Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Monday Jericho

Kitesurfing shop talk

by Slappy » Tue May 19, 2020 11:52 am

I hadn't realized that the Vancouver lifeguards aren't working due to Covid until walking my dog on Kits beach yesterday. Once I did it was time for a sunny and warm Tolmie St. session.

Lots of wind foilers out at first. A few kite foilers and a few TTers flailing.

A couple questions for the wind foilers:

1) They all seemed to go in once the wind dropped down to 11-12 knots, was that because they needed bigger sails? A bit later a guy on a red wind foil rig was ripping around in the light wind

2) It seemed like all the wind foilers were just kind of tacking back and forth in a NW line out of Jericho. I'm curious why they don't go more places like we do when kite foiling? One of the big draws of a foil for me is the ability to go 2 km up or down wind with ease. Also my favorite thing to do kite foiling is to ride up to the east dolphin and then surf the bumps over the sandbar back down to Jericho. Is the reason wind foilers prefer that NW line off Jericho because it's more 45 degrees to the wind instead of straight downwind?
Slappy

by adam2 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:08 pm

I can't comment on what the wind was doing when everyone went in, but I can tell you that going upwind is a huge draw for me windfoiling. Even if I can't point as high as a good kitefoiler it's easily possible to go waaaay upwind windfoiling. When I was out yesterday evening I just sailed up to the kite concession launch from the pier, not very far. The last few times I've tried going really far upwind, the wind has shut off on me and I had to schlog back, and missed out the swell riding. The best part about going upwind on a windy day like yesterday are the powder turns downwind. I figured I'd cut my losses by not venturing too far upwind, I'd do one or two reaches upwind then ride them back over and over again.
adam2

by BigD » Tue May 19, 2020 8:22 pm

I'm working on foiling jibes so that's why I'm mowing the lawn in front of the beach. If I nail one someone better damn well see it!
BigD

Return to Kiteboarding