Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui Kite Report

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Mike » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:27 pm

I had a bit of store credit with second wind so decided to take a kite lesson. Its been about 1.5 months since my last session which consisted of a solo 15-20 minute time on/in water. Short as I go downwind and there isn't often people downwind to land the kite so I have to do a self landing.

Major rec. For Charles as instructor. Very professional and positive. He's now on his own:

http://www.northshorekiteboarding.com

In the lesson I did regress on the first run then got better with "moments of brilliance". To me it seemed when the wind was solid and strong and water relatively flat I could take long runs and maintain my place on shore. When the wind was lighter and even with low waist high waves I was questionable. I'm told I have good fundamentals but need tow. Also better not to power stoke when already going fast :)

Although I was quite tired out energy wise by end of lesson it did give my upper body a much needed rest. I felt some leg work out happening on the longer runs.

Good fun, go again?
Mike

by Alton » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:12 pm

Mike - Excellent work. Hope to see you kiting soon in Vancouver. You'll find that kiting also gives your arms and abs a workout. Even though I've cut down my windsurfing by more than 50% I still haven't lost my strength probably because I get way more TOW.

Pick up some kite gear (9m + twin tip), so you can continue your learning in the spring of 2015 when shallow waters in Boundary Bay are ideal for beginners.
Alton

by Mike » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Alton - looking forward to being able to take advantage of those low tide days. Got the gear you suggest a couple of months ago! At $85/day to rent this was the way to go plus they were discounting 2014 stuff. However the deeper water for beginner me on my own and other priorities has limited my solo sessions to just a few very short ones.
Mike

Return to Kiteboarding