Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Cabrinha Foil Problem

Kitesurfing shop talk

by joeblo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Recently got a Cabrinha hirise varial M and the first day I was using it wake foiling, the fuselage came off. When the new one arrived I was surprised to discover that the screws holding the fuselage to the mast only protruded 8mm of thread. Did some searching and found that for aluminum, the thread depth should be 2 times the bolt diameter. So the 8mm bolt should go 16mm into the mast by industry standard. I have a picture of me crashing and the foil actually came off in the water. I did not hit anything while foiling along either. It is strange that the top mount bolts go into the mast more that 20mm while the fuselage bolts only go into the mast 8mm. It seems like a design flaw to me. Anyone else have this problem? Do you think that 8mm (5/16") is enough to hold the fuselage to the mast on a connection that has a very shallow 1-2mm mast insert into the fuleage? I have to think I am not alone here as this has bound to have happened to others
Thanks

PS.... Sure I got longer bolts for the new mast to foil connection, but the short ones were the cause of the lost fuselage and wings, and I think Cabrinha should have provided me with new ones. I went through my retail store to try and get it replaced, but Cabrinha's stance was that the bolts were correct. So now after not being satisfied with the construction of the first one, I am trying to find out if this problem has occurred to anyone else.
Thanks
joeblo

by JonathanP » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:04 pm

That's crazy, my slingshot and liquid force fuselage to mast bolts are probably 5cm of thread deep into the mast. There's a lot of forever on that connection!
JonathanP

by imdmitry » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:17 pm

I have Liquid Force Happy Foil. It's (2) M8x60mm Fuselage to Mast Bolts. Fuselage probably 2cm think.

May be try Teflon tape sealant. It makes it more tight.
imdmitry

by bandito » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:32 pm

You are right, the salesman and Cabrinah are responsible for that screw up ( pun intended) also All the manufacturer come at some point with a fuck up in design or production quality.
Locktight Blue ( not red ) is great way to hold screws better in general.
bandito

by imdmitry » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qo7Vj66JbU

He was able to rescue his lost foil.
imdmitry

by telus022420 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:50 am

Youtube video removed by owner.
telus022420

Return to Kiteboarding