Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Nicola Thursday

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Faceplant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:38 am

Something is happening. Looks like Nicola is going to light up all day Thursday. I'm lucky enough to be travelling through the area again.
Being mid week, it'll likely be pretty quiet out there during the day. :o
Faceplant

by jumpjyber » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:05 am

I sailed it on "Big Saturday" last weekend, 32-48 with higher gusts, it was crazy busy....(I was one of 3 windsurfers!!)
jumpjyber

by Alton » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:10 am

jumpjyber wrote:I sailed it on "Big Saturday" last weekend, 32-48 with higher gusts, it was crazy busy....(I was one of 3 windsurfers!!)

Gregg - Glad to see you're back in one piece after that horrific boating accident last year.

Alton

by Faceplant » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:12 pm

Is that for real??! Holy shit! Looks like you got run over, either that or you fell out of the boat while it was being trailered down the coquihalla hwy!!

Today was good at Nicola. I arrived early. By 3pm it was game on. I was the only one at the sailing centre. Luckily a dude let me in as he was leaving. The gate was left dummy locked so I could get out. I self launched and rode 9M for 90 mins. Nice waves were forming. I felt like I was surfing some small tofino shore break a few times.
Decided to hurry home to see my boy before he went to bed. I'd been out of town for 7 days. He smiled when I saw him. (pretty good for a 6 week old)!

Wind was fairly steady. I measured it to be 20-22 kts with gusts to 29. Gusts were spaced out. So it was easier than last weeks 54kt madness where it would gust every 30 seconds.
Faceplant

by jumpjyber » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:45 am

thanks Alton, good to finally get back on the water (if only for short sessions!). 4 surgeries and MILLIONS of pills (T-3's, Oxy, Neproxen, M-Tech 30 and celebrex) later and I still feel kinda like a crippled 85 year old chain smoker. I might have to take up bridge and cribbage....a lot less gear to rig and lug around :lol:
jumpjyber

by jumpjyber » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:01 am

Hey Faceplant, the highway 5A "memorial" pull-out just south of the yacht club is always open and subject to cleaner, direct onshore wind, IMHO. I have launched from there lots of times as the sailing center charges 250 bucks a year or 20 bucks a day to use their facilities. Just look for the Canadian flag on the beach, there is parking for a few cars and a small rigging area...it is upwind of the sailing center (heading back towards Merritt)
And yes, I did in fact get run over by a 24 foot fishing panga in La Ventana last year. Many broken ribs, shattered hip, punctured lung, 2 pulmonary embolii, and 8 stitches in my lip from being speed bumped. Lucky to be here is all I can say!! :D
jumpjyber

by Alton » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:27 am

jumpjyber wrote:thanks Alton, good to finally get back on the water (if only for short sessions!). 4 surgeries and MILLIONS of pills (T-3's, Oxy, Neproxen, M-Tech 30 and celebrex) later and I still feel kinda like a crippled 85 year old chain smoker. I might have to take up bridge and cribbage....a lot less gear to rig and lug around :lol:

Excellent Gregg - keep up the recovery
Alton

by Faceplant » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:42 am

I saw the pullout you mention but not sure rigging a kite there is easy. It's definitely very windy there.
Run over by a ponga? Holy crap! You are lucky to be alive for sure!
Faceplant

by Slappy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:46 am

jumpjyber wrote:And yes, I did in fact get run over by a 24 foot fishing panga in La Ventana last year.

Were you kiting or windsurfing at the time?
Slappy

by jumpjyber » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:55 am

windsurfing, it was an evening session, I was sailing into the sun, he was coming from my blind side, we just never saw each other....he had his 90HP 4 stroke wide open...I was wound on my 5.2...felt like hitting a brick wall!
jumpjyber

Return to Kiteboarding