Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

New Break

When there's absolutely no wind

by Bryanl » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:36 pm

I have sailed here a few times - nice smooth wave.
On a westerly.
What this is I think is a gravel bank built by BC Ferries & Roberts Bank to keep their areas from silting in.The bank makes the water flow fast by the 2 dock areas on ea side of the bay.
There are 2 piles driven into the bank where it begins.
Takes a little work to get there. I felt safe on a rising tide. On a falling tide the water really moves along the Ferry Terminal.
Bryanl

by Chris Klohn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Thanks for the info Brian! You've got more time on the north side of that causeway than most I'd say. I totally agree with you on the current during an ebb tide. I can remember drifting in a canoe at a couple of knots with the tide going out over that bank. We had to paddle to the shore then fight it back to the beach. A flooding tide doesn't have the current speed though and pulls you into the bay. Interesting about the gravel bank and the silt..........makes sense. It's really solid walking on the bottom and not mucky at all compared to the bay. Probably why it's held up over the decades without shifting. Thanks again Brian and take it easy.

Chris
Chris Klohn

by tweegster » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:54 pm

I could see the bank, I rode the outgoing tide on my SUP, buzz bombed for salmon, then rode the incoming tide.

FYI there is lots of coal on the surface of the water.
tweegster

by Jaybrown » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:27 am

Hmmm. I bet this break would have been awesome early this morning! Too bad the tide is too high now (9:30 am). Has anyone hit this break lately? It sounds amazing..especially for a goofy footer!
Jaybrown

Previous

Return to SUP and Surfing