Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Nicola

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Faceplant » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Looks like tomorrow should be windy. Time to go back and giver shit!
The waves can get pretty good there ( meaning 3 footers max :) ) which I look forward to shredding with my new Slingshot Tyrant 5'11 board. I have an old full suit I might turn into a shorty too.
Really good group of guys and gals hang out there. Should be fun.
Faceplant

by Alton » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Faceplant wrote:Looks like tomorrow should be windy. Time to go back and giver shit!
The waves can get pretty good there ( meaning 3 footers max :) ) which I look forward to shredding with my new Slingshot Tyrant 5'11 board. I have an old full suit I might turn into a shorty too.
Really good group of guys and gals hang out there. Should be fun.

Lucas - Saturday is looking great for Nicola Lake. Remember to take your small kite. Hope you enjoy the Tyrant which is an advanced surfboard (narrow with plenty of rocker). I'm considering a more beginner/intermediate surfboard (6' Slingshot Verve) but looking forward to your feedback.
Alton

by Faceplant » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:59 pm

I'll share my experience. I wasn't looking for a lightwind surfboard, but more less a board I could use to actually surf waves. I'm faced with a dilemma. The board was missing screws for the rear foot strap. So I either have to attempt riding with only the front strap. Or to ride strapless. I think trying to ride strapless will be the best choice. Stay tuned!
Faceplant

by Faceplant » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:27 pm

Awesome day. Arrived at 130pm, set up tent for the wife to take shelter if needed since our child is only 3 weeks old friday. Probably 30 kiters there, but at the most I'd guess at 12 on the water at any one time. Started out with 12m in very steady nice manageable wind. Dark clouds rolled in and the lake turned black. Wind speed picked up and soon it was time for 9M. Had only 30 min session with 9M then things returned to normal. Back out on 12M for another hour. Lots of nice rollers, friendly folks, not too gusty, and got to wear the 3mil suit which was a bonus.
I tried the surfboard. Didn't bother removing the front strap. Holy shit that is difficult! It's gonna take a couple more tries to get used to that feeling. Very responsive steering, hard to figure out the best foot placement. I went out, and came back to starting point and that was enough. Almost found myself too far downwind to make it back. Decided to put the board away, and enjoy the rest of the session on the Mako instead. I think the surf board thing will be lots of fun, just need to force myself to try again soon. Day use fee has gone up to $20.
Faceplant

by Alton » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:05 am

Hey Lucas - Looks like you're scoring good wind - more coming this afternoon.

I think your 5'11'' Tyrant surfboard should be well suited for Boundary Bay swell but will take some time and patience to learn. Thanks for the feedback.
Alton

by Faceplant » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:03 am

Boundary Bay swell will be fun. Not to mention Vancouver Island.
We came home last night so no afternoon session.

Funny thing I forgot to mention. The "local" crew at Nicola launches their kites with the kite close to the water, and the "other crew" launched with the kite towards the parking lot. Towards the water is safer, and the wind is better.

Also - NO ONE, uses the thumbs up for launching. Not sure why the heck they don't use it.
Faceplant

by Faceplant » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:53 am

Looks like Wednesday Wind Guru is predicting moderate winds but from the north.
Anyone ever experience this? Could it be possible to ride? Launch could be tricky.
Faceplant

by Alton » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:57 am

I heard Nicola Lake only works on SW to W.
Alton

by davidgnewhouse » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:31 pm

North swell hits today.Here I don't count the days I sail ,but instead the days I don't sail ..easier to keep track of...sorry guys /gals
davidgnewhouse

by jumpjyber » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:38 am

Nicola works on a northerly, but can be flukey and short lived.....however, saying that, it blew all day from the north on Monday....easily sailable from monck park or NIcola Lake Shore Estates boat ramp.
jumpjyber

Next

Return to Kiteboarding