Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui kite session

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Mike » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:04 am

My first post in the kite section. :oops:

Since my low backs sore again I've got lots of time for posts :roll:

http://www.wtfbc.ca/viewtopic.php?f=18& ... 7035#p7035

Had a revenge kite session a few days ago. There was a bit of a mental issue as I reagravated my low back 2 weeks before when I was just starting water starts in a lesson and had to call it off.

My revenge session was with an outstanding instructor from KSM (Charles). Quick body drag refresher with a diberate self rescue IN the water (one thing I wish is that it was with the board). Then did 4 downwinders working on water starts. The 3rd one was "a moment" were I consistently got going on both sides with decent little runs. He saw me even start upwind once when I dropped the front hand. 4th run brought me back to reality and was OK. I'm weaker starting back in as I need to reset my position better. I'm a bit erradite riding as I have many things on my mind (weight forward, relax arms, look forward oops kite control, bigger upstoke...). It is oddly disconcerting (yet good) how little force you feel when riding compared to windsurfing. OK, now I need tow to get less eradicate and more fluent.
Mike

by Alton » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:23 pm

Mike - That's awesome! It took me a lot longer to get to where you are. TOW with the right gear will accelerate your learning - kite and board size matter!

Good on you for practicing self-rescues. When I self-rescue, I attach my board to a leash before I wind up my lines so it doesn't float away. After I finish winding up, I place the board inside the kite.

You'll discover (the hard way) that if you don't wind up your lines neatly, you'll end up with a couple of hours work untangling a ball of spaghetti.

Have you tried flipping the kite onto it's back then grabbing the wingtips to form a C-shape (spinnaker) to carry you back to shore? I found the trickiest part was figuring out how to flip the kite (onto it's back) by pointing the wingtip into the wind.

It sounds like you're soon ready for Squamish. Pace yourself so when you return you'll be ready for low tide at 3rd Ave in the spring.

Very soon you'll be comfortable with waterstarting and going upwind. Your next step will be the slide turn (transition).

Alton

by Mike » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks for the tips Alton. For self rescue, yes I flip the kite and use it as a sail.

For the board, do you disconnect the leash from the line and re-ttach to the footstraps at this point?
Mike

by Alton » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:55 pm

Mike wrote:Thanks for the tips Alton. For self rescue, yes I flip the kite and use it as a sail.

For the board, do you disconnect the leash from the line and re-ttach to the footstraps at this point?

I carry a separate retractable leash which most retailers never stock - probably to avoid the liability of recoiling boards. See http://www.amazon.com/Oceanus-EEL-Quick-Release-kitesurf/dp/B0069TQPNM. I have a ring attached to my board so I can clip on the leash. You can also wrap it around your footstrap.

You can make one using 5' of rope and tying some carabiners to the ends. You can also use this to perform a self-launch and self-landing by tethering your chicken loop to a log.

Check out how Lucas (Faceplant) self-launches at 0:33 to 1:00 and self-lands at 2:36 to 3:00.

Alton

Return to Kiteboarding