Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Small wave sup vs windsurf

When there's absolutely no wind

by AlexK » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:44 pm

I am looking for a sup in the 90 liter 7' 5 - 7' 10 range...
I looked at the specs of my older JP FSW and noticed similar specs to the wave sups of today. I believe most wave sups have a slightly flatter deck shape than a windsurf board of same size.
Has anyone had any experience with paddling and surfing a small wave (windsurf) board. And how much different is it vs a surf sup?
Thx
AlexK

by C36 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:13 pm

AlexK wrote:I am looking for a sup in the 90 liter 7' 5 - 7' 10 range...
I looked at the specs of my older JP FSW and noticed similar specs to the wave sups of today. I believe most wave sups have a slightly flatter deck shape than a windsurf board of same size.
Has anyone had any experience with paddling and surfing a small wave (windsurf) board. And how much different is it vs a surf sup?
Thx

When I used to live in Ontario people (including myself) would try and 'surf' windsurfing hulls, but I never saw a wave caught on one.

The rocker profile (even on a windsurfing wave board would be too flat and a FSW will be even flatter) and outline (too narrow throughout - nose, belly, tail) would both be all wrong for SUP. What is the width on JP FSW?

I have three boards that are all similar in length and volume, but vary in width and performance/feel. I have wave SUP-sailed the two SUP's but never paddled to the FW.
  • 2015 Fanatic AllWave 120 8-3 8'3" x 32" (super user friendly elliptical outline)
  • 2013 Fanatic ProWave 119 8-10 HRS 8'10" x 29.25" (way more challenging to position with shortboard outline, but drops are easy-peasy)
  • 2015 Fanatic FreeWave 116 TE 7"9" 26" (WAY faster DTL and WS outline)
At 90 liter 7' 5 - 7' 10 you would have to be very small, very skilled or both to make it work as a SUP.
C36

by Michael » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:12 am

AlexK wrote:Has anyone had any experience with paddling and surfing a small wave (windsurf) board. And how much different is it vs a surf sup?
I tried it once on my 102L, I don't recommend it. :D I was paddling prone and it was a lot of work. I can't imagine trying to stand up paddle it. All Dave's points are bang on. Also you would have to refinish your windsurf board as the nonskid does a number on your skin and wetsuit. :o
My 7'4" hyper nut at 106L is close to the volume of my 102L and there is no comparison, it's a super stable smaller SUP.
C36 wrote:At 90 liter 7' 5 - 7' 10 you would have to be very small, very skilled or both to make it work as a SUP.
We know someone with those skills :D and he is selling his 7'4" 83L SUP, a little smaller than you're looking for but a super nice board! http://bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9643
Michael

by AlexK » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:29 am

Thx guys
All awesome thoughts...
I currently use a 8 4 quatro pro
It is around 120l
I am 70 kg. After 3 years of surfing it I just find it has become such a slug. So I looked at my JP sitting there... at 7 11 24.5 I thought hey I wonder if I should take it to the coast and try sup surfing it?
I agree with all your points for sure however if you check some dims on the small sups they are similar... and so makes a guy think if some conversions could be made. I never use the jp fsw anymore.
Cheers
AlexK

by AlexK » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:32 am

Also thx for the link to Dave's board.
Even for him I think it is small. He was using the 92l hypernut this summer out there... lol
AlexK

by grantmac » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:27 pm

Do you guys think the stability has to do with more volume towards the edges on the SUP? Basically less dome in the deck for a given outline?
grantmac

Return to SUP and Surfing