Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Tofino this weekend

Kitesurfing shop talk

by 8mdude » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:27 pm

Glad you guys scored. I got discouraged by the 8 hour wait times. Now in similar boat. Off for today and next 2 days + weekend and lacking appetite to go anywhere. Damn Covid19!
8mdude

by C36 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:00 am

Session 4 – SUP – Long Beach (2020 June 30)

Monkey Mafia. Mid-day SUP to start things off. More variety in wave size with some pulses of south swell that made for challenging decisions at times. My rhythm felt off and I took many of the large ones on the head on the inside. Thanks to Johnny and Heather who let me demo their Quattro Glide 110. Very easy to stand on and catch waves given its fairly narrow width – fun whip! Nice to see Bamfield Dave out ripping lefts off Incinerator and to see the NW flow wind line arrive from the water! The BWD Dave crew decided to hit tinnies for a repeat, but Ethan wanted to try to kite North Chesterman and South Chesterman (and I secretly wanted to go there too) – thank to Tony for the OSR text.

Gallery (to view as a slideshow click on the screen icon top right)

Session 5 – wavesailing – South Chesterman (2020 June 30)

Progression. Ethan and I took to North Chesterman to let him warm up – unfortunately the odd waist-high-plus sets kept him close to the beach. He showed creativity in trying several different strategies for getting off the beach, but was only rewarded with a few short rides.

Better luck at South Chesterman with the flat water at the west end of the beach. Fun sailing together, working the onshore shore break at NC and caught one memorable felt-like-more-than-six-turn-wave at SC that made the whole session worthwhile. Looks like all the kiting desensitizing training sessions I have been taking up at Squamish spit have finally paid off – I was pretty comfortable sailing in the heart of the bee-hive (most of the time – some of the behavior is still a touch unnerving). Ethan was a little frustrated, but I saw a huge progression since the last time he kited South Chesterman (two safe launches, sessions and landings in pretty challenging conditions/crowds) – proud parent moment. The bonus was I started the day with an empty air mattress and ended it with a full one (simple repair) – life is good!

C36

by Slappy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:31 pm

You should get Ethan a Wave Bandit Performer 4-10, that way he can wear a surf leash without fear of injury (it's also a kick ass surf board too though). I find that kitesurfing in legit waves most of the time you'll want a surf leash. Only time you don't really need one is straight side shore wind.
Slappy

by Ryan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:03 pm

:D "kiting desensitizing training"
Ryan

by Michael » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:52 am

Ryan wrote::D "kiting desensitizing training"
Funny! Hey Dave thanks for the updates and pictures as usual! Sorry I missed the not so Oregon Coast trip, glad you guys had a good time.
Michael

by C36 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:16 am

Ryan wrote:: :D "kiting desensitizing training"

Michael wrote:Funny! Hey Dave thanks for the updates and pictures as usual! Sorry I missed the not so Oregon Coast trip, glad you guys had a good time.

Dunkinguy on BWD.ca wrote:Fun doing the Not Oregon Coast right here with the gang in the backyard.

As Dunkinguy said SOC-trip-Tofino-style has been fun. You company has been missed. Did an even class-off-session at LB last night with BWD and The Law that I took in part to dedicate to you. Hope to share a session again soon brother. 8-)

Session 6 – SUP – Long Beach (2020 July 1)

First. Ethan got his first SUP in – the waves were finally big enough to draw him out onto the water. Funny that he got in windsurfing and kiteboarding sessions before a SUP session. Fun group of BWD, Pete (surf foil), Lisa and Johnny. Lots to choose from. The larger ones were a touch round, but rides were had by all.

Session 7 – wavesailing – South Chesterman (2020 July 1)

Fireworks. I was hopeful NW flow would kick at South Chesterman again today. We did a 4 pm look-see but it was really light and really flat, so did a grocery run and grabbed a take-out pizza from the Shed to eat back at the beach. By the time the pizza was done it was “go” time! Ethan had his doubts but it was fun for me (he opted out). Waves were more consistent then yesterday but wind was lighter so took more sail (6.1) and more fin (24 cm) – they did seem to help get moving they both really seemed to make the board slow and heavy to respond to on the wave. Net result of conditions plus equipment resulted in higher wave count then yesterday. Fewer neighbours – only four kites up. Thanks again to Ethan for shooting pictures again today. You could hear Canada Day fireworks in the distance (likely on Long Beach).

Last edited by C36 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:00 am

Session 8 – SUP – Long Beach (2020 July 2)

Merry-go-round. Got caught on the look-see merry-go-round – NC (low-tide shore pound), SC (too small and wind blown), Long Beach (looked OK), Flo (wind blown line and peak up in the rock garden), Wick (unruly), back to Long Beach (looked settled and clean) – time to give Long Beach a shot. Ethan wasn`t convinced so I went out just in time for the wind to stir things up and there was a lot of current too so it got turned into a bit of a garbage can. Got one really nice long open right after hunting for what seemed like forever, so decided to save some energy for the evening glass off.

Session 9 – SUP – Long Beach (2020 July 2)

Glass off. BWD and The Law were out and working the shoulders for long rides. I joined in a little late (tide came up that extra little bit and they all started to close out). This was the session I took for Tsawwassen. Still got a couple of short rides on a couple of heavy waves. Nice to get wet again. Thanks to Ethan for shooting.

C36

by C36 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:00 pm

Session 10 – SUP – Cox Bay (2020 July 3)

Demo. Tested rode a Quattro Carve Pro 7’10” x 27.5” x 99 litres. Big drop in length (-6 inches), width (-4.5”) and volume (-21 litres) from my go-to board (8’4” x 32” x 120 litre Fanatic AllWave). I wasn’t sure it was going to be doable and figured I would be back at the van grabbing my board or Ethan’s board for most/all of the session. But it worked! It more than worked – it ripped! Fairly easy to paddle out on my knees, but once standing up it took a lot of concentration and effort to stay onboard and position to catch waves. I would have caught way more waves on my board, but this one offered a really responsive platform once you were on the wave. At 5.9 kg the Carve Pro is uber light and this helps make it super responsive – so much so I almost did an accidental wave 360 when I railed it with a hard bottom turn pressure used on my board. If we had glassy conditions most of the time I would consider this size, but we don’t. Love the on-wave feel of this board but would really like to try the 8’ x 28.5” x 109 litre to see how much easier it is to position and how much of impact the extra size has on the on-wave performance. BIG thanks to Dan and Jesse (Redbaron) for making this happen!

Session 11 – windsurfing – China Creek (2020 July 4)

Underwhelmed. Super funky low-level wind and too light. It looked windy at times, but it wasn`t. Used the time to practice heli tacks (and as a result light wind waterstarts and uphauling – more uphauling today than the rest of the year combined). Also spent a good deal of time watching out for: high-speed fishing boats (over 100 out); 12 m kites on foils doing fly-bys (many overconfident pilots over lapping kite/lines), kites hitting the water after failed turns or ‘tricks’ (people learning), and kites falling out of the sky in the funky wind (all kinds). Still a beautiful day and clearing sky holds promise for a `better` day tomorrow.

C36

by C36 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:45 pm

Session 12 – windsurfing – China Creek (2020 July 5)

Similar. All the signs pointed to a `better` day than yesterday (marine layer to the south, clear sky overhead, early inflow, but it turned out to be very similar to yesterday (including the overlapping), The difference was today there were some short rides to be had about 6 pm when the wind shifted more south and started to gust. Did a one-on-one fin test and prefer the MFC FreestyleWave 29 cm to the Makani freeride pointer 34 cm. I came in when I thought it was done, but it tricked me and the real power-half-hour was at pot-banging time (7 pm). Silly me – should have stayed on the water until dark.

Session 13 – windsurfing – China Creek (2020 July 6)

Charm. Third day was a charm (sort of), despite being the worst forecast of the three. It started to inflow at China Creek at 9 am (four hour ahead of Harbour HQ). Still big gear weather (6.1/116/28 for me and 8-10 m and foils for the kites) but it was stable (close to the water), fairly steady and slightly stronger than the last two days (all good). Sailed right in close to the lighthouse today (header on the way in and lift on the way out and some nice flat water. Enough swell that jumps were possible. This travel day draws the trip to a close. Good run – nice to spend time outside.

C36

by C36 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:55 pm

Windsurfing harness found at Long Beach about a month ago (in June). If it's yours, contact Uddereef (Adrian) at http://www.bigwavedave.ca
C36

Previous

Return to Kiteboarding