Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Huntington Beach Surf Report

When there's absolutely no wind

by Slappy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:23 pm

Dawn patrol all week while the family sleeps in. Pretty flat with occasional waist high single waves and rare chest high sets.

High tide in the mornings has flooded most breaks. Best thing I've found is the jetty between Huntington and Bolsa Chica. It gets crowded though with a mix of short boarders riding the point beach break and long boarders farther out with the occasional other SUP. A couple amazing surfers, one on the beach break riding an Oddysea soft top and another long boarder that can pick up the smallest bump of a wave and then hang 10 and do 180s.

The best part though is just being able to go out every morning and surf. Sunny and warm, 2mm pants and an Exoskin top because it's a bit chiily at 7 AM, by 10:00 just board shorts is fine for SUP.

Had 2 separate pods of dolphins come buy to play in the waves with us. Both pods swam within 4 feet of me. One dolphin was massive, easily as big as my 10 ft board.

Going to try out HB pier tomorrow morning as it was looking really good the other day.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 6966 times
Slappy

by gabrielb » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:14 am

Don't bring wallet/money to hb. People check surfers from distance, only time I brought money to hb, they went through my bag. Hag great rides with the 35litre board I have today locally, even crashed with my brother and snapped a board in 2. Great surfers there, no need to check any forecast, have fun.
gabrielb

by Slappy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Got my butt kicked at HB this morning. Head high sets were a bit too steep for me to drop on my 10 ft board. Then inside the beach break and cross wash was deadly.

Left my stuff in the gun safe in my van and it was fine.
Slappy

by Faceplant » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:18 pm

I've seen some wicked pictures of the HB shore break. Looks like it gets really hollow with sand barrels!
Faceplant

by gabrielb » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:04 pm

steep drop, quick turns to move ahead of wave, shortboard for sure. Not a forgiving wave, int/advanced wave. even locals have a tough time with it. a 25 litre board needed.

It takes me a few hard wipeouts to realize the wave type, which is my usual warm up, but at the end I find a way to surf it. I could use one of those sessions right now ... less-than-ideal surf on Sunday at PR.
gabrielb

Return to SUP and Surfing