Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tofino Bound

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Faceplant » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Heading over to Tuff town for a 8 days. Hoping to score a couple of days in the surf. Looks like light wind on Sunday. Stay tuned!!!
Faceplant

by Faceplant » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:19 pm

Finally had a sniff of wind today. SE 13-20 marginal conditions for half the day. I launched on South Chestermans (side on shore). Pretty sketchy as there was some holes in the wind, but I had to try. Made 4 passes, then decided to pack it in. Been surfing my ass off. Today was the biggest so far. Rogue sets were in the 15 foot range. Average sets were 8 feet (North Chestermans) due to the off shore wind.
Assisted another kiter around noon with a launch. He failed. The waves would wash you in and cause slack in your lines making your kite fall. You really had to time it to put board on.
Looks like Thursday is a maybe. Hope to score some good wind one day out of 8.
Here is pics of waves.

Second pic is a view of waves entering Cox bay. Big suckers breaking way outside. I'm standing a few hundred meters from South Chestermans.
Attachments
IMG_2182.JPG
North Chestermans
IMG_2182.JPG (2.75 MiB) Viewed 13355 times
IMG_2205.JPG
Looking south.
IMG_2205.JPG (3.17 MiB) Viewed 13356 times
Faceplant

by Alton » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Yummy. Those waves look delicious
Alton

by AdrienGrelon » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Sick pics! You get the same sensation in windsurfing with waves pushing you in the same direction as the wind and killing the apparent wind... it sucks. Hope you get some wind before your days there are up, but if not the surf is looking voluptuous. Enjoy.
AdrienGrelon

by Michael » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:06 pm

That wave looks awesome!!! I want to go!
Michael

by C36 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:50 am

Thanks for sharing the picture FacePlant. 8-)

:shock: Swell looks a LOT larger and heavier than summer swell for sure. :D

Do you have any others of South Chesterman that day (that one of the large Macker headed into Cox Bay is hard to fully appreciate from that perspective - it would be interesting to see the smaller stuff wrapping into south Chestermans for perspective)?

Curious what the tide was (lots of wet sand in the first shot and the lip of the beach look exposed, but would be suprised if there was a low this time of year) and what the frequency was?

Again - thanks for sharing. :D
C36

by ShonanDB » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:57 am

That breaking wave in pic 2 is at least triple overhead to look like that from that distance. Beautiful wave but probably too much for any of us casual surfers. Anything over 6' thins out the line up and can be punishing if you're not in shape, especially when it is cold.

Check out Magic Seaweed for stats on wave size and period. Lots of days showing 10'+ in the winter months.
ShonanDB

by Faceplant » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:09 pm

I don't have any other shots of South Chesties that day. Looking at the photo it could've very well been a wave breaking on South Chestermans and not Cox. Lots of huge swell entering cox that day. Wave period was 15 seconds according to the local surf report on the radio yesterday. Still crossing my fingers for wind. :D
Faceplant

by C36 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:42 pm

Faceplant wrote:I don't have any other shots of South Chesties that day. Looking at the photo it could've very well been a wave breaking on South Chestermans and not Cox. Lots of huge swell entering cox that day. Wave period was 15 seconds according to the local surf report on the radio yesterday. Still crossing my fingers for wind. :D

That would be my guess given how much of the wave face you can see. The other puzzle is both waves look to have an off-shore wind (spray getting blown up, back and away from the face of the wave). If they were taken about the same time it must have been almost dead calm (or a NE wind to make that happen) - both awe inspiring waves for sure.

ShonanDB wrote:That breaking wave in pic 2 is at least triple overhead to look like that from that distance. Beautiful wave but probably too much for any of us casual surfers. Anything over 6' thins out the line up and can be punishing if you're not in shape, especially when it is cold.

Check out Magic Seaweed for stats on wave size and period. Lots of days showing 10'+ in the winter months.

Oh I'm with you (that was the reason I called them 'heavy') - not sure I have the skills required to be 'playing' out there.
C36

by Faceplant » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:45 am

Side shore that day on south chestermans. Straight offshore on North. Wind guru is indicating good wind tomorrow. Hope to have a couple more pics to share.
Faceplant

Next

Return to Kiteboarding