Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Turning Surfboards

When there's absolutely no wind

by Alton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:47 am

Gabriel, Ulu, Tony360 and George - I'm starting to realize that kiting with a surfboard requires some good surfing technique. Looks like I need to break my old windsurfing habits. All this time I've been engaging the rail with front foot pressure when gybing as I do windsurfing. Now I understand this is poor technique. I need to use my back foot toe and heel pressure for bottom turns and cutbacks. This means wider and lower stance which feels a little awkward like doing the splits.

Do you guys have any more advice on improving my stance/technique? Sam (at SB on Tuesday) told me I should also swing my hips when turning - do you agree?

Last edited by Alton on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alton

by Alton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:07 am

I reviewed Tony's Maui video and see his back foot stays on the traction pad and front foot remains centred when turning.

Alton

by Tony360 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:11 am

Hey Alton,

I don't know what MR says, but Taj Burrow in his book writes that the foundation of good surfing is "flow" involving all four limbs. So for a toeside gybe (similar but not identical to a toeside bottom turn), these steps will improve flow.

-Back foot on the traction, best of all if the back foot is on the wedge, with your back leg making about a 45degree angle with the board. This helps with cranking the turn, and also allows you to have a wide stance without the poo man look
-Front foot near the sweet spot of the board
-send the kite before initiating the turn to ensure you are powered through the gybe
-Use your head/shoulders to initiate the turn by looking at the kite as it floats to the other side of the window, along with light toe pressure. You actually don't even have to think about toe pressure if you are looking at where you want to go
-As soon as you send your kite, drop your back hand and let it swing naturally in the arc that you want to turn. For a tighter turn, swing your back hand more aggressively. This arm movement will get your fins and rail to engage into the turn. You can drag that hand in the water if you are off balance

I have never heard anyone say that good surf turns require swinging of the hips, although hip swings will occur naturally as a consequence of head/arm movements (and a big top turn will involve swinging your entire body, head, shoulders, arms, core, hips, and kicking out your back foot as you hit the lip). More often I have heard good surfers say "spot where you want to go, and the turn will follow" and "use your arms not your feet to initiate the turn".

I would watch a few videos of Andy Irons if you want to see good surf style. https://vimeo.com/110548813

In terms of translating it to kiting this video is a good one. Not super technical but nice gybes and tacks
https://vimeo.com/65205613
Tony360

by Alton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:16 am

Tony - Many thanks for all the pointers. I'll try to practice proper turning technique this afternoon at Squamish and try to avoid the "poo man look" :lol:

I'm going to check out the videos now.
Alton

by gabrielb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:30 am

Alton, do not focus on lower body, focus on upper body, turn your upper body first and your lower body will follow.

Like in dancing (I tango danced for a while) move your parallel shoulders where you want to go, your surfboard will follow, the turn does not come from the lower body but your upper body. If your upper body does not move first, you'll force your move and it will not work. Hope that helps.
gabrielb

by Alton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:14 am

gabrielb wrote:Alton, do not focus on lower body, focus on upper body, turn your upper body first and your lower body will follow.

Like in dancing (I tango danced for a while) move your parallel shoulders where you want to go, your surfboard will follow, the turn does not come from the lower body but your upper body. If your upper body does not move first, you'll force your move and it will not work. Hope that helps.

Thx Gabriel. Makes sense. Heading up to Squamish now. Hope it works in flat water.
Alton

by jtorva » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:46 am

Alton, ride the surfboard more like your snowboard, driving the board with your back foot. A low stance will help to push you weight onto the rail and drive it into the turn. Watch surfing videos and you will see how they will throw their whole body into the turn.

Jordan
Jordan
jtorva

by Tony360 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:50 pm

https://vimeo.com/75229202

This one has pretty much every strapless trick in the book, and some waves.
Tony360

by Alton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:54 pm

Tony360 wrote:

This one has pretty much every strapless trick in the book, and some waves.

Sweet. I can only dream of doing those tricks.
Alton

by Alton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:58 pm

jtorva wrote:Alton, ride the surfboard more like your snowboard, driving the board with your back foot. A low stance will help to push you weight onto the rail and drive it into the turn. Watch surfing videos and you will see how they will throw their whole body into the turn.

Jordan

When snowboarding on groomers I lead with my front foot, twist the board then follow through with my back foot as I carve through the turn. Do I have that wrong too?
Alton

Next

Return to SUP and Surfing