Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Anybody in Vancouver Downwind SUP Foiling?

When there's absolutely no wind

by adam2 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:40 pm

Yesterday at the ferry terminal I met Kurk who was giving it a go, the swells were definitely big enough, but it's a pretty short run and I want to learn on something a little bit longer. Acadia to Kits looked doable today. Has anyone done this run yet? I am waiting for it to warm up a bit before I try and am hoping to do some wing upwind/SUP downwind Locarno Acadia runs on days I would normally just wing up and down. Also this evening there was a steep little swell off the rocks at Vanier Park just feet from the seawall path, it could be a fun spot to do mini laps downwind SUP foiling or handle paddle foiling with an easy walk back upwind and no huge paddle out. Any other foil masochists out there downwinding or thinking about it in Vancouver?
adam2

by SE2 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:23 pm

Yes, thinking of it myself. In fact am wanting to prepare for some downwinders from Viento to the marina at Hood River this summer.
SE2

by adam2 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:56 am

Nice, I'm hoping to start with some Hatchery laps and then Hatch to Event Site. I feel like the Gorge is going to be best bet for getting the back to back days to get over the steep learning curve.
adam2

by Slappy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:06 pm

The notion of DW'ing my Cruzader seems daunting, what I'm actually more interested in would be dock pumping from Jericho pier dock to the RVYC and then walking back. It's a bit over 1 km each way. If you fall you are only about a 250m swim back to shore.

I fear the JSCA would get annoyed though.

jericho.jpg
jericho.jpg (76.47 KiB) Viewed 1683 times

There is also some potential for smaller versions from the Kits YC dock to Kits beach (but they remove the dock during winter) and from the Heritage Harbour Marine dock to Vanier Boat Ramp (but that water is a bit sketchy).

First I need to get good at dock pumping though. Anyone know any good spots to pump in the city?
- I don't think the JSCA dock even has a ladder and I know the drop is a bit sketchy with the tires and rails
- Vanier boat launch is pretty nice but you have to worry about getting run over by power boats and fecal coliform levels

Too bad Foildrive v2 is so pricey.
I guess I could always invest $100 in a ladder setup as well but who wants to lug that to the beach.
Slappy

by adam2 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:27 pm

That sounds interesting. My foils are well sized right now for downwinding, but would be too small for anything but a few pumps off a dock before I'm gassed. I was thinking the same things about the Vanier docks when I was down there yesterday. How about the Alder Bay dock at the False Creek Community Centre? Of course you'd be in super stagnant False Creek water though, so you might end up dead from that, otherwise it seems like a great spot. I do know someone who taught himself dockstarts off the Jericho Pier's dock last summer, apparently he's even doing beach starts now which opens things up big time. The guy I saw downwinding at the terminal on Sunday later beachstarted and foil pumped halfway down the spit holding an umbrella and actually getting some glide from it :lol:
adam2

by Slappy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:44 pm

Beach starts on the rocky Terminal beach, sounds like a nightmare on the foil. It would be great to get to that beach start point but looks like it takes flexible hips so I'm not sure I'll ever get there.

Keep in mind you only need to pump about 30m off the dock and then you ride the swell the rest of the way if it's windy.

Another great thing about Jericho is if you get good at flat water pumping you can use the wind shadow close to shore to break it up in to a 1 km down winder followed by either:
- a 500m pump back + 500m walk
- a 850m pump back + 200m walk

JerichoCircuit.jpg
JerichoCircuit.jpg (244.15 KiB) Viewed 1648 times

Those would need a very efficient pumping foil to achieve though obviously. And it's probably still too windy even close to shore to get those kinds of distances but you never know.

It's like Yvonvite does on his circuit but he pumps all the way back. It takes him 1:30 to downwind and then only 1 minute to pump back. His circuit is only 450m total though:
RolleCircuit.jpg
RolleCircuit.jpg (83.92 KiB) Viewed 1648 times

Slappy

by cjsknight » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:39 pm

Hey Slappy,

I’ve put some effort into learning to dock (well, ladder) start this winter. Was just starting to get consistent starts when I broke my homemade pump board. Almost finished a new board so back in action soon. I’m on my second version of a ladder setup too. PITA to lug to the beach, but the crux of dock starting around here is finding the right dock… I’ve eyed that Vanier park floating dock - it is perfect, but as you say water is suspect.

Anyway, if yr interested I’ll be continuing to work on this skill in the near future when the new board is done - usually go to my local beach here on north shore, which is always calm water. Best spot I’ve found, and if I can get to 30 second pumps there is a floating dock to relaunch from offshore.

Let me know if you ever want to join - looking forward to some spring sessions before work…
Attachments
IMG_6520.jpeg
IMG_6520.jpeg (5.04 MiB) Viewed 1633 times
cjsknight

by adam2 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:44 am

Slappy - I mentioned the guy was beachstarting, but I think he was actually starting of the boat ramp down at that end of the ferry terminal spit. It still sounds sketchy with a nice foil though :lol:

I would for sure be in to dockstarting if the dock options were better in the city. For now I'm still working on the paddle-up party trick with a less than ideal foil setup.

Guys, post up if you're doing a dock session and want company, I am interested. I'll do the same if I plan on doing any downwinding, but I expect it will be Locarno wing sessions where I decide at a moment's notice to deflate once I've made it up to around Dog Beach or Acadia.
adam2

by Slappy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:54 pm

Yeah, I think my most likely scenario will be when sitting around at Jeicho hoping for the wind to pick up and just decide to bail on the wind and dock start. I should probably just commit to spending a few no wind forecasted weekend days to just get out there and do it. I guess with DST around the corner it could be an after work option as well.

I think the Vanier boat ramp is probably the place for it, especially in the winter when boat traffic is minimal. They don't do water sampling in the winter but the most recent readings from Sept 2023 look totally fine for all but one of the applicable stations

waterquality.jpg
waterquality.jpg (119.31 KiB) Viewed 1526 times

They don't even show the map in the off season but I would like to know where exactly West False Creek Station 23 is because it's the only one that is bad, all the other West False Creek stations and Sunset Beach stations are fine for swimming.
Slappy

Return to SUP and Surfing