Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Surf board size advice

When there's absolutely no wind

by Jack1587 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:45 pm

I was in Hawaii staying in Waikiki for a week. While I was there no wind to speak of anywhere on the island. Did a day trip to Maui and kited there but that was all. I surfed 4 times though. Ranging from 10' long boards to 5'6" short boards. The short board was the day we went to the North Shore. Anyways the point is I realize now how much more enegry I am using with my own 5'4" kitesurfboard. All the extra energy could have been going towards enjoying the waves and easier paddling. I now want a 100% proper (not for kiting) surfboard for all the waves around Vancouver and Tofino. I prefer shortboard style. (If one board can do all that). Can't wait to get into the surfing around Vancouver!
Jack1587

by tweegster » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:35 pm

Yup, foam can be your friend.

Size is a hard call, you have much better board skills and power to weight than the average beginner. Even 28 litres will probably be overkill. Here is a volume calculator

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/surfb ... e_calc.php

Go with something with a relaxed rocker and some width in the nose & tail. Our waves tend to be not so steep, coupled with a thick wet suit and weekend arms I need all the paddle power I can get. Paddlepower=wave catching.

I started off with a funboard and owned eight or so boards before I ended up with the standard 6'6" squash tail shortboard I love. I have disliked boards that "hide volume" in the nose (eg jerry lopez a la mo), the balance always felt off and they don't duck dive. With beach breaks having something small enough to easily duck dive but still paddle is helpful.

I am sure some more experienced folks will chime in.
tweegster

by gabrielb » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:58 pm

2c,
Might as well give you some idea of a surfboard for local Vancouver surf. My wave count in YVR is in the 1000's.

You need 2 boards, an easy paddle board (35 litres) and your true shortboard 23 litre surfboard that you ll use at tofino as well. Given your size ( I saw you at aside) 23 litres is plenty.
You will use your 32 litres shortboard for wreck beach and sandy aside to get your wave count. You ll use your 23 litres for pebble aside, point Roberts, and big days at Sandy aside, or surf that breaks close to the beach at wreck beach. You will catch half the waves if always using your 23 litres. Please buy nose guards for your boards I hate seeing young people with busted eyes because of surfing.
7 mm gloves is a must in winter time. Foam boards will absorb water after a year of use, good idea for your 32litres to gain momentum paddling, but not good for your 23 litre board , needs to be fibreglass.
Surf sessions are not perfect, but you ll get good rides.
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:48 am

66.JPG
66.JPG (41.16 KiB) Viewed 26410 times

go craiglist, search surboard. Go to surfboard above, looks great as your 32 litre wave counter. This should be your default surfboard for the next 6 months before moving to your 23 litres.

$225, can't beat price with bag, leash fins... a gift.

If you buy all of the above, brand new, it's $900. Make sure it's light for your liking.

offer $200 he'll take it.
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:32 am

I may have to give you tips for surfboard repairs as otherwise surfing will get expensive in YVR:

fixing fiberglass surfboard:

(1) go to the dollar store and buy 2-part epoxy and super glue ($1 each) + white sandpaper.
(2) go to canadian tire and buy fiberglass cloth.

for relative small dings (4 inch gash):

get fiberglass gash relatively flat (using a small knife or screw driver). seal gash with minimum amount of super glue, let it dry, sand the gash with sandpaper (do not remove white fiberglass particles after sanding) accumulate particle on gash and superglue again and let it dry, sand it again ... repeat until you like your fix.

for big dings:

get some white foam as a filler(packaging foam is fine) to support fiberglass, do the super glue fix once to get a decent shape. Cut some fiberglass cloth for gash , use 2 part-epoxy and coat the fiberglass cloth with it (cloth resting on gash, use drywall knife to spread), you'll see cloth and glue are meant for each other and will wrap gash just fine. Let it dry (1 hour), sand after (follow super glue fix if you don't like how it turned out).

I find dollar store epoxy is better quality than Canadian Tire's. Use a fan next to you repair in opposite direction to get fumes out of you face. Get hard wax and wax bottom of your surfboard, it makes paddling so much easier, it just slides on water (a trick nobody does).

For nose guards:
You may buy it anywhere, they are hard rubber ... but I find them too stiff.
Get 1 nerf amunition (soft foam with hollow centre), clip out tip cut across and glue this foam (with 3m spray glue, the only one that works on fiberglass) to the tip of your surfboard. It's softer, I think it'll work better if it ever gets on your face (replace as needed when damaged). $0.25 , and it's better protection
gabrielb

by Jack1587 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:48 am

Thanks for all the advice. I will go for a 32ish liter board on craigslist or ebay for now and once I have more money the other :lol: . I am used to repairing from sailing :lol: . Epoxy is my best friend :lol: Although I will be referring to this feed likely often for these tips haha. Can't wait to be out there soon. I'll get some bigger gloves and booties.
Jack1587

by Solardave » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi Gabriel. What kind of hard wax for the bottom of a surf board?
I had never heard of that before.
Thanks much.
Dave C
Solardave

by gabrielb » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:02 pm

Wax bottom with hardest wax you can find. Hardwood wax floor I used to use. Now I use Brazilian carnauba wax from cdn tire.
Surfboard will glide on water , find it easier to get into waves. Apply every 4 sessions.
Yes nobody does it, or there is anything written about it, a personal secret and an extra edge, wind swells require much upper body to get into. Just works, you ll be 3 feet ahead on your next wave.
gabrielb

by Solardave » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:08 pm

Thanks very much. I'll find some wax around here locally.

I haven't surfed in years but today I went to Birch Bay and did some paddling to get those muscles in shape.

I live 5 miles west of Ferndale and am looking forward to surfing with you guys someday. I used to live in Gearhart Oregon and surfed in the cove in Seaside for years.

Thanks again. Dave C
Solardave

by gabrielb » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:01 am

That's great. Dave, whidbey island faces juan da fuca, Sunny point( lummi bay) faces NW winds on the Southern strait;
Those 2 spots I think they have good surf but haven't had a chance to analyze them as they are out of driving distance to check them for surf/tide on a whim.If you can keep us posted of any local action at WA on those 2 spots, we certainly appreciate and we'll join you.
You are always welcome to join us, keep us posted when coming to surf so we make sure to post surf conditions worth driving. See you soon.
gabrielb

Next

Return to SUP and Surfing