Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday surf session

When there's absolutely no wind

by Brad R » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Hey Gabriel, I'll check in tomorrow morning after 9 and see what the actuals are. I wouldn't mind trying Point Roberts either. If it looks like a good setup for 1001 steps in the afternoon maybe I'll do a double dip. I live pretty close to 1001 and have had some nasty bails on slippery boulders and lost some fins to them too. When it's really cranking SSE or S the swell wraps around the point and you can surf in the wind shadow which is nice. When the waves get big enough you can stay far enough out that boulders are a non issue. Mid to high tide seems to work best. Sounds like you located it okay but I can drop a pin still if you like. Just turn off 128th before it turns into ocean view drive. The steps are at the end of the first lane . Lots of parking on 14th. If the wind and tide are more favorable for windsurfing you may see me sailing there unless I go to white Rock beach.

There's also a nice wave that happens adjacent to the white Rock pier on SW to NW but I typically windsurf there only
Brad R

by Solardave » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:39 pm

I'm all packed and ready. I'll be checking this forum early and I'll meet you at PR at 9 or earlier. If it's going to be short then I need to be there in time to get going before it's on. It takes me about 45 minutes to get there.
See you tomorrow.
Solardave

by gabrielb » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Dave.
I'll arrive to PR at 945am.

You are long boarding. Please hug the jetty, 30 meters west from it , cleaner sets for long boarding there, and wait for sets. Don't surf where you were last time as there will be a current and wind.

It ll be fun.

Brad, Thx.
gabrielb

by Brad R » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Any info on where to park and where to aim at lining up? 6'6" swallow tail and am intermediate skill...

And has anyone tried the submerged rock outcropping at lily point marine reserve at the SE end of point Roberts? It's visible on Google satellite images
Brad R

by AdrienGrelon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:00 pm

Hey Gabriel, you think it's gonna be a good Gabriel's Beach day for windsurfing? My window is ideally dawn - 10am. After that I have a twin bro to entertain..
AdrienGrelon

by keeldude » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:31 am

Lily point is definitely surfable on the same swells. Surfed there twice. When its on the rock outcrop is very rippy and double-uppy, but waves do wrap around the inside closer to the wood pilings. Rocky. Only worth it for the adventurous craving a surf safari, go on a strong south during high tides when the other two PR spots are unappetizing. Long walk, and remote so bring a friend. For Gabriel's beach aka ghost house, coming from lighthouse park, take the first right and about 5-10 houses down there is a dirt/gravel driveway down to the beach on your right. This may be private property, YMMV. SE already turned on 10-15kn, and forecast definitely hints at a good SW turning early afternoon.
keeldude

by C36 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:59 am

AdrienGrelon wrote:Hey Gabriel, you think it's gonna be a good Gabriel's Beach day for windsurfing? My window is ideally dawn - 10am. After that I have a twin bro to entertain..

Locust (TJ's zoom) looks like a 10 am power hour, combined with weak actuals, mean I'm likely headed for CNL or GB to catch the morning SE during to rotation. Final decision to be made in transit. Afternoon hoping for WREB or 1001 steps. With a little luck everyone may get a session in today! :D ;)

Edit: path of first front in the series is headed inland over the north end of the island (good: should trigger SE). Wind on west side of island has already begun to switch W.
C36

by Mike » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:49 am

C36 wrote:Locust (TJ's zoom) looks like a 10 am power hour, combined with weak actuals, mean I'm likely headed for CNL or GB to catch the morning SE during to rotation. Final decision to be made in transit. Afternoon hoping for WREB or 1001 steps. With a little luck everyone may get a session in today! :D ;)

Edit: path of first front in the series is headed inland over the north end of the island (good: should trigger SE). Wind on west side of island has already begun to switch W.

Good call Dave. Today's challenge seems to be the wind direction change (beware of SW). Thinking I'll start at Centennial aiming for in advance of direction change to SE (hope it finds that spot and stays there for a bit...). Will take passport to keep options. Presently 21g25 ENE at Centennial (with rain probably).
Mike

by gabrielb » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:56 am

Ene this morning. Forecast adjusting to it, now 20-30 knots at 10a.
Locust at 730am under 10 knot (should be 15-20) ene too strong trashing all forecast with it and left with East, of course it will spike at 10 am, but surf at PR will be weak by then as it's not building SE.
gabrielb

by keeldude » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:05 am

Saturna SE 23G30.. sandy point shores turning ESE too. Soon...
keeldude

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing