Thanks for the post George! Glad you scored a great session with some nice waves too. About 1km south of where Ebey road comes out is the cleanest break I've seen on Whidbey for surfing. It'll pick up groundswell over 15 seconds with the right direction and size down JDFS too.

Take it easy,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by C36 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Thanks for the Trip Report (TR) George! Appreciated, as always. :D

Personally I thought that was a pretty bold move heading down there for the afternoon, but glad to read you were rewarded for your efforts. 8-)
C36

by Chris Klohn » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:26 pm

C36 wrote:Thanks for the Trip Report (TR) George! Appreciated, as always. :D

Personally I thought that was a pretty bold move heading down there for the afternoon, but glad to read you were rewarded for your efforts. 8-)

Agreed C36, it was always 90% decided the night before on solid forecasts and then actuals and pressure charts early the next morning to end up on the road by 7:30am at the latest. Leaving past noon on a weakening forecast was definitely gutsy George. Glad the wind actually ramped up and delivered overhead surf and 8m conditions for you. The forecast was upgraded three times throughout the day. You've got some horshoes George. Maybe throw Mike one or two............he's on a 4/4 skunk run :x
Chris Klohn

Previous

Return to SUP and Surfing