Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

New Break

When there's absolutely no wind

by Chris Klohn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:11 pm

Hey Guys,

Hearing about today's low tide and long walk at Centennial just reminded me of a great SE-S low tide break I sailed a half dozen times 20 years ago. It's located on the north side of the ferry terminal about 1/3 of the way to Roberts Bank.

You would park your car at the last pullout on the north side and walk down the beach 200 meters or so then paddle out about 200 meters. The winds are offshore so the water is dead flat on the paddle out. At the break the winds are side shore on southerlies and side off on south easterlies.

It works on both SE and S winds. It's better if the winds have been blowing for a couple hours to build up a little swell size. Anything over 15 knots will work, the more the better. You need a flooding tide starting from under 3 meters. The lower the tide when it turns and starts flooding the better.

The swell in the Strait will wrap about 40 degrees as it rounds the Ferry Terminal. The flooding tide helps pull the swell into the edge of the bay onto the sandbar. The sandbar drops off towards Roberts Bank into deeper water giving you a nice channel to paddle back out in.

They dredge out around Roberts Bank and the Ferry Terminal for the big boats. However, that entire bay is a super shallow mud flat with almost no water to the east on low tide. You are surfing on the western edge of that shallow flat where it's exposed to the wrapping swell from the Strait.

Windsurfing was always a little sketchy as you had to sail dead offshore to get out to the break. If the winds died you would drift over to Roberts Bank. If they stayed strong you'd have to point 500 meters upwind to the causeway at the end of the session..........I wasn't great at going upwind :D

On a SUP or surfboard it would be a super easy paddle out and back. The water is flat calm in 40 knots as the break is only about 300 meters offshore. The current pushes into the bay at about 1-1.5 knots on a flood tide. The wave is an honest, peeling DTL left in both SE and S winds with a nice deep channel to paddle back out. The wind holds the faces up nicely and they were always super clean. I was able to stand up in waist deep water on the sandbar the few times I sailed there.

Definitely worth a drive out to the Ferry Terminal when the tide has gone way out, is starting to flood and there's 15+ knots of SE-S wind. It's also a mellow alternative to paddling out in 40 knots and onshore conditions.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by gabrielb » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:33 pm

Chris,
Because I never windsurfed terminal, I am completely out in the dark on this one.

Would you post the exact location of this break by posting the Google map location?a snapshot.

Never seen so much wind,I just could not place my board on the ground, it would fly off, wind was SE, S, SW, W all at once after crossing customs, it was just cranking, I just wanted to go home, small branches all over streets. There was not much wind in Vancouver.
gabrielb

by Brad R » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:44 pm

I think I know the spot from sailing there Chris. Can you drop a pin on Google maps and post?
Brad R

by Chris Klohn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:07 pm

GB, Brad no sweat. Just heading out for a flight. I'll send a pic when I get back in a few hours.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:29 pm

No problem Guys. Don't laugh at the Kindergarten drawing :D

Purple = Wind Direction
White = Swell Direction
Red Arrow = Current Direction On A Flooding Tide
Thin Red Line = Shallow Water
Thin Blue Line = Deep Water
Heavy Red Line = Dropoff
Green Oval = Sandbar
Green Line = Walk / Paddle Path

As I mentioned, the water is glassy in 40 knots offshore with just ripples on the surface. You could even walk down the beach below the rocks on super low tide and then just paddle straight downwind 300 meters. Super nice left on the right tide. A 0.5-2.5 meter low into a flood tide with 25+ knots of SE-S is the ticket. This used to be a "secret" wave sailing spot but the novelty of taking cab rides from Roberts Bank to the Ferry Terminal when the wind died got old fast. For surf / SUP it's a whole different ball game :D

Cheers,

Chris
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (353.74 KiB) Viewed 19426 times
Chris Klohn

by george » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 am

Awesome Chris, thanks for the spot! Sounds great. Will check it out next SE/low tide.
Just curious though...was the water oily at all, or were there peanuts floating about...?
Haha, cheers.
George
george

by Chris Klohn » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:35 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No sunscreen required for the next decade!
Chris Klohn

by gabrielb » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:27 am

there is a good distance, sand/silt bank should still be there...
SSE.JPG
SSE.JPG (58.72 KiB) Viewed 19383 times
gabrielb

by Chris Klohn » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:23 am

gabrielb wrote:there is a good distance, sand/silt bank should still be there...
SSE.JPG

You'll like it GB for sure. It's just very tide dependant so tough to get everything to line up. However, there seems to be several days per year with lots of wind and no water :D
Chris Klohn

by Brad R » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:31 am

Thanks for the great info!

Your drawing game strong!

I'll add this spot to my surfari list!
Brad R

Next

Return to SUP and Surfing