Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Depower Line Replaced

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Alton » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:06 pm

Just replaced the depower line on my North kite bar with Amsteel blue rope. Time permitting, hope to test in out at Squamish tomorrow.

Image Image
Alton

by C36 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:18 pm

I tried using the Amsteel for windsurfing outhaul and downhaul and found it REALLY hard to cleat and stopped using it. I have no idea how a depower line is attached so it might be a non-issue.
C36

by Alton » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:21 pm

C36 wrote:I tried using the Amsteel for windsurfing outhaul and downhaul and found it REALLY hard to cleat and stopped using it. I have no idea how a depower line is attached so it might be a non-issue.

Cleating is VERY important for the depower line. My old depower was slipping and popping loose on that crazy Locust day and totally freaked me out. Jerry uses the same Amsteel Blue rope so I expect it to work for me. Fingers crossed.
Alton

by C36 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:31 pm

C36 wrote:I tried using the Amsteel for windsurfing outhaul and downhaul and found it REALLY hard to cleat and stopped using it. I have no idea how a depower line is attached so it might be a non-issue.

Alton wrote:Cleating is VERY important for the depower line. My old depower was slipping and popping loose on that crazy Locust day and totally freaked me out. Jerry uses the same Amsteel Blue rope so I expect it to work for me. Fingers crossed.

I used silver and it was a really narrow gauge (3 mm or less from memory) and it was too thin to bite in the downhaul and outhaul cleat. If you can get your line to bite in the cleat with hand tension it will likely be fine. If Jerry has been using it I am sure it has been 'stress tested'! :D ;)
C36

by tweegster » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:45 pm

I re-did my north bar with Amsteel blue as well. No complaints, did my bridal lines on my kahoona too. Good job Alton.... had fun getting the pin out?
tweegster

by Alton » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:21 pm

tweegster wrote:I re-did my north bar with Amsteel blue as well. No complaints, did my bridal lines on my kahoona too. Good job Alton.... had fun getting the pin out?

Jeff - pulling out the pin was a real BITCH. Had to use a screw driver and hammer but chipped the assembly (shown below). I certain it's okay and tested it under load. Hope to find out tomorrow.

amsteel_depower.jpg
amsteel_depower.jpg (171.47 KiB) Viewed 14186 times
Alton

by tweegster » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:14 pm

No matter what the screwdriver mafia says, it's a chisel and a punch.

I worked at mine for a long time, then used some mouse milk (penetrant) left it over night and wailed on it again. Then when I put it back together I drove it in backwards and had to pull it again.....
tweegster

by Alton » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:34 pm

tweegster wrote:No matter what the screwdriver mafia says, it's a chisel and a punch.

I worked at mine for a long time, then used some mouse milk (penetrant) left it over night and wailed on it again. Then when I put it back together I drove it in backwards and had to pull it again.....

Hey Jeff - Lucas / Faceplant showed me his newer North kite bar and instead of a pin it uses 2 threaded screws requiring a hex allen key ... much more civilized than a chisel and punch.

Lucas - you should occasionally unscrew the assembly before it gets seized with salt. I wonder if you should oil it before re-assembling.
Alton

by tweegster » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:38 pm

I also have a 2014 North Bar.... so nice. The low friction insert really is an improvement, also the click and flip adjustable bar length is sweet. I can do it while the kite is flying if I forget. I didn't even notice the pin was replaced :D

My 2012 bar I have now set up with 27M lines and I increased the bar throw. Nice for the big kites.

Good point about pulling the allen head screws.
tweegster

by mparkes » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:42 pm

The time has come for me to replace mine on my 2012 North bar. Where did you get the line Alton?
mparkes

Next

Return to Kiteboarding