Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

surfing vancouver - general

When there's absolutely no wind

by Slappy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:51 am

How do you deal with paddling in to the wind on the SUP? I would think that you'd be better off prone.
Slappy

by Richi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:14 am

I wish I could surf prone but I have too many neck issues to be lying down and looking up all the time. Sup is awesome for us old guys :)
The wind wasn't cranking so it wasn't too bad, plus your surfing on the point which wraps around to the left. The wind seems to be sheltered a bit and hitting you in the side, wouldn't have bothered if it was dead onshore.
Richi

by C36 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:59 am

Richi: what size is your SUP (length, width volume). Hope that question is not too personal! ;) I am shopping for one and am debating on size. Details listed here. Thanks
C36

by Richi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:39 pm

8'10" fanatic allwave, 145l with mast plug. I think it's a good size for a one board quiver, you can use it in flat water or waves. I think the width is more important than the length for stability, I would choose something from 30-32". Let me know next time your coming out, you can take Betsy out for a spin. Now I just have to decide how short I can chop my paddle, 8" overhead?
Richi

by Slappy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Richi wrote:I wish I could surf prone but I have too many neck issues to be lying down and looking up all the time. Sup is awesome for us old guys :)

Yeah, I have shoulder issues so I'm curious if the PR break is usually SUP surfable or just occasionally. Also I find SUP surfing short period swell really challenging.

How's the break for SUP surfing? I imagine it's more shore break where you wouldn't want to be on a SUP but I've never been there during the swell.
Slappy

by Gabriel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:04 am

SUP surf conditions are good up to 12 knots I find. My friend SUP while I surf. His website :
http://www.paddlesurf.ca/2012/08/photos ... t-jericho/

He is the only SUP surfer, 100% into surfing, that I know here in Vancouver. When surf happens he is there and I am there, that's how we met, countless dawn sessions. We must score the most surf sessions in Vancouver, I am beating him this year as he skis as well. I used to have a few photo of ambleside SUP, amazing SUP surf photos, can't find them. With SUP you take the wave sooner and there is a longer ride as it does not sink when you lose speed.
Shortboards are an advantage when changing directions while in a wave, it's quicker and because it's more responsive it's fun. I guess it's like comparing light wind windsurfing vs high wind windsurfing.
I am almost 42 I use a shortboard, it's not the age, it's your muscle memory. You can swim free style at a swimming pool once a week for a year for upper body, work on your legs (soccer, etc). Once you feel more agile and balanced ... you'll enjoy more.

1-12 knots any SUP OK.
12-18 knots longboard OK.
18+ shortboard makes life easier, it sinks and there is no drifting while waiting for a wave.
Gabriel

by Gabriel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Richi ... it's great to know there is surf at PR, and you had a few rides. I'll try it one of these days.
Haven't had a chance to windsurf, missing planing with my 7.0 sail through Burrard inlet. Lots of waterstarts last year, still lots to learn, when conditions are right windsurfing rocks.

No surf . But something is brewing coming Saturday/Sunday morning in the forecast.
Gabriel

by Richi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:03 pm

I hope to be back at PR soon, hopefully one day this week. I was talking to the surfers there and they say it can be pretty epic on the SE storms, I'm guessing with an outgoing tide. Next time I'm down I'll take some pics or a short vid.
Not allot off windsurfing this fall/winter but things are looking up. Its time you start getting some small gear, considering you like surfing and windsurfing so much, wave sailing should be the ultimate goal. Come out to BBay soon to check out the windsurfing than go to PR for some surf.
Richi

by Jaybrowner » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:02 pm

Wow! Beautiful pics Gabriel! I can't believe that one shot of Ambleside...very clean and glassy..almost didn't believe it was Ambleside. 8-) You definitely have to post up the next time swell hits the North Shore (sounds so Hawaiian). I've gone SUPing there before on a good NW and found it was almost too windy to paddle out..standing up.

I've been heading out to the coast a lot lately to surf and SUP. Have you ever been to Crescent beach on the Olympic Peninsula? It's great! how about Jordan River? JR is one of my favourite spots.....or Sombrio.
Jaybrowner

by Richi » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:45 pm

Hey Jay, are you going to come out tomorrow and do some sail boarding? I know you surfers think your more pure, just don't want you to forget your roots. Still living in the ocean front VW condo?
Richi

PreviousNext

Return to SUP and Surfing