Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Death spiral on Good Friday

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Moeman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:18 am

A big thank you to Jeff and Adam for rescuing my kite and bar after having to release my way out of a death spiral. It is great to be sharing the water with such stand-up guys!
Moeman

by Alton » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:21 am

Moeman wrote:A big thank you to Jeff and Adam for rescuing my kite and bar after having to release my way out of a death spiral. It is great to be sharing the water with such stand-up guys!

Mike and I noticed something odd from shore. Good you were in shallow water. What went wrong?
Alton

by Moeman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:38 am

After a crash, my right wing tip inverted causing the kite to spiral. I pulled my safety but the lines were twisted and the bar could not travel up the lines to de-power the kite. I was struggling to get air and had to release my leash. All the kite needs are a few stick on patches and I'm good to go again. :D
Moeman

by tweegster » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:39 pm

Here is the video promised. Shows how center-lines wrapped around the bar prevents de-power in an safety release.. scary...
tweegster

by letsflykites » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:55 pm

Glad that you are safe!

Curious, is your leash attached behind you on your harness handle, beside you, or in front of you on your spreader bar?
“Excitement is the more practical synonym for happiness, and it is precisely what you should strive to chase. It is the cure-all.”
― Timothy Ferriss, The 4-Hour Workweek
letsflykites

by Moeman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:01 pm

Leash is attached on my back handle. I was being pulled like a rag doll by my hip, that is how I was able to find it and release.
Moeman

by tweegster » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:30 pm

I had my center lines wrap around my bar in one particularly bad wipe-out in Squamish. I couldn't sheet the bar, and it was left fairly powered. I was getting pulled but if I would have punched out, no de-power would have occurred. Luckily I was well up wind of any obstacles and I was able to force the center lines back around, and most critically I still had steering so the kite was at the edge of the window.

You had the worst case scenario, with a wingtip wrap/death spiral and the center lines wrapped around your bar preventing de-power on safety release. It was also very windy at that point. I don't see how you could have done anything different. Good job punching loose everything.

Kinda a good reminder that no matter how safe the gear is, there is still a potential for things to go quickly very wrong.
tweegster

by Faceplant » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:30 pm

Thanks for sharing. Glad you're OK.
Faceplant

by Alton » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:23 am

tweegster wrote:I had my center lines wrap around my bar in one particularly bad wipe-out in Squamish ...

I watched the video but still can't picture how centre lines can wrap around the bar. Next time we're at the beach maybe someone can show me.

If it's unavoidable, this serves as harsh reminder to occasionally check that you can quickly eject your leash.

Last year, when I tried to use my leash as a carry handle for my semi-deflated kite (walk of shame from Centennial back to 3rd), I discovered my Ocean Rodeo leash was jammed. I quickly replaced it with my North leash. However, I'm guilty of not testing it until I saw this video.

Thanks for the wake-up call.
Alton

by Slappy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:13 pm

+1 for North Leashes. I paid $60 for mine but worth it IMO. It makes my Blade and LF leashes look like junk. Image

One of the best deathloop vids to watch is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33HUFJmM-Bk

- dude waves off help on the beach to self launch beside people
- then he reverses his bar and pulls wrong side
- then his bar end gets caught up in his CL while he is being dragged on the sand and he can't activate QR
Slappy

Next

Return to Kiteboarding